Media mistakes

I wonder what the real volume of water was? I have recently been hit with a 650 litres/hour leak in my water supply; fortunately before my water meter
45 litres per square metre according to some other reports of the same emergency

45mm

1 metre cube = 1000 litres
Reflect the reduction of 1000 litres to 45 litres by reducing the height by a similar proportion and it becomes 45/1000 metres, which is the same as 45mm.

Perhaps that's how rainfall gets expressed in other parts of the world, ie as "litres" meaning litres per square metre. They might be just as mystified by inches.

45mm

1 metre cube = 1000 litres
Reflect the reduction of 1000 litres to 45 litres by reducing the height by a similar proportion and it becomes 45/1000 metres, which is the same as 45mm.
Why do they bother with saying per square metre? It's not like it's just raining in a square metre. It does so in the next and in the next.
Just say the depth of rain/flood is 45 mm

Why do they bother with saying per square metre? It's not like it's just raining in a square metre. It does so in the next and in the next.
Just say the depth of rain/flood is 45 mm
The amount of rain falling will not be equal to the depth of flooding caused will it. Absorption and run off or into will cause a massive difference.
( One for "Assume v. Presume" I know but why is it Absorption and not Absorbtion when absorbing and absorbed are used. )

1mm of rain is also 1 cubic mm, 1x1x1. 1,000 of them in each horizontal direction gives you 1 litre over 1m2.
Makes me wonder if the 1mm is actually a contraction of the 1cumm.

Don't think so.
It's the depth of a cuboid with a base of 1 m2
It is that, but that doesn't mean it's the origin of the term.
I'm not saying you aren't right but can you cite a source for your assertion? Otherwise you're just giving an alternative opinion.

(This is heading into AvP territory :rolleyes: )

why is it Absorption and not Absorbtion when absorbing and absorbed are used
Good explanation here. This recent chat has reminded me of an earlier signage error at the entrance to Datchet Sailing Club, with facts about the Queen Mother Reservoir, stating it holds 38m^3 of water (correct figure is 38 million m^3 - interestingly I see Wikipedia quotes "38,000 megalitres", which is also correct, but using units I find harder to get my head around).

Good explanation here.
Interesting, but with elements of claptrap.
Human vocal tract is designed in such a way that consonant clusters that differ in voice are difficult to pronounce...
Designed?!!

Difficulties of pronunciation are only relevant in that laziness creeps in and then spellings follow pronunciation. Don't try telling me that the vocal tract is unable to perform such feats – it's a question of practice. Take, for example, the African click languages.

People pontificate and then other people take those pontifications as fact. They're not, they are only opinions.

[edit: errant comma removed]

Last edited:
Posted on X (previously known as Twitter ;)) (my emphasis)
@NETTram said:
Due to a tram fault we have no service from Highbury Vale tram stop toward Hucknall. Trams travelling from Clifton and Toton will be terminating at Phoenix Park. There will be a shuttle tram from Highbury Vale to Hucknall. NCT Yellow Line buses are accepting our passes.
Are there trams between Highbury Vale and Hucknall or not? (The lines to Phoenix Park and Hucknall go through HV in different directions, there are 4 platforms - but that's not the point)

Good explanation here. This recent chat has reminded me of an earlier signage error at the entrance to Datchet Sailing Club, with facts about the Queen Mother Reservoir, stating it holds 38m^3 of water (correct figure is 38 million m^3 - interestingly I see Wikipedia quotes "38,000 megalitres", which is also correct, but using units I find harder to get my head around).
Thanks for the link though speaking for myself I find that Absorbtion rolls of the tongue far better than Absorption maybe due to me being non Latino :)

Back