Lip-Sync issue

Then you have a system problem, and the delay must be substantial in order to be noticeable.

This also does not accord with your original post:

...you're now saying 0ms is too much.

Isn't it obvious that the problem is with the TV? That is where the solution will be, it's time to contact their tech support.
What I'm saying (maybe clumsily) that I cannot get Lip-Sync correct.
Never had an issue with the previous TV - but all inputs were routed via an AV amp and that may have aligned everything better.
However, even if I set it right for one recording it can be way off for another but so far when watching a series sit does not drift.
So far it does seem HD is the problem, not SD ..... but could be coincident.

It's not always easy to figure out what is being delayed .... other than it looks 'out' ...... maybe I need a simple video of a clapperboard or ball hitting a wall.

I have tried the 'wind it up first' then reduce, it gets better around 20 - 40mS but I can't get it right, and it is noticeable by others so not my perception. (which would be a valid consideration)

Don't get issues at all on TV or TV + any streamed service, Netflix, Prime, Apple etc. But they are sourced from within the TV Apps, not separate H/W which may make that irrelevant consideration

Well there you go! I don't remember that being mentioned up-thread, and makes the TV swap a red herring. This is a non-issue.

Try the sync test video and see what that says.

I did detail that in post #5 ... but not in the OP ... ,my omission

Is there simple step-by-step set of instructions on how to load the YouTube video
Got partway but found links bouncing me around the Wiki and not really following what I should be doing.
I did look at https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/yout...other-video-platforms.8462/page-3#post-120326
but not clear in my head to know what to do next

I have installed Qtube package
Then installed Webshell package and rebooted

I tried then CLI via Webshell session using folllowung syntax:
1679336102672.png

It advised it installed the player and then gave a list of I assume are individual files to download, not sure what I need to do next (or which one to use), sort of assume I'd use code 399 but I stopped at that point not sure of next steps

1679335435275.png

Last edited:
Obviously you want both video and audio. For this purpose pick format 18, since high resolution is unnecessary. Instead of -F, say -f 18 or -f best. Preferably, use the qtube interface in WebIf so that you don't have to worry about the terminal connection failing.

Docs:
Trying to download now ..... that set of instructions is a bit beyond my level of capability :)
I'm using qtube CLI
and syntax:
1679346262752.png
Msg tells me its successful: [download] Destination: /mnt/hd2/My Video/Audio_Video_Sync_Test.mp4

OK - update ...
Downloaded file OK .. and when run, the Audio/Video sync is bang on !
So at least from one point of view that is good.

However, with the setting correct, I played a HD recording made yesterday and the lips are out of sync ...... and an SD recording that is in-synch, both from the same Freeview Transmitter.
I went to BBC catch-up to watch the 'out-of-synch' recording again as a stream .... and 100% in-synch.

Not sure what the conclusion is other than I have some recordings that are out of-synch, even though PVR is set to be in-synch.

However, with the setting correct, I played a HD recording made yesterday and the lips are out of sync ...... and an SD recording that is in-synch, both from the same Freeview Transmitter.
I went to BBC catch-up to watch the 'out-of-synch' recording again as a stream .... and 100% in-synch.

Not sure what the conclusion is other than I have some recordings that are out of-synch, even though PVR is set to be in-synch.
What is the specific recorded program?
Eg maybe someone else happen to record the same thing and can comment on their result etc. Maybe there was an issue with the transmitted programme.

Last edited:
I still think it's the telly, maybe how it handles the different audio format. You didn't have a problem until you changed the telly, so that's a smoking gun. On the HDR-FOX, have you got Menu >> Settings >> Preferences >> Audio >> Digital Audio Output set to Multi-channel rather than Stereo? That would impose a difference in how HiDef sound is output compared with StDef. Changing it to Stereo results in all sound being treated the same.

I have installed Qtube package
Then installed Webshell package and rebooted

I tried then CLI via Webshell session using folllowung syntax:
1679336102672.png
The point about qtube is not to need to use webshell! See WebIF >> Queue video download.
qtube

The qtube package adds a GUI front-end for youtube-dl to the WebIF, with the benefit of pushing downloads onto the auto-processing queue for processing in the background (along with other background processes such as decryption). This obviates the need for abduco as discussed above (background processes are already "abducoed"). Just paste the URL of a web page containing the video you want to download into the URL entry box, and click "Run download in background"... and wait for the job to finish (monitor the process queue and/or qtube log).

