iOS7... and iOS9

I don't know what's happened now, maybe it's always been like this since the switch to iOS9 - the text cursor does not behave at all well in the forum post editor in rich text mode. It used to be like this before, but a forum software update sorted it out.

Update: it's something to do with Mercury. It's fine in Safari (but Safari doesn't have an ad blocker...). Turning off the ad blocker didn't solve it.

Last edited:
I'm getting fed up with Mercury, it's very glitchy particularly with text input fields such as for this forum. It also drops the keyboard at any excuse (such as something updating on the current web page). Safari works better, but then screws up because of the ad server crap that Mercury blocks.

Any other suggestions?

Perhaps it is time to upgrade to an iPad Air, or later. Then you will be able to use Safari, and a separate ad blocker.
I am using Adblock Plus, which is much more effective than the ad blocker built into Mercury. On the other hand, you could install the new version of Mercury, and see if it is any better.

I would quite like to get my hands on a 64GB Air2, the only thing stopping me is the wish to obtain some value from disposing of my current 16GB iPad3.

I have downloaded every update, so I'm not clear what you mean about the "new version".

The version of Mercury browser that I have on my iPad Air, is no longer supported or being issued with updates. There is a new improved version of Mercury browser from a different developer, but this would require an additional purchase, and unlike the old version, this one has an annual subscription of approx £17 for the premium version.

I had a play with the Dolphin browser, and initial impressions were extremely positive (I don't like the lack of a traditional user-definable home page - it has a list of user-definable short-cuts as a home page).

However, on the HummyTV forum I can't get a cursor in a post create/edit window at all!! Another Xenforo site I use doesn't have this problem, maybe it's using an older version of Xenforo. Certainly there seem to be general problems linked with HummyTV and my update to iOS9.

(I had to switch back to Mercury to post this)

I've gone 64-bit!

Hopefully I can leave some of these niggles behind (I'm not stupid enough to think it will cure all ills), and have some sexy new stuff to play with.

Anybody know what this is?:

image.jpeg

It seems to open some kind of US web site for telecoms, I have no idea where it came from but I seem to recall it was on the old iPad too.

I can no longer select text for copy in Notes without opening the note for editing....

When text editing, it is not possible to move the cursor to the end of a string that the spell checker thinks is invalid without the string becoming highlighted for replacement - whatever you do, except move the cursor away again, results in the existing string being removed or replaced.
Neither of these seem to be a problem in 64-bit 9.3.2.

So you are excited that a bug introduced by Apple has been fixed by Apple? I bet you are thrilled by all those Humax bugs that never get fixed, too? :-D

But surely, foe three D, the two lenses have to be spaced horizontally. That should prove interesting for those who take video in portrait.

But surely, foe three D, the two lenses have to be spaced horizontally. That should prove interesting for those who take video in portrait.

Apple intend to move one eye of any fans.

Thinking about it, that's blx. You can still see in 3D with your head tilted sideways 90 degrees.
The two images in vertical array taken with the iphone might be difficult to combine unless you have the eye relocation, though, as BH said!

Do we remember (record) in 3D?

I had a play with the Dolphin browser, and initial impressions were extremely positive (I don't like the lack of a traditional user-definable home page - it has a list of user-definable short-cuts as a home page).

However, on the HummyTV forum I can't get a cursor in a post create/edit window at all!! Another Xenforo site I use doesn't have this problem, maybe it's using an older version of Xenforo. Certainly there seem to be general problems linked with HummyTV and my update to iOS9.

(I had to switch back to Mercury to post this)
Dolphin is now looking good; I have been using Safari as default but I'm re-testing Dolphin as a routine browser and it seems to have been fixed (Dolphin offers a setting to default to desktop mode rather than automatically fetching the mobile version of a web page). Safari on iOS has one major advantage though: opening a URL from anywhere else (eg an email) defaults to opening in Safari and there's nothing the iOS user can do about it.

Back