Laggy EPG with version 1.03.xx

If they had been better at their job we probably wouldn't have the CF now (a: because it might not have been needed; and b: because there would have been no way in).
BH, please don't tempt fate by saying things like that!! Point b would probably be much easier for them to address than point a, and that would be the worse case scenario for us!

Someone mentioned earlier that humaxtv process spikes to 102%. Does this happen each time you move around the epg?

The only clear link seems to be that more dead events seem to mean slower epg. Is it possible at a low level to compare firmware 1.02.x and 1.03.x? E.g. can you get strace for busybox and run it on humaxtv to see the difference in system calls?

Also I'm guessing the db schema hasn't changed. The sql db isn't that big - unless there's an attempt to query dead events on each move with a massive timeout.

It probably is worth reporting to Humax to remind them.... I emailed them on their support addresss: uksupport @ humax online .co .uk without the spaces of course and got a reply from Louis, no doubt standard but allegedly:

"Dear Mr Knight,

Thank you for contacting Humax Support.

Apologies for the trouble you are having with the EPG. It is something we are aware of and currently working on a solution to. A fix should be available in the near future.

Best Regards,

Louis"

They are already aware as has been reported previously. If we start annoying them, they may just can it. The box is already discontinued, so it's lucky we got any update at all.

Manufacturers should have a statutory duty to support products for a reasonable time, and that includes software updates. The machines can quickly become unfit for purpose otherwise. In any case, they are still selling them, albeit graded boxes. We are not 'lucky' IMHO and I'm appalled that you think it's acceptable.

Personally if I was running a helpdesk / support line and people kept bugging me about an issue I'd make sure it was raised more and more with management until something was done. Several hundred open fault calls for an issue concentrates the priorities and minds.... or should do. I've never known a support line decide to cancel fixing something because they got more people reporting the issue?

Having said that and how long it has taken to get fixes in the past, there box has been pretty stable wih features being added rather than bug fixes generally. This is the first thing causing annoying problems for every user of the box frankly isn't it?

It's not the support in the UK that writes the code though. They have said they are aware so they are actively looking at it. It typically takes many months for an update to appear.

@prpr I never said I thought it acceptable. The key word in your first sentence was "should". I've had many products over the years that have never received any updates to firmware/software despite glaring bugs/flaws.

I emailed Humux with this

Hi. I own a Humax HDR-FOX T2 (I am in the UK) and since a few weeks ago the EPG has been going so slow meaning that setting the box to record programs has now become a pain. The lag between pressing a button on the remote and the EPG responding is unbelievable. I think its the latest "over the air" software update that has caused this and the reason I think that is because there is a lot of talk about this on internet forums. I have had this box a couple of years now and it has been the best box I have owned, I have even recommended this box many times on different forums. Can you please tell me if there is a fix for this? Can I revert back to the previous version?
The version I am on now is FHTCP 1.03.12 Loader version a7.30 Update date 7 Feb 2014

If I can revert back to the previous version can you please tell me what version it was, where can I get it and how do I do it. I have looked on your web site but can't see any downloads at all for this box.

Kind regards

This is the reply I got...

Thank you for contacting Humax Support.

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your Humax.

This is an issue we are aware of and are working to resolve.

Best Regards,

Alex

Humax Customer Support

I then replied with this...

Thank you for the quick response. Until you have sorted this out can I revert back to the previous version?
The version I am on now is FHTCP 1.03.12 Loader version a7.30 Update date 7 Feb 2014.
I have version 1.02.32 on my computer. Is it possible for me to revert back to this

This is the reply I got...

You can roll back the software on your model. I have included the instructions below.

Please see below for instructions on how to update the software.

- Power OFF the product into Standby mode or power off at the mains
- Download the software and save on a USB Pen*
- Make sure the filename is hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf
- Insert the USB Pen into the rear USB port on the product
- Power ON the product holding in the standby button (or hold in the standby button and plug into the mains)
- The download should start and the download progress should appear on the TV set; allow 5 minutes for the update to complete.
- When the update is complete End will appear on the front display, "Download Successful will appear on the TV.
- Remove USB Pen and press standby

Warning: During the update process DO NOT power off the product.

Note: USB Pen must be formatted in FAT32
The software must be on the root directory of the USB Pen (i.e. not saved in a folder)
If the update does not start then please make sure the filename is correct (hdr_fox_t2_upgrade.hdf)
The file you download will already have the ".hdf" extension, there is no need to add the ".hdf" extension; your Windows explorer options maybe hidding filename extensions.
Not all USB Pens will be recognised, try a different USB Pen.

The software itself can be found at the link below, version 1.02.32

(I can't post the link because I have not enough posts)

Best Regards,

Alex

Humax Customer Support

I have not tried it yet. Has anyone else tried to roll back? Did it work?

It is already common knowledge that you can install any version you want. There are no restrictions on downgrading or upgrading. If you read this thread alone you would have gathered that fact.

Not trying to come off as an ass don't get me wrong, just pointing out facts.

It's great new Humax are working on a fix for this - so I may install 1.03.xx yet! In the meantime, I'm in the 1.02.32 club.

10232_logo_240.png

Club logo. Handshakes to follow. Perhaps BH would draft the acceptable use policy?

What is the EPG lag difference (i.e. the scroll right time difference) on 1.03.xx with the aerial plugged in and the aerial plugged out? Also is there any difference with the network (WiFi or Ethernet) turned on or turned off?

Back