Lip-Sync issue

Sargan

Running FHTCP 1.03.13

Since swapping to a new TV, I can’t get Lip-Sync correct.
20mS not quite enough delay
40mS too much.
Is there a way to change increments to 10mS rather than 20

TV hook up is HDMI to Samsung QE55S95
Digital Output set to >MultiChannel
(it does appear better is I set to Stereo, but want the multi-channel)

is there something else I should consider.

If using TV direct (no PVR) there is no Lip-Sync issue.

With screen UI showing 40ms:
Code:
humax# sqlite3 /mod/boot/../setup.db
SQLite version 3.41.1 2023-03-10 12:13:52
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
sqlite> select * from TBL_MENUCONFIG where itemName = 'LIP_SYNC';
13|LIP_SYNC|-40||
Maybe if the DB is updated at xinit-time (ie, before the Humax settop program reads the DB) one could set a custom lip-sync value. Odds are that it wouldn't be reflected in the screen UI and possibly just opening the relevant menu item would set the value back to a multiple of -20ms.

There is also the possibility to set a positive value, corresponding to an unreachable negative value in the screen UI ...

SI unit pedants will be sure to question why you measure time delays in units of conductance. Not me, obvs.

40mS too much.
That's very strange. The reason the settings are so coarse is that a few extra milliseconds don't matter.

The speed of sound is 342m/s, so delaying the sound by 20ms is equivalent to moving the source 7m further away. Do you really have a problem with lipsync when a live speaker is a mere 7m away?

What is essential is that the sound does not arrive before the vision. That is not a situation which can occur naturally, so it scrambles your evolved brain. Sound will naturally arrive a variable amount of time after vision, and it would be a surprise if it had psychological effects even as late as 100ms. The delay is almost never zero, which would be the equivalent of sitting right on top of the action.

The reason for the setting at all is that the display (TV) takes longer to process and output the vision signal than the audio, so an adjustable delay is provided to prevent the sound coming before the visible event which produced the sound.

I’m sorry I don‘t follow anything after the first line “With screen UI showing 40ms:
Not trying to be funny, just that I Am not a developer.

I’m happy to follow any instructions … but I don’t know how/ where to execute what is in the ‘code’ section.

It’s interesting it does vary between recordings, some are fine at 40mS yet other are distinctly out.
Today for example recorded a BBC HD programme and all the Lip-Sync was off, I then watched a recording of a series (SD) and Lip-Sync was fine.
PVR not powered off between both viewings, so no reset.

I’m happy to follow any instructions … but I don’t know how/ where to execute what is in the ‘code’ section.
It's only speculation, probably not worth bothering with. /df was just showing how the value is stored in the settings database, not actually altering it (because you can't except at boot time), and you could copy the same steps on the command line but it won't get you anywhere. You do know about webshell, right?

Like I said, 20ms (max) additional delay should not be a problem for anyone, because in life the audio delay can easily be that much (and more).

Today for example recorded a BBC HD programme and all the Lip-Sync was off, I then watched a recording of a series (SD) and Lip-Sync was fine.
It is sometimes at fault in the actual broadcast.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, lip sync can be set with 1ms granularity using the boot-settings package (I just tried it). Having set the value to 5ms (and rebooted), the database query as per post 2 shows "-5" in the database. I have no idea whether it has taken effect at that value, but the on-screen menu Menu >> Settings >> Preferences >> Audio also shows 5ms. Click on it though, and the value resets to 0ms (and would need a reboot to restore the WebIF-set value).

So there is a means to control it, if the setting works.

(This was on HD-FOX, but I have no reason to expect HDR-FOX to be different.)

Last edited:
You do know about webshell, right?
No .... unfortunatley I don't know about webshell, I do use the web interface and adjusting settings & packages there, but never touched webshell.
Is there any setting that could be out ..... never had this issue with previous Samsung TV ... this one has S800B soundbar and supports all the clever stuff like 5.1.2 and Dolby Atmos and DTS:X
It's also set for Samsung Q-Symphony ... https://tinyurl.com/4rk9p7yp where 5 speakers on TV become the central Ch and Soundbar gives more immersive sound, ( and it does sound good)
I know PVR won't support these, but perhaps that all this extra processing of the Audio is giving me the Lip-Sync delay.

I know PVR won't support these, but perhaps that all this extra processing of the Audio is giving me the Lip-Sync delay.
Very likely, but the result of that should be 0ms not being low enough (and obviously the HDR can't launch the audio before it's been decoded!). Are you noticing a significant delay from vision to sound? That was not the implication of your OP. The alternative, delaying the vision, is not provided (at least, not that I have ever seen) – theoretically, I think this could be done in the decoder.

Are you sure you have explored the settings in your various other equipment to ensure nothing is adding unnecessary delay?

Very likely, but the result of that should be 0ms not being low enough (and obviously the HDR can't launch the audio before it's been decoded!). Are you noticing a significant delay from vision to sound? That was not the implication of your OP. The alternative, delaying the vision, is not provided (at least, not that I have ever seen) – theoretically, I think this could be done in the decoder.

