iOS7... and iOS9

iOS has irritations, certainly, but as far as I can see Android tablets are still only suitable for people who know a bit about what they are doing. I have seen non-techy users struggling with a Samsung Galaxy when an iPad would have not been a problem.

(your link has failed to load for me so far)

OK, seen the list now... the majority of them are non-issues, if you accept the iOS policy of sandboxing everything for the protection of non-tech users.

iOS has irritations, certainly, but as far as I can see Android tablets are still only suitable for people who know a bit about what they are doing. I have seen non-techy users struggling with a Samsung Galaxy when an iPad would have not been a problem.

Really? Trying to do what?

Android only becomes slightly more difficult when you use its advanced features. PCs (and Office) have advanced features that most users never use, but I have not met many who cannot use a PC (or Office). When you show them advanced features, they go "Wow! I had no idea you could do that!"

Trying to enter an email address manually!

Uh? You touch the To: field and type it in! What could be easier than that?

Even adding a contact is that simple, you just click the little person icon with a + next to it and fill in the details. Plus, the contacts get synced with your chrome account, so are available everywhere else too.

All I can say is I saw three third-agers clustered around a Galaxy, apparently unable to complete an email address because it wouldn't co-operate. I didn't interfere!

Presumably third-agers is iOS for teenagers.:)
I have no problems with email addresses either.

Presumably third-agers is iOS for teenagers.:)
I have no problems with email addresses either.

Third-agers are Apple's target market now. We are renegades, or just sensible?

It's no good, I had to Google it. Count me in then.:cheers:
We are not to be trusted with this techno stuff then.

I just typed "post", I saw "post" on the screen, then pressed space and it changed to "list"!!!

Is it making some kind of analysis of how close to the centre of each key got pressed, and deciding on balance I was probably aiming for the l and the i rather than the p and the o? And if it does, why would it do that when post is a valid word (I could understand such an analysis if the word isn't in the dictionary and it's trying to find the best alternative match)? The only other thing I can think of is that it is applying some kind of syntactical analysis and trying to guess what I meant to say. Don't!

I'm convinced this has got worse since the earlier iOS versions.

Can't you turn it off? Or change keyboard? Swiftkey is good, and allows you to choose your word, or other similar ones. Maybe iOS8?

I just typed "post", I saw "post" on the screen, then pressed space and it changed to "list"!!!

Is it making some kind of analysis of how close to the centre of each key got pressed, and deciding on balance I was probably aiming for the l and the i rather than the p and the o? And if it does, why would it do that when post is a valid word (I could understand such an analysis if the word isn't in the dictionary and it's trying to find the best alternative match)? The only other thing I can think of is that it is applying some kind of syntactical analysis and trying to guess what I meant to say. Don't!

I'm convinced this has got worse since the earlier iOS versions.

Don't know about iOS particularly but most of these things are analysing the sentence and predicting what word might come next. Sometimes they display several options for the next word and you can just tap one (if it is right) and save typing it in.
I actually use Swype on my Androids (I believe there is a Google version too, but I've got used to and paid for Swype) which I find is very good - saves a lot of trying to hit the right 'key' ... and missing :mad:

Whenever my wife sends an iMessage to me, it gets sent as an email and says it is a picture message. There is usually no picture, just a .txt attachment with the message in it! What is that all about? Is she messaging my email account rather than my phone?

Sounds like it. Check your contact details on your wife's iPhone and send a test one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you iMessage an email account that isn't associated with an apple device then the message does not go anywhere. It gets a red "failed" message instead.
Try it yourself and you should see.

Back