Lip-Sync issue

OK this may help or not.
Tonight .. a long discussion programme On TV … so all close up views and made Lip Synch more obvious.
First off it was on HD & SD … so could compare channels.

Important this was no recording this was direct watching of channels via the PVR.
First SD
No Lip-Sync

HD
on Audio - Digital Channel Output- Multi-Channel
Yes Lip-Sync issue
changed to Audio - Digital Channel Output- Stereo
No Lip-Sync issue

Then run AudioSync test video .. shows in-synch.

Now a weird result… switched back To ‘multi-channel’. and now Lip-Synch issue has gone.
is this Transmission data changing … don’t know
is this delay by PVR when in multi-channel .. don’t know.

It was a News programme, but can't remember the name .... was on HD & SD at same time, that was why I did the test.

Re-tested tonight.
film … Terminator 3 , live play not a recording.

Audio - Digital Channel Output- Multi-Channel
Ch110. HD. Lip Sync error
Ch 7. SD. No Lip Sync Error

Audio - Digital Channel Output- Stereo
Ch110. HD. No Lip Sync error

So it does seem that the PVR introduces Sync delay when set to Multi-Channel.

Re-tested tonight.
film … Terminator 3 , live play not a recording.

Audio - Digital Channel Output- Multi-Channel
Ch110. HD. Lip Sync error

Audio - Digital Channel Output- Stereo
Ch110. HD. No Lip Sync error

So it does seem that the PVR introduces Sync delay when set to Multi-Channel.
I had a look at my combination of HDR T2 and (very old) TV trying to watch T3.
No lip sync issues either on Channel4 (ch4) or Channel4 HD (ch104) regardless of Audio - Digital Channel Output setting.
Erm - are those channel numbers you mention correct? Because I can't populate channel 7 even if I try renumbering my channels or changing favourites.

Yes 110 Ch 4 HD
7 Ch 4 SD

assume Channels and numbering set by local transmitter, looked on TV. EPG.
and on a Panasonic …. Same CH numbering as PVR.

Freeview CH Transmitter is Kilvey Hill … numbering may be different for you, as in Wales we have S4C HD on 4
and S4C HD on 104

I checked DVD player & BluRay, no LipSync issue from those d3vices.
also tried via Amazon FireTV. (Box not App) no issue from that either.

I did report to Samsung, but expect they will say as all OK on TV, and 3 external devices they will deem there is no issue on TV.

I checked DVD player & BluRay, no LipSync issue from those d3vices.
also tried via Amazon FireTV. (Box not App) no issue from that either.

I did report to Samsung, but expect they will say as all OK on TV, and 3 external devices they will deem there is no issue on TV.
Maybe the HDR T2 is not compatible with your TV.
Just a thought, did you try a troublesome HD clip (taken from HDR) that you recorded and transfer/playback on each of your devices (Blu-ray, fireTV, Samsung TV) to see the effects on TV etc.
Also confirm the HDMI setting on the TV for the HDR is set to less than HDMI 1.4 (I think)?

Last edited:
I could try that I'll record a section of issue & non issue and cut some Discs to try.
Not too sure if it would prove anything, but I'll try it out.

I am connected using HDMI which is recommended hook up, I wonder if its worth trying optical.
I think though TV only supports Audio output over optical, not input.

If it was me, I wouldn't bother with producing optical media. I'll just do something like
  • Record a breakfast TV studio discussion both SD and HD on the Humax HDR (10-20 minutes duration).
  • After decrypt etc, transfer the 2 clips to usb storage (eg drive / SD card with reader)
  • Try playing the clips on the various devices (the TV, bluray, Fire TV box)
  • (Alternatively you can stream/play them via network share)
  • The point was to play the same unchanged clips on other devices

Last edited:
Rather than a discussion, you want a show about making movies where they keep using the "action" clapperboard, or some other content with clearly visible claps, smacks, drumming, hammer-blows (auctions?), etc, like the test clips you can find online. The sync is much easier to detect from such material than from some speaker's labial plosives.

I am connected using HDMI which is recommended hook up, I wonder if its worth trying optical.
Over the years I've read a few posts about lip-sync and it's often around sound-bars or separate sound systems.
I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread before, so I'd suggest testing your problem programmes using just the TV speakers.

Rather than a discussion, you want a show about making movies where they keep using the "action" clapperboard, or some other content with clearly visible claps, smacks, drumming, hammer-blows (auctions?), etc, like the test clips you can find online. The sync is much easier to detect from such material than from some speaker's labial plosives.
Forged in fire on 5select fits the bill, it's on most evenings.

Over the years I've read a few posts about lip-sync and it's often around sound-bars or separate sound systems.
I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread before, so I'd suggest testing your problem programmes using just the TV speakers.
I'll try that ... not sure where it will get me, but will try it.

5Select is a DVB-T2 channel where I've seen it, which is more significant for this issue than the actual resolution, I think, though the actual audio compression standard in use may be relevant. But of course there's no DVB-T equivalent for comparison.

I raised a Tkt with Samsung support - ass expected they said if it only happens with the external device then report it to that device manufacturer. I will follow up now I have a reference Tkt

I'll try that ... not sure where it will get me, but will try it.
If the problem is not present on the TV but is on the sound-bar, and they are both Samsung devices, you can probably kick it back in their court (or at least get more assistance than they've offered so far).
But either way it's a data point.

Back