Are you sure you have explored the settings in your various other equipment to ensure nothing is adding unnecessary delay?
I have done the less Technical approach .... taking it up in 20mS increments its definitely gets worse , I have on a few occasions seen it better at 0 ... but as I can't go lower than 0 (be good if there was that option) been unable to confirm.
The rest of the equipment is only TV, soundbar & sub-bass ..... as TV without PVR is all in-sync not sure what I could adjust.

as TV without PVR is all in-sync not sure what I could adjust.
The TV might well have per-input settings. You need to check the TV's settings for lip-sync while you are using the PVR as input.

as I can't go lower than 0 (be good if there was that option)
How? Crystal ball?

taking it up in 20mS increments its definitely gets worse , I have on a few occasions seen it better at 0
You're confusing me. Let's suppose there is no error in the source material (which, as noted above, there sometimes is and you just have to ignore it). Let's suppose there is a 10ms delay in the vision pathway so that the sound is emitted 10ms ahead of the vision. If you're sitting less than 3.4m from the TV, you will receive sound ahead of vision and that will seem odd (because it never happens in nature). Greater than 3.4m and the speed of sound in air has caused a delay which eliminates the problem, but it will still seem odd because normally sound arrives slightly delayed from vision.

Adding 20ms delay to the sound pathway (which is what the lip-sync setting does) means the sound will then launch 20ms minus 10ms, = 10ms after the vision (given the conditions stated above). That will sound fine, and a 10ms delay between (say) seeing a snooker ball hit another ball and hearing the click will not be noticeable. 10ms is well within the real-life experience, and represents being only 3.4m (11 feet) away from the action. Do people complain about the sound delay when sitting in the terraces at a football ground? No.

If the lip-sync setting (everywhere!) is zero but there is still a disturbing delay between vision and sound (which will be of the order 50ms, not 10ms), there is nothing more you can do. If, with lip-sync = 0ms, sound is arriving ahead of vision, it will sound unnatural and the setting needs to be increased to the first "notch" where the sound is natural. At that point any delay will be unnoticeable.

What you might be having trouble with is identifying that the sound is ahead of vision. The brain isn't used to that, and I find it is hard to figure out what the problem is, just that there is a problem (until I realised what that means). If in doubt, set the lip-sync to maximum and then there should be an obvious delay between vision and sound (use material where there are sharp events - that's why film-makers use clapper boards). Then reduce the lip-sync setting notch by notch until the delay is unnoticeable, but don't go beyond that point (which will then confuse matters because of the unnatural effect). If you've reached zero there's nothing more you can do.

If you are (somehow) hyper-sensitive, just moving away from a real-life source of sound will introduce delays of this order of magnitude and you should also be sensitive to that (you have my sympathy). Otherwise, trying to tune this to the point where the sound reaches your ears at exactly the same time as the vision is not representative of real life, and is a fools errand because the broadcast system is not (and does not need to be) engineered to have that kind of precision (and will not be equal at all places in the room).

Nonetheless, as noted in post 8, the CF has the ability to tune the lip-sync setting in 1ms increments – but whether those increments are actually acted on is a moot point (it would require a sophisticated set-up and careful measurement to find out).

Last edited:
I’ll try again … but it’s not just me other family members complain mouth is out is sync with sound.
I looked at TV settings is does allow delay adjustment but states it only works with eARC which the PVR does not support.
At zero the mouths are moving before there is anything heard, and increasing delay appears to me to make it worse.

At zero the mouths are moving before there is anything heard, and increasing delay appears to me to make it worse.
Then you have a system problem, and the delay must be substantial in order to be noticeable.

This also does not accord with your original post:
40mS too much.
...you're now saying 0ms is too much.

Since swapping to a new TV
Isn't it obvious that the problem is with the TV? That is where the solution will be, it's time to contact their tech support.

As an aside, there are sound-vision sync test videos on YouTube, and they are downloadable to the HDR-FOX (see qtube). EG:

Probably not related, but I've noticed some shows on Drama[+1] having weird A-V sync (as well as '90s hair styles). Eg, "Clocking Off". Other "oldies" channels may also be affected.

No lip-sync setting seems to work -- what fits at one moment soon fails again: I put it down to a variation in the transmitted stream as a result of poor re-encoding for DVB-T.

I can see their response would be ...let's see is TV working on its own - yes.
Let's see if TV working OK with soundbar - yes.
They will then tell me no fault on TV.

As some recordings fine, think it would difficult to get them to help much.
Plus you are dealing with agents on a Help Desk, who follow zcriprs not Technical guys ....
I'll open a support ticket ... but probably won't hear anything back.

Probably not related, but I've noticed some shows on Drama[+1] having weird A-V sync (as well as '90s hair styles). Eg, "Clocking Off". Other "oldies" channels may also be affected.

No lip-sync setting seems to work -- what fits at one moment soon fails again: I put it down to a variation in the transmitted stream as a result of poor re-encoding for DVB-T.
Maybe that is what I'm experiencing.

Back