A thin attempt to make out you don't understand what I meant. There have been many appalling posts deserving of a negative like.

One of our 2 cats (generally intelligent and discerning except when it comes to cheese - she will eat any) has long had a liking for licking certain glossy surfaces. High-end magazine covers, certain photo prints and paint colour charts are among her favourites. She has recently added the ipad screen to the list (she remains disinterested in the laptop screen). I showed her this thread and she demonstrated a tendency to favour posts made by members with avatars and then a preference for posts by prp and Trev.
8 out of 10 for your cat's taste in posters.
2 out of 10 for your spelling (my name).

Last edited:
It was a subtle attempt at a play on Whiskas, cats and owners. But if you have to explain it...
Maybe you need Raydon's shovel.

Presumably that involves shovel, digging, hole, stop? Oh, and I thought on reflection that Jimmy Carr might have had something to do with it. But in this instance there is only one cat. So that blows that idea out of the windows.
The ad to which you refer also add "that showed a preference", so the percentage must have actually been considerably less than 80% when you include the ones that would eat (lick) anything.

The ad to which you refer also add "that showed a preference", so the percentage must have actually been considerably less than 80% when you include the ones that would eat (lick) anything.
Indeed, but there are no better liers than advertisers (and politicians).

Speaking of which, one George Galloway comes to mind, with all this talk of cats and licking.
I just showed my Cat a picture of Galloway on the ipad. She yawned and walked away after pausing just long enough to suggest she was looking for a "dislick" button.

@raydon: Utter bollox. I "like" posts which I consider have sufficient merit, same as everyone else. Just because you think I should have liked a particular post... I notice that post was liked by the usual suspects.
No, not the same as everyone else. It depends on your interpretation of merit. Personally, I consider that any post which details the release of a new program or feature has sufficient merit. It is worthy of a "Like" simply as a means to recognize, and acknowledge, the time and effort that has gone into creating something for the benefit of the community as a whole. A follow up thank you message is always welcome, but to give a "Like" is a quick and effortless alternative, and costs absolutely nothing. Thanks are the only reward that developers get, and as such they should be encouraged by the free use of such a simple gesture. For this reason I will always give a "Like", regardless of whether that new program or feature is of particular use to me personally, or not. A sentiment it seems, that you do not share.

Last edited:
Personally, I consider that any post which details the release of a new program or feature has sufficient merit. It is worthy of a "Like" simply as a means to recognize, and acknowledge, the time and effort that has gone into creating something for the benefit of the community as a whole.

That's a point of view I hadn't considered before - I have generally only 'Liked' posts that were particularly amusing or useful to me. Your method sounds reasonable and I'm tempted to adopt it, but I have a slight reservation as it would (in my case at least) often involve making a judgement on something I hadn't actually used or perhaps even understood. If we all did that it would surely devalue the 'Like' system both by the expected quality of 'Likes' and the much increased volume of them.
At present receiving a 'Like' is at least a bit special.

I agree. What is the point of af collecting 5,000 likes per software release? On the other hand, if Trev came up with one we would all give him a like. af knows he is appreciated, we all tell him so (and many more download his stuff without ever posting on the forum, or even belonging to this forum).

It is far more effective to donate him a pint through the RS donations.

At present receiving a 'Like' is at least a bit special.
But aren't the developers a bit special, and deserving of a pat on the back for the innovative solutions they both provide and support ? Without them this whole customised firmware/software scene would not exist, and this forum would probably be like MHO, with only one or two posts on a good day. I don't have to understand something to recognize that someone has taken considerable time and effort to create it. I'm not talking here about a 'Like' for a simple response to a query that takes literally 5 minutes to type. This does, I agree, somewhat degrade the concept of 'Likes'. I'm talking about recognizing the considerable effort that could have taken many hours, or days, even weeks to complete.

I agree. What is the point of af collecting 5,000 likes per software release?
To answer in kind "Utter Bollox ! " A total exaggeration in order to try and justify your point. And also completely impossible considering that we only have 4169 members.
On the other hand, if Trev came up with one we would all give him a like.
Is that all ? I would give him a medal !
af knows he is appreciated, we all tell him so
So why not give him a like at the same time ?
(and many more download his stuff without ever posting on the forum, or even belonging to this forum).
Shame on them too !
It is far more effective to donate him a pint through the RS donations.
I believe it's your round.

Last edited:
I believe it's your round.
No it's not.

All this general disagreement about "like policy" just demonstrates it is not appropriate to define a hard and fast rule on awarding them. If I were to try to encapsulate my policy in words, I would likely (at some point) find a circumstance where I felt it necessary to break my own rules. However:

No I'm not going to ping af a like for every software tweak - only those which are in a very specific response (maybe in retrospect) to a problem I am experiencing or am involved in personally. Ditto the content of anyone else's posts - even yours.

Back