iOS7... and iOS9

What??? It doesn't understand the word "within" now!!!

Another thing: the post editor in the forum now presents the whole post in a long (if necessary) panel that extends beyond the height of the screen. It used to do that, but got tweaked so that it presented in a scrollable window (which was better).

Bloody auto-correct! Type "white" and it assumes you are about to type "White House" and it capitalises the W, then when it realises the next word is not "house" it goes back and switches the case of the W again. I have similar trouble with Main Street - see, it just capitalised them (I didn't type that)! What if I was just talking about a house that happened to be white, or the main street that didn't happen to be called Main Street? Idiots.

Fortunately (as I have just discovered), there are three suggestions that pop up in the bar above the keyboard as you type, and I didn't realise but if there is one in speech marks that is what was typed regardless of typos and it can be selected to confirm. Equivalent of the "X" in iOS7 I suppose. What's more, even before you start typing a word, there are suggestions what the next word might be! Not bad (but not often enough correct to make it worth looking).

Last edited:
It's exactly as you describe it on my Android S5 except that I can type 'The white house' without it capitalising it.
Too many Apple fanboys around here:roflmao:

Tried an alternative keyboard yet BH? You do lose the two finger trackpad though.

Trev : while we're talking about alternative keyboards, try the Hacker's Keyboard for android, it's much better than the standard one with navigation keys etc., it also has 'word suggestions' when you start typing

Tried an alternative keyboard yet BH? You do lose the two finger trackpad though.
That's another interesting feature not available to iOS7. I'm not that wedded to the trackpad, although I find cursor movement the normal way is more fiddly than it used to be. Any recommendations? Any 3rd party keyboards that offer customisable dictionaries???

BTW: if you go into trackpad mode and move the cursor... and then spread the fingers, it creates a selection region instead of just a cursor placement.

They're all supposed to learn from what you type abd the auto corrections you choose to ignore. I use swiftkey.

Selecting text in a post edit on this forum can produce some weird effects: the position of the displayed selection block can be displaced from the actual text - even off screen - although the actual text really is selected.

I actually had selected the line "LCN:x-y"!

image.png

Trev : while we're talking about alternative keyboards, try the Hacker's Keyboard for android, it's much better than the standard one with navigation keys etc.,
I'll give that a go later and see what happens.
it also has 'word suggestions' when you start typing
My current bog std Android keyboard does that already and suggests whole words before you start typing.

Fortunately (as I have just discovered), there are three suggestions that pop up in the bar above the keyboard as you type, and I didn't realise but if there is one in speech marks that is what was typed regardless of typos and it can be selected to confirm. Equivalent of the "X" in iOS7 I suppose. What's more, even before you start typing a word, there are suggestions what the next word might be! Not bad (but not often enough correct to make it worth looking).
...and what's more, clicking a suggestion automatically adds a space after it, so if you actually wanted punctuation you need to delete the space. Although this is the less frequent occurrence, hitting space after typing a word is habitual but deleting a space before punctuation is not.

I use swiftkey.
Okay, I've installed it and I'll let you know.

I couldn't find any alternatives in the app store - nothing that wasn't "fun" or a music keyboard anyway.

Something I'm already getting is that going back to correct something results in the predictions starting a new word, even though it's in the middle of a word, and then hitting space at the end puts a new complete word in instead of just the correction...

I'll (that should have been ill) white house main Street (??) within without I'll wed ill ill ill (trying to teach it)

Why can't I drag the cursor Around? And why has it capitalised "around"??

Last edited:
iOS7 weirdness (I'm using 7.1, but I have verified it on 7.1.2):

Double click the home button to get the preview tiles (whatever they're called). Sometimes the WiFi and battery status (top left and top right) symbols are present, sometimes not. If they are present, rotate the screen orientation - the status symbols rotate to be at the top of the screen, but the remainder of the screen elements do not (background, preview tiles, app icons).
In iOS9 there are no status indicators in the app preview, and the preview does not rotate with screen orientation.

Take some video in landscape mode, and then in portrait mode. In Photos, with the screen in landscape mode select the landscape video and it fills the screen. Swipe to the portrait mode video and it is in a pillar box, but too narrow. Rotate the screen to portrait and it expands - but remains too narrow. Now swipe back to the landscape video, it is displayed in a letter box but not tall enough. Rotate to landscape, and it expands but remains too short. Rotate to portrait and then swipe to the portrait mode video, and it fills the screen. Rotate to landscape and swipe to the landscape video, and again it fills the screen.
This is now fixed. Video plays with black bars so that you see the full image by default, only zoomed in if you pinch-zoom.

I don't think I like SwiftKey. That's the second time I have had to change "punch" back to "pinch"

...and what's more, clicking a suggestion automatically adds a space after it, so if you actually wanted punctuation you need to delete the space. Although this is the less frequent occurrence, hitting space after typing a word is habitual but deleting a space before punctuation is not.
If you just put punctuation, doesn't it delete the space automatically?
SwiftKey certainly does.
(Swype is another well regarded keyboard but I haven't used it)

Never thought to try that. It,so all very unintuitive. (Left as-is, supposed to read "It's all very...")

Testing,

So it does!

I think the problem is that there is going to be a learning curve with SwiftKey, which I have already attained with the standard keyboard (although less so with the iOS 9 keyboard), and actually I am not at the moment seeing a great deal of difference from the standard keyboard - except SwiftKey makes a bigger mess when it makes a mess. I will have to switch back after a couple of days and see how the standard keyboard grabs me then.

I have cursor dragging again, maybe it was just a glitch before.

They are all supposed to learn your behaviour and where you kit the keys so it may be a matter of giving them time to adjust. In Swiftkey at least you can view the adjustments it's made to the keyboard based on your typing style. Like a fountain pen, don't let anyone else use it!

If you just put punctuation, doesn't it delete the space automatically?
SwiftKey certainly does.
(Swype is another well regarded keyboard but I haven't used it)
I use Swype which I find good, but I haven't tried anything else recently, so can't compare.

I have turned off SwiftKey and already I prefer the clarity of the standard iOS keyboard graphics over the options available in SwiftKey as standard (without paying for additional skins). It was getting on my wick - maybe it's great if you can train yourself to use the predict ahead stuff instead of hitting the keys for whatever word you are typing, but the standard keyboard in iOS9 does similar things anyway and seems a lot less trouble.

Customisable keyboards have been around since iOS8 - which I bypassed - so maybe SwiftKey was a huge improvement on the iOS8 keyboard and the standard keyboard has now caught up.

The other thing SwiftKey does - gesture typing - I tried briefly but couldn't get on with. It may be great for the kids or phone keyboards (tiny!), but when you've been typing for over 30 years it takes some retraining to do anything else.

Being unable to drag the text cursor doesn't seem to be SwiftKey related. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I am so far unable to discern a pattern.

Back