Maplin bargain

After reading the various comments on here I looked at my unit (received Friday 4th July) again. It appears from the labels, on the quite clean box, that mine was picked from a warehouse rather than a shop. It is very clean and had the plastic across the front although not on the top. Remote and batteries were in sealed packaging and upon switching on I had to go through the setting up procedure (region, tuning etc.) Leads are in sealed bags and the firmware version seems to be the newest of those mentioned on here. I am tempted to swop it for my 1tb unit after the problems I have had with the previous 2 units (both replaced).

What? You missed the great big edit?
You edited it after I posted the message (and yes I did check), so quite why you feel the need to post this, in a failed attempt to make me look stupid, I don't really know.

Well, if it's a failed attempt, why the need to post?
I thought I edited it very fast but obviously not fast enough for you.

Point of note: If someone is watching a thread and has asked for an email to be sent when a new reply is posted, then a snip-it of the reply is sent as part of that email. No amount of editing the original post can alter what has already been sent.

But I am sure you are already aware. TBH, prpr is right. Blimey, I've gone and said it now ;)

Not yet and I'm now :mad::mad::mad: and trying to do battle with their customer dis-service dept.

As expected Maplin don't want to know. As far as they're concerned it was dispatched and that's that. They have no tracking info. and can only tell me to contact my local Royal Mail delivery office. Of course you can't talk to them so I've physically got to go and they're only open mornings 8-12 - if this works I'll be amazed.
Can anyone who used the free delivery option tell me what service was used (address label details etc.) and how the box was delivered and who by please?
Thanks for any info.

Is it not the case that according to the distance selling regulations that it is the responsibility of the seller to deliver the item to the buyer? That reads to me that it is their responsibility to trace any 'lost' items.

Consumer Contracts Regulations replaced DSR on 14th June, and yes they have to deliver items in a 'timely' manner. Practically speaking it probably does mean they are responsible, as they are the only ones with the info. to pursue a claim with RM, not me. I suppose I will have to go and check with the delivery office tomorrow just to get them off my back, but it's a hassle and cost I could do without. I have no contract with RM, they do, so it can't be up to me to do the leg-work can it? I guess 'cos it only £85 that I can't get an automatic credit card refund, but I'm certainly going to call them and try if Maplin refuse to sort it.

Maplin can't refuse to sort it. You are exactly right - you have no contract with the delivery agent, and if Maplin sent it without tracking info that's their problem. If they can't prove they dispatched it, they didn't dispatch it.

Can anyone who used the free delivery option tell me what service was used (address label details etc.) and how the box was delivered and who by please?
Thanks for any info.
Either Maplin used multiple carriers on this or they are telling you BS. I used the free delivery service. The preliminary e-mail indicated that they were using Royal Mail, but mine was actually sent using Yodel (www.myyodel.co.uk). I got an e-mail and text message from Yodel with a tracking number when it was dispatched, and an e-mail plus text message confirming delivery.

Either Maplin used multiple carriers on this or they are telling you BS. I used the free delivery service. The preliminary e-mail indicated that they were using Royal Mail, but mine was actually sent using Yodel (www.myyodel.co.uk). I got an e-mail and text message from Yodel with a tracking number when it was dispatched, and an e-mail plus text message confirming delivery.

Mine was delivered by Yodel also, despite the email saying it was coming by Royal Mail. I also got the emails and texts from Yodel described above for the delivery.

Interesting, thanks for that. I've had nothing from anybody since the initial despatch message from Maplin. Looks like my trip to the post office tomorrow will be pointless, but I knew that anyway. When I spoke to Customer Dis-services last week they told me it was sent by Royal Mail and that they didn't have a tracking number. It seemed too big/heavy a parcel to send by RM to me, but you kind of have to accept what they say until you know they are lying to you.

Just to confirm that my unit was delivered by Yodel. I however paid for next day delivery which was fulfilled. I also got the email and text message from Yodel regarding delivery. This was delivery on July 4th for a July 3rd order.

After what I thought would be a pointless trip to the delivery office on Monday actually turned out to be so, I told them it had been lost/stolen in transit and played the "Consumer Contracts Regulations" card and they caved immediately. They sent me two emails - one saying they had refunded the payment to the method of the original payment (CC in my case), and another saying they had created a credit note and I could either spend it or request a refund. So now I don't know what they have actually done. I have requested refund of the credit note anyway (like I'm gonna spend anything with them again!), in case they haven't already put the money back to my card.
Apparently it takes 3-5 working days to do this, which is strange when it seems to come out of your account the same day when they're taking your money. I don't see why these things should be asymmetrical really.
They didn't answer any of my questions about delivery method and Yodel etc.

Apparently it takes 3-5 working days to do this, which is strange when it seems to come out of your account the same day when they're taking your money. I don't see why these things should be asymmetrical really.
That's because a real person has to input the data to some computer or other and takes 3 days to do it. The transfer itself will be pretty instant.

I see someone's removed my last post on this thread, yet again.
I don't know why. It wasn't contentious. It was just an update. (And you want other people to pay for you megalomaniacs to continue with this disgraceful behaviour? Dream on.)

A final update is that I have now received my refund from Maplin after having to threaten them with legal action as the next step.

Back