Maplin bargain

I don't go green anyway, but I'm not worried about warranty given the unlikelihood of obtaining a replacement! Can always take it back to Maplin for a refund.

This must be new stock rather than the 'graded' boxes that Humax direct sells? I wonder where they came from: do you think they found a pallet in the back of the warehouse? If they are brand new boxes, presumably they can be registered with Humax for a two year warranty? So no going green then!

They don't say "Used" or anything like that, so the default assumption is they count as brand new retail stock and are indeed valid for a 2 year warranty.

What does going green have to do with this? Green the colour, green as in environmentally friendly or what?

Green as in the colour of the HDR-Fox LED display after removing the orange filter.

Ah right. Yes I have removed the filter from mine, my parents and my aunt's HDR Fox T2's. Note it's a VFD (Vacuum Flourescent Display) not LED.

I'll probably keep this new one as a spare, so it doesn't matter that I can't initially remove the filter.

Just picked mine up, it is in full retail packaging with a "300GB" manual, quick-start guide, SCART lead, HDMI lead, handset, batteries, etc etc.

This is old version hardware (horizontal aerial sockets - none of my fleet are new version), and the handset is MDB 1.3. I can't imagine where they've come from.

Just picked mine up, it is in full retail packaging with a "300GB" manual, quick-start guide, SCART lead, HDMI lead, handset, batteries, etc etc.

This is old version hardware (horizontal aerial sockets - none of my fleet are new version), and the handset is MDB 1.3. I can't imagine where they've come from.

Good, none of my fleet are the new vertical aerial sockets and from what I've heard I don't want one (much brighter display, lower tuner sensitivity). I just hope mine is old hardware when it arrives by courier.

If the last one I picked up at Maplin was anything to go by, it will probably be loaded with a very early firmware version.

Good, none of my fleet are the new vertical aerial sockets and from what I've heard I don't want one (much brighter display, lower tuner sensitivity). I just hope mine is old hardware when it arrives by courier.
The new type seem to be perfectly OK, the display does not seem to be noticeably brighter, even with orange filter removed. I have not noticed any difference with the tuner sensitivity.

That's good news, mine is being delivered by courier to Redditch from Cardiff by courier (costs an extra tenner and can be arranged at your local Maplins.

If anyone wants one and is prepared to pay an extra tenner, you can arrange a courier intershop transfer in store. Mine is coming from Cardiff to Redditch.

Just picked my first of 3. It is in full retail packaging minus the tape that usually seals the protective covering of the unit itself, with a "300GB" manual, quick-start guide, SCART lead, HDMI lead, handset with batteries pre-inserted.

This is old version hardware (horizontal aerial sockets - none of my swarm are the new version), and the handset is MDB 1.3. The unit itself looks as though it is ex-display. There is one light scratch on the top of the unit less than 1cm long. It is pre-tuned to channels 43 (D3+4), 28 (com6) and 25 (unknown).

Edit: Version 1.02.28 - loader a7.33 - serial 7105524 -and a bright display that I can see!

I think that they must have sold out now, there is no option to purchase.:(

Not on-line, no. What you have to do is put in a location to find stock in shops - they will be listed in order of distance. You can then "click and collect", or go to your local shop to get one shipped from another shop.

Oh. It looks like the in-store ones are all gone too.

Bound to be, otherwise they would not have been discounted so much. Old model, HDR-2000T to put on the shelves...

Bound to be, otherwise they would not have been discounted so much. Old model, HDR-2000T to put on the shelves...

But the 2000T is a poorer product, and no custom firmware either (because Humax won't pull their finger out and issue a software update).

The new type seem to be perfectly OK, the display does not seem to be noticeably brighter, even with orange filter removed. I have not noticed any difference with the tuner sensitivity.
Brian is spot on about the revised hardware version. I had set up a HD-FOX at a relative's house but the channels on the new HD MUX were blocky, with a fluctuating signal quality bar. I immediately swapped it with another HD-FOX, but this was the same. More recently, I replaced it with an 're' HDR-FOX. Channels like BBC Four HD were still breaking-up and unwatchable on the HD-FOX immediately before I replaced it, but on the 're' HDR-FOX they were fine, with a good, stable picture.
The displays are bright at first but soften after a couple of months. I think the brightness is just a function of age. I had to replace a front panel on a HDR-FOX, with a new one sourced from Humax. The part they sent, though, had been manufactured a while back and was still on Micom 9.3, so was the type installed in old style units. It was really bright. A few months later and it has dimmed a bit.

Back