I still think it's the telly, maybe how it handles the different audio format. You didn't have a problem until you changed the telly, so that's a smoking gun. On the HDR-FOX, have you got Menu >> Settings >> Preferences >> Audio >> Digital Audio Output set to Multi-channel rather than Stereo? That would impose a difference in how HiDef sound is output compared with StDef. Changing it to Stereo results in all sound being treated the same.
That's a fair point. If it's the TV, maybe the latest firmware (almost a month old) will help.
(Double check it's the correct one)

Last edited:

The point about qtube is not to need to use webshell! See WebIF >> Queue video download.

Yes - it's set to Multi-Channel, as I want 5.1 Dolby Digital sound

I installed Qtube & Webshell as both were mentioned above in the thread. Didn't realise it put a Qtube access button, I have now used that as well. - Thnak you.

That's a fair point. If it's the TV, maybe the latest firmware (almost a month old) will help.
(Double check it's the correct one)

It is on latest f/w as is the Soundbar.
It's set to Auto-Update so keeps it current

Yes - it's set to Multi-Channel, as I want 5.1 Dolby Digital sound
Try playing a troublesome recording with Menu >> Settings >> Preferences >> Audio >> Digital Audio Output set to Stereo. IF your problem correlates with when there is 5.1 audio available and the HDR-FOX is set for Multi-channel (I suspect it does), then that pretty much proves the problem is the way the TV handles it from an HDMI source in particular (were you using 5.1 with the previous telly?). You have a choice: good lip sync, or surround sound (take your pick).

I don't think it's going to be the HDR-FOX doing anything; Multi-channel essentially passes through the audio stream as-is, whereas for Stereo the incoming 5.1 AAC or stereo MP2 has to be converted to PCM for output.

If I'm right, then now you have a specific reproducible fault you can complain about. The particular TV might have a section on the AVForums forum, and other people complaining about it.
I can see their response would be ...let's see is TV working on its own - yes.
Let's see if TV working OK with soundbar - yes.
They will then tell me no fault on TV.

As some recordings fine, think it would difficult to get them to help much.
Plus you are dealing with agents on a Help Desk, who follow zcriprs not Technical guys ....
I'll open a support ticket ... but probably won't hear anything back.

If you can feed the soundbar separately from the TV, try that (but I suspect your soundbar might be linked to the TV by Bluetooth?). I experienced sync problems with a friend's TV + soundbar which were highly variable, and that was Bluetooth (I think). Your problem would (probably) go away if you invested in an AV amp (but that's another outlay). What happens with them is the HDMI is routed via the amp to the TV, so the amp picks off the audio before it gets to the TV (or the audio can be routed separately by fibre).

I installed Qtube & Webshell as both were mentioned above in the thread. Didn't realise it put a Qtube access button, I have now used that as well. - Thnak you.
The qtube package is a GUI front-end for the youtube-dl package. The command line is what we had to use before qtube. But we know you're too impatient to read anything – I suppose the solution to your lip sync problem is in the TV's handbook somewhere...

Last edited:
Just tested on 3 different file.
….. and importantly it seems we’re HD recordings, as not seen issue on SD.
With current setting > multichannel each had lip-synch issue
changing to stereo solved (at least apparently) the Lip-synch issue.

an interesting one .. I downloaded 2nd Audi synch video …
How_To_Perfectly_Set_Lip_Synch_Calibration ……
the intro video of Guy talking has Lip-Synch issue, but the test video was showing synch perfetc

All Freeview HD sets have to transcode the transmitted HE-AAC audio to Dolby Digital (2.0 or 5.1 programme-dependent) on the fly... I don't think that's a difficult process but it may be relevant?
{HE-AAC is used as it's more code efficient and specifically allows the Audio Described sound within the same stream to be mixed together if desired (DSat uses two separate sound streams for main programme and AD audios)}.

There's not really all that many HD BBC programmes in 5.1 and C4 is the only other 5.1 PSB broadcaster. So the majority will be flagged DD 2.0 - i.e. just stereo. All programmes can be downmixed to PCM stereo in the receivers.

Some things that throw lip sync off is using trick play on recordings; another is 'discontinuities' in the broadcast streams (reception errors) - despite the broadcast video and sound synchronisation timestamps. Stopping and re-starting to 'jog' the decoder back into sync can be necessary?

Does a recorded HD programme with lip sync errors via hdmi cables give issues if decrypted and streamed from the HDR-FOX-T2 to this TV?

Back