Maplin bargain

I hope mine turns up soon. The nearest one available in a Maplin shop was about thirty miles away, but you could still order online for free delivery at the time. My card was charged straight away, but on my account, the order is still 'processing'. I am a little concerned that they may not have had quite as many units in stock as they thought.

I got my shipping notification a few hours ago so hopefully it will be with me in the next day or so!

The 3 I bought appear to have different histories:

Unit one:
(As said earlier) it had been previously opened and partially tuned to two different transmitters (probably Crystal Palace C28 and Bluebell Hill C43) presumably by the accompanying remote. The cardboard box shows signs of having been around for a while but is in an OK condition.
Version 1.02.28 – loader a7.33 – serial 7105524 (Mac = DC-D3-21)

Unit two:
Missing remote, - missing batteries – some paper work missing – some cabling missing – top of unit had multiple small dents, scratches and needed a light clean.
Serial number was in the region of 71054 (Mac = DC-D3-21) but i didn’t make a note of it.

Unit three:
Appears to be previously unopened and new.
Version 1.02.29 – loader a7.33 – serial 7105763 (Mac = DC-D3-21)

The display of the 3rd unit has about the same luminescence as one I had from new initally had. The display of the 1st unit is much brighter than any HDR-FOX T2 I’ve seen before. If the 1st unit is not faulty and I remove the orange filter, use redring to turn the display off in standby (or power saving) and use redring to dim it when in use it then the display may outlast the rest of the unit!

What mildly concerns me is that the first unit could be faulty with the initial symptom being the intensely bright display.

Mine has apparently arrived but I won't get my hands on it until tomorrow. I'm told the box is battered and the contents seem to be bubble wrapped!

Mine has apparently arrived but I won't get my hands on it until tomorrow. I'm told the box is battered and the contents seem to be bubble wrapped!

The Maplin web site claimed they are new. We are therefore legally entitled to goods that are new. If they are seconds or returns then Maplin should have advertised them as such.

I haven't even received shipping notification for mine.

The Maplin web site claimed they are new. We are therefore legally entitled to goods that are new. If they are seconds or returns then Maplin should have advertised them as such.
I suspect that many are ex-display models, which would still be classed as new.

I had a text from Maplin this afternoon:
Your Click & Collect order xxx/xxxxx is waiting for collection. Your items will be held until 07/10/2014
(sic)

Maybe I should get down there and see if they have another one for me?!!

I've just received my despatch notice by email from Maplin. Looks like the very last one ordered online does exist after all.

Mine was brand new, still had all the protective films on it, but the box was very tatty. Contents absolutely fine and 2yr warranty registered no problem. Came with 1.2.28 firmware.

I was given duff gen. The outer box was a bit battered and stuffed with bubble wrap, but within there is a pristine new box with everything inside. Looks brand new with protective films intact and serial number is in the 63710576.... range. No red warning sticker above the aerial connectors though and no sign that one was ever there. Can't test it until this evening.

Version 1.02.29 (my, that EPG is fast!) with loader a7.33, passes all of the standard tests that BH has proposed in the past.

Mine has arrived. Full retail packaging in good condition except for a bit of rubbing, looks like it's been in a stook room for while. Inside, the plastic bag with the remote and batteries etc is unopened and brand new. The paper manual has a few dog eared pages as if the HDR Fox T2 has been in and out of the packaging a couple of times. The mains plug still has the plastic sheaths on the pins and the nasty sticky label on the mains lead (I always remove them, I think they look awful and the adhesive always goes nasty and gooey). The only thing that doesn't look new about it is the protective film is missing from the HDR's front panel and the casework isn't a perfect mirror finish. The label to show if the casework has been opened is present.

If I had to guess I'd say this has been a display unit on a shelf in a store, but never powered on.

EDIT: it has horizontal aerial sockets, thankfully. The 4 boxes I already look after with myself and family are all horizontal, so I wanted another the same.

Mine came on Wednesday too. It is the same batch as Luke's first new box: software version 1.02.28 – loader a7.33 – part serial no. 7105524. The box is a bit weathered and has a sticker on it saying "clearance ex-display -5%". Inside the remote has never been used, but the unit itself had no film on it, so it has been out of the box. Apart from a small, shallow scratch on the front panel it is pristine. I installed CFW and the disk power on hours was zero. So it was unused before I got it. If it was a display model it had never been plugged in and had not been on display for long.

What, you missed the great big "Used Item" flash at the top left of the picture???

Mine hasn't turned up yet which is making me :( , considering I was first and everybody else seems to have got theirs.

Back