I think a 'thanks' button would be more appropriate. This is not facebook, or is it?
Nah, we're much more mature here than on The Facebook!

Like works for me. It is a way of indicating agreement without further cluttering up the thread. It doesn't remove the need to post a thank you if you have been helped IMHO.

As for post/like ratio - it's an indication of something but doesn't reflect the real contribution of the people who post often and are around to keep topics moving. It's always encouraging when I log on in the evening to see that a question asked earlier has been moved on by requesting more information while the OP was around. Then by the time I see the question it can often have all of the information I need to respond or fix it!

I agree that a poster getting a quick response is something that sets this forum apart from others and makes it very attractive to users, there is a price to pay however, users want to avoid conflict (this in not attractive to other users), so there is a danger that someone may not reply even though they have an answer for the OP, because they have been beaten to it by posts such as :-
Oh really ... I have no idea ... or simply :). It's Hardly surprising that these posts rarely (if ever) get liked

:rolling:

I've lost count of how many times you answered the wrong question, by not paying attention to which section of the forum the question was posted in.

Look how much "noise" has been added to this topic because of post 30! Likes would only be a true measure of overall quality if we also had an unlike button.

I just don't buy into the entire concept. I'm not being churlish to the poster, I'm snubbing the idiot that came up with the entire Like concept.

Thankyou to the joker that 'Liked' the post I quoted above, nice to see someone has a sense of humour :).

@BH. Why do you go to great lengths to point out the "Like" button to users replying to your own posts when you seem so reluctant to use it yourself ? You will, I am sure, deny it, but I believe that your "reputation" rating, as you defined it yourself, is "very" important to you. You degrade the work of real contributors by calling it "educated guesswork" whilst "bigging up" your your own reputation by using the royal "we" when advising others how all this "educated guesswork" works. It could well be perceived by others that you deliberately withhold your own award of "Likes" solely to maintain your own precious lead. In my book he who posts most just means "he" has too much to say for himself. This is hummy.tv, not blackhole.tv. You don't own the place. You're not the editor or an admin and never will be, so stop trying to dominate and control every single thread that's ever posted here. You may own more boxes than Humax but that doesn't give you any more rights here than anyone else. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, but I'm probably the first one who's ever had the guts to to say so.

Last edited:
Raydon, who are you replying to? Because the sequence of posts makes it look like you are having a go at me.

Reading the rest you mention blackhole.tv so I guess you're having a go at Black Hole. This is not clear until two thirds of the way through a dense posting, can you please edit it to add a clarification at the start.

Look how much "noise" has been added to this topic because of post 30! .
You hijacked this thread at #22 and #25 with your obsession with Likes, not for the first time I might add. You can't instruct users to 'like' your posts, if they want to they will do so without being prompted

Like I said in post #23, but nobody liked it.
Wasn't clear who you were advising to jump in the lake, OP for quoting without adding a message, or BH for trawling for Likes, otherwise I would've given you one.

BH was "fishing" for likes in post #22 #1, hence directing him towards the water (not to jump in but to cast his line (or whatever the phrase is - I'm no angler)), so I thought it was fairly obvious that post #23 #2 was referring to post #22 #1 (if it's an earlier message than I'd quote).
But if you have to explain it...

(Edited to fix message numbers after thread split.)

Last edited:
@raydon: Utter bollox. I "like" posts which I consider have sufficient merit, same as everyone else. Just because you think I should have liked a particular post... I notice that post was liked by the usual suspects.

As to fishing, that's in the eye of the beholder. As I think Trev said, I was just informing newcomers of the etiquette.

'Nuff said.

Last edited:
I tend to be selective when observing etiquette. History has spawned some fairly dubious examples many of which have mercifully since withered. At a more mundane and immediately relevant level, even the most absurd, biased, offensive, ill-informed or self-important postings can rely on garnishing bland "likes" in most forums.

I am though not getting to my point. One of our 2 cats (generally intelligent and discerning except when it comes to cheese - she will eat any) has long had a liking for licking certain glossy surfaces. High-end magazine covers, certain photo prints and paint colour charts are among her favourites. She has recently added the ipad screen to the list (she remains disinterested in the laptop screen). I showed her this thread and she demonstrated a tendency to favour posts made by members with avatars and then a preference for posts by prp and Trev.

She also licked an advertisement for "Highest Peak/Best Views/Most Terrain?/Buy 7 Nights Get 10" and as she has a well-proven, and sometimes problematic, preference for climbing everything in sight I thinks this adds credibility.

I suggest a "Lick" button - preferably coloured - to assist in data gathering.

Likes would only be a true measure of overall quality if we also had an unlike button.
We Do have an "Unlike" button, this appears after you have Liked a post. Is it possible to unlike something that you have not previously liked?

Perhaps you would like a "Dislike" button?

Back