iPlayer Radio

ian_j

I had a recording for Blue Jam fail last night on the radio but don't want to upgrade my firmware to get it on the iPlayer.

Gutted, any way to get this without upgrading the firmware?

Can't you get it using your PC into iPlayer? Or do you have to play it from the T2?

get_iplayer provides the means to download iPlayer radio content, which you could then transfer to your MP3 player. I have not used it myself, but have it in my back pocket for when an occasion arises.

iPlayer grabs on the HDR-FOX WebIF are not themselves MP3, so either your player is flexible in the file format or you have to convert it on your PC anyway.

Just got the file using get_iplayer, took a couple of minutes to figure out the commands but worked fine.

I just wish that I could have used the Humax to get it, until the EPG issues are sorted though I'm sticking on my current firmware.

I still think get_Iplayer would be a valuable addition to the Custom Firmware as I have suggested on previous occasions, episode 2 of Blue Jam is currently stored on it, Item 10637 = Blue_Jam_-_Episode_2_b03wtrld_default.m4a 62.507 MBs

I still think get_Iplayer would be a valuable addition to the Custom Firmware as I have suggested on previous occasions, episode 2 of Blue Jam is currently stored on it, Item 10637 = Blue_Jam_-_Episode_2_b03wtrld_default.m4a 62.507 MBs

I presume that iplayer radio files will be higher quality due to them being AAC vs MP3 layer 2 so I'd 2nd the above if it was possible.

Here is the info. for the get_iplayer version :-
Code:
General
Complete name                    : D:\get-iplayer-tmp\Blue_Jam_-_Episode_2_b03wtrld_default.m4a
Format                          : MPEG-4
Format profile                  : Apple AAC audio with iTunes info
Codec ID                        : M4A
File size                        : 61.0 MiB
Duration                        : 1h 5mn
Overall bit rate                : 131 Kbps
Encoded date                    : UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00
Tagged date                      : UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00
Writing application              : Lavf53.4.0

Audio
ID                              : 1
Format                          : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version                  : Version 4
Format profile                  : LC
Format settings, SBR            : No
Codec ID                        : 40
Duration                        : 1h 5mn
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                        : 128 Kbps
Channel(s)                      : 2 channels
Channel positions                : L R
Sampling rate                    : 44.1 KHz
Resolution                      : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 59.8 MiB (98%)
Encoded date                    : UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00
Tagged date                      : UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00

As with (almost) every request for additions / modifications to the CFW, I have to leave it to those that can, I certainly can't

It would be good if one could but then for those that like the MP3 output rather than MP4a it will take a time to translate even longer than on a PC given what we know about background translation on the Humax. Which brings me onto another musing on MP4a. We do know that the Humax can play these since that is what the iPlayer downloads are in MP4 AAC, so you would think that one ought to be able to play the AAC get iPlayer downloads directly rather than doing the MP3 conversion. It's the chipset that is optimised to handle the codec. I might have missed something thou.

Is it possible to run the get iPlayer on a PC but play the MP4a directly rather than the second stage MP3 translation which you currently have to do to use the Humax. I think I may have asked the question many moons ago but was told it only plays MP3 - true for audio but you would think you might be able to fool it to play on the video side ?. But if any fooling required masses of processing then it would be a waste of time.

I can run get_iplayer on a P.C. and then play the downloaded m4a files on a P.C. running Winamp, VLC etc. without altering the files in any way. The files will also play on the Humax without conversion, BUT before copying them to My_Music you will have to rename the title.m4a files to title.mp3

Yes you can do that but if you have your surround sound plumbed into the Humax you want it on there.

Now I see that the actual downloads from the Humax iPlayer via the custom software for the Today programme is showing:

MPEG-4 AAC LC 128 kbps

So if one can get the Get iPlayer radio into that format (kbps could be adaptive) then you would think that the Humax would play them, no problems over the network. I did have a play just then but couldn't get it to see the file. So if anybody has any expert command lines for the get iplayer to write out the AAC file in a useable form still in AAC to play on the Humax without great PC overheads that would be good. I suspect af123 would be trying to plumb into the native output rather than doing a conversion out of AAC. So this solution would be a solution to part of the problem.

BTW I use this command for normal operations to routinely get, get iplayer to do the AAC to MP3 conversion and manipulation of white space so it can be seen by the Humax as MP3 files.

get_iplayer --add-prefs --aactomp3 --mp3vbr 1 --whitespace

You would drop the command if one could find a way to get the Humax to play the files in native AAC.

Without hijacking the thread, in my quest to get the Humax to play native AAC from Get Iplayer, if you copy over from the Humax a bog standard MP4 file saved by the custom software you would expect to see it via pressing the Media button as a video or does this only support a limited set of file types and MP4 isn't one. I know I should probably know the answer but I'll claim age, since it covers a lot.

I did copy an MP4a file from Get Iplayer onto the Humax hard drive renaming to MP4 and it does play, but sounds a bit twangy (distorted) although that could be the source. Bringing it over via the Humax iPlayer it does sound the same. So question is how do you get the Humax to see MP4 files over a network ?.

The other check is whether the Humax can handle the high bit rates that are used on R3 - perhaps they are one of the same between sources. Haven't checked that.

HD/HDR-FOX are compatible with more file types loaded locally than by DLNA. You could try a network file share, then the Humax would treat files as if they were on a local drive.

Back