Maintenance Mode Fixdisk can't unmount mnt/hd2

sorry prpr - I honestly thought I was on the latest - i should have checked... Still not sure about the LBA 0 and security thing and why this has happened.
I am often downlevel on firmware updates because they are so much of a faff to install!
You have to find the web page to download from, download, find a convenient time, copy to USB stick, try to install, copy to another USB stick when Humax doesn't recognize it, repeat until you remember which stick works!

What might be worth doing is for the webif to know the latest recommended level and highlight on the Home and Diagnostic pages if the installed level is less than the recommended level.
The enable Maintenance mode dialog could show a strong warning if you are attempting to enable Maintenance mode with a down level custom firmware

I recently transferred about 110GB off a HDR-FOX by Ethernet using an SMB file share to a Linux PC and it took about 3½ hours (call it 30GB/hour). USB rates are more like 10GB/hour.

Black Hole , so if I transfer via Ethernet I agree it might be faster. I could connect the USB HDD to my router's USB port. Setup a ftp or SMB share. How do you then use telnet rather than something like winscp or windows explorer to stop the data coming down to my PC and then back to the router. I assume i would need to mount the share in the telnet sessions?

have you got any instructions on that? Is that permanent? (say i've created a share called 'Humax-Rod' on my router)

...and is there a (clean / non destructive!) way to stop the copying once you've started it via the remote control?

Thanks

Rodp

It's not a copy-and-delete process, so just interrupting it with a reboot won't do any harm. As for rationalising data movement, wouldn't it be easier to plug the drive into your PC? Alternatively look into FXP.

It's not a copy-and-delete process, so just interrupting it with a reboot won't do any harm. As for rationalising data movement, wouldn't it be easier to plug the drive into your PC? Alternatively look into FXP.

Got a slight problem in that the PC I've got (a work one) has disabled write access to USB ports :(.

I'll check out FXP - once the wife has finished watching Strictly I'll be rebooting ;)

Got a slight problem in that the PC I've got (a work one) has disabled write access to USB ports :(.
Can it boot from USB or optical? If so, boot a live Linux. But seriously, why hamstring yourself when a very small outlay gets you independence?

What might be worth doing is for the webif to know the latest recommended level and highlight on the Home and Diagnostic pages if the installed level is less than the recommended level.
The enable Maintenance mode dialog could show a strong warning if you are attempting to enable Maintenance mode with a down level custom firmware
Yes, that all sounds like sensible stuff.
Maybe it could go even further - you plug your USB stick into the Humax and the WebIf could download the latest firmware on command. Then all you need to do is power off and on again.

Maybe it could go even further - you plug your USB stick into the Humax and the WebIf could download the latest firmware on command. Then all you need to do is power off and on again.
I’ve suggested something similar in the past, possibly in private. It’s not completely hands-off - the user would need to remove the UPD before restarting after firmware update.

But considerably simpler that it is ATM if all the user needs to do is put in then pull out a memory stick into a USB socket on the box.

The customised firmware could be downloaded as a package using the exiting delivery system but I don't think it could be installed automatically.
The granddaughter would not be pleased if she couldn't watch Bing because the Humax was updating itself!
We would probably need a command triggered by a Diag menu button that would copy the downloaded firmware onto the USB stick and start the install reboot.
I don't suppose it is possible to have code run after an install to remove the install file from the USB and reboot to normal

Can it boot from USB or optical? If so, boot a live Linux. But seriously, why hamstring yourself when a very small outlay gets you independence?

The outlay being a laptop for oneself? Yep - got one but it's old and didn't want to know about the 2TB USB3 drive I am trying to use. never the less I am pretty impressed with it - (1GHz Pentium III dell latitude c610 with a 1Gb ram and SSD) as it's kept going and running windows 7!! Some Lattitude i5's with windows 10 are in the pipeline - just waiting for them to arrive in the next couple of weeks :)

So.... carrying on where I left off.... I pulled the USB plug (literally!) of the HDD out of the humax as realised that transfer rate what so slow it was going to take a number of days. I ran 'ubuntu mate' on my work PC and then managed to sort our the HDD (after my personal laptop had decided to mess up it's partitioning (as I wanted to make it clean again). I then set a samba share from my router and setup the share from the humax. After testing transfer it now 3-4 times quicker so that is now going to let me get everything off the humax HDD and then sort out the LBA0 issue (hopefully).

