Lost sound

Well, I tried my spare TV and the Humax worked fine. Thanks "Black Hole" for suggesting that. The sound was okay so the problem must be with my main TV.
I reconnected the Humax to my main TV and of cause no sound if the phono plugs were disconnected.
Obviously, something as gone wrong with the TV connecting to the Humax. My Virgin box works fine no matter which HDMI socket it is plugged into.
The next step was to reset the TV to factory settings. This I did this morning and I am glad to say the sound is now working on the Humax.
I would like to thank everybody for thier patience and thier help in helping me to solve the problem.
Someone with more knowledge than me will probably know what the problem was, I am just glad it is now working.

It sounds to me like your TV has some exotic method for remembering settings according to the device ID connected by HDMI, without caring which port it is connected to. Somehow the HDR-FOX was set to have analogue sound, and until you flushed the remembered settings that's how it stayed. I still think it would have been possible to find in the menus, with enough digging.

I've had a couple of occasions where the Roku box attached to the other HDMI port on my TV loses sound inexplicably. As the OP has found, the only fix is a factory reset of the TV. Strange. So far it hasn't affected the port that the Humax is attached to.

It sounds like the original TV has retained a setting. Especially as it works ok on 2nd TV. As you've tried the Humax on other HDMI ports already, did you try unplugging the original TV for 20 minutes or so before trying the reset?

I did unplug the TV at the beginning but only for 20sec or so. It's the first thing I normally do when electronic systems play up.

Although black jack did use the term component he did so in error, he later corrected the error e.g.
I mentioned component connection and I meant to say the A\V connection
I have never seen a TV with component inputs or outputs (I think it is rare) and the HDR-Fox T2 does not have component connectors

ALL USERS PLEASE NOTE THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED
I have just found component connectors on one of my TVs so not as rare as I thought

Last edited:
With the appropriate settings for the TV SCART connection and a SCART to RGB cable, the Foxes can appear to have component video out, but RGB rather than YPbPr (etc). TVs, etc, with "component video inputs" may have some setting to change the type of input expected on the 3 RCA video inputs.

The Wikipedia entry for "component video" allows S-Video as well, but I think we can all agree that's an edge case.

Possibly component video is less widely supported in modern TVs, but before HDMI it was the only way to get HD quality into the set.

The Topfield 5800 could output component video (YUV/YCrCb/YPbPr) via the TV SCART connection.

This is part of the back of the TV.
I can see how an error could occur between component and A/V in (composite video) in this case,
as the yellow/green connector is used for both, when in composite mode (yellow) that connector carries all colour (and black + white) info. plus all sync.pulses. when in component mode (green) is is used with the blue and red connectors to make up a form of RGB

I have just found component connectors on one of my TVs so not as rare as I thought
:roflmao: I have a really cheap small Bush TV (no, don't laugh). Even that has component input, although it doesn't have component connectors (like black jack's photo above). It came with a socket very similar to a headphone socket - and a lead with component connectors one end and the headphone size plug the other end.

Back