Question - I've decided to run autoshrink on all the recordings before moving them over to the HDD. There's alot to do which would invariably fill the HDD space up completely whilst it's doing that process (will put the original files in the [Deleted Items] folder). If I didn't delete stuff out of there manually to keep enough free space as it's going through that process. Would the Queue system be clever enough to realise this and halt proceedings until there was enough space? Or would the system grind to a halt? I've since told the autoprocessing system to stop shortly before and during any recording processes but there is nothing to stop if when space is getting low.

Thanks

Rodp

Autoprocessing stops below some threshold remaining disk space. It will resume again when auto-delete has cleared some space from the recycle bin.

What's the limit? It got to 5.57GB free (48GB in [deleted items]) and I was about to record strictly, blue planet and then F1. :s

(edited): Automatic processing is suspended once there is less than 1GiB of free disk space remaining. Each function that requires disk space performs an additional check to make sure there is still 1GiB + 3 * <size of file being processed> available as disk space can come and go. The 3* is because the worst case is that you need the original file + temporary file + new temporary file in the video filesystem at the same time.

HDR Fox T2 1TB, bought March 2011, horizontal tuners.
Recently started showing faults such as stalls during playback, mosaicing etc and corresponding artefacts are not visible on the TV connected to the same aerial.
Arrived somewhere near here via Google. Disk problems then.

Installed HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.13.zip
Actually I installed it twice: didn't remove the USB stick before restarting from the front panel.

Entered maintenance mode.
Got stuck at
umount: can't umount /mnt/hd1: Device or resource busy
fix-disk: session terminated with exit status 1

Entered CLI mode.
/usr/sbin/lsof or similar not found.
Exited CLI mode
Exited maintenance mode and restarted.
Entered maintenance mode again.

Running /bin/fix-disk

Checking disk sda (512 byte sectors)

Unmounted /dev/sda1
Unmounted /dev/sda2
Unmounted /dev/sda3

Running short disk self test

Pending sector error(s) found

LBA has not yet been found
A long test is required - this could take 3 hour(s) 30 minutes
Do you wish to continue? [Y/N]: y
Running long disk self test

LBA? Google suggests "logical block addressing" (also "Lazy Bumz Association" though, in the context of hard disks, the former is substantially more plasuible)

Yes, LBA is "logical block address" but is that your only question?

You appear to have got Fix-disk running and yes it can take a very long time.

It is usually best to start it with the -y option so that it doesn't keep prompting you for each sector repair.

Not so much a question, more a notification -- after fixdisk failed to run the first time ( umount: can't umount /mnt/hd1: Device or resource busy) I was a little surprised that "have you tried turning it off and on again?" caused it to work.
Was stuck for ages at '7899'. Have just seen telnet report "Connection closed by foreign host."

Have just seen telnet report "Connection closed by foreign host."
Keeping a Telnet connection alive can be a problem, but the fixdisk session will continue regardless and can be reconnected to later. However, you won't be getting status messages or prompted for input.

I appear to have a "hit any key" problem ... hit u instead of y, was treated as n, possibly that tool could do with fixing

Running select disk self test
Error at LBA 1269938103
Do you wish to attempt repair of the bad block? [Y/N]: u
Skipped repair of LBA 1269938103

Checking partition tables...
MBR Status: MBR only
GPT Status: not present

Using superblock 0 on sda1
Using superblock 0 on sda2
Using superblock 0 on sda3
Dev: /dev/sda LBA: 1269938081
LBA: 1269938081 is on partition /dev/sda2, start: 2104515, bad sector offset: 1267833566
dumpe2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
Using superblock 0
Block size: 4096
LBA 1269938081 maps to file system block 158479195 on /dev/sda2

Checking to see if this block is in use...
debugfs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
Block 158479195 is marked as in use

Searching for inode...
debugfs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)

EDIT
All done. Disk is clean, device is working. Since fixdisk reported something like 130 problems ...
I bought a 5000T. I should have read the reports in the appropriate forum first; I've had it less than a day and I hate it, I have already encountered pretty much every problem reported.
So I have also bought a new remote control for £7 to replace the two I have worn out in the past ten years, and a new disk for £46.
Currently wearing a Seagate ST31000424CS Pipeline HD 2, ordered Seagate ST2000VM003 Pipeline HD 2.

EDIT
New disk is in. I expected from previous posts to encounter problems partitioning and formatting it. But I have Custom Firmware 3.13 alrwady installed, and it's formatting from the remote cotnol as 1802GB available, 20GB used, 197GB reserved.

Last edited:
Back