Media mistakes

The usual local culprit has done it again!
nottinghampost.com said:
Crews attended a major fire at a large block of flats just off the Embankment in West Bridgford. Pictures from the scene at the Rivermead Flats on Wilford Lane show scores of fire engines in attendance and many residents on their balconies watching the crews at work....

Seven fire engines and an aerial ladder platform attended the incident,
That'll be eight then. Nowhere near scores.

Football score? Maybe a rugby score. But (almost) definitely not a cricket score.
Scores (plural) - a minimum of forty, compared with eight. Hyperbole, or hyperbolic? Blx. :D
I bet some useless cricket team has been 40 all out.

The usual local culprit has done it again!

That'll be eight then. Nowhere near scores.
How many (let's call them) Millenials+ know what score means? They might think it just means "lots".

There's an item in the Mail today which claims GenZ think up to 10 minutes late is still on time. I guess that means they've never tried to catch a train/plane.

What???

For one thing, the top (normal) break is 147 and a gross is 12x12 = 144, so this
The top score in snooker is a gross (if you start with a free ball on green).
is an underestimate even without a free ball.

Secondly, if you've started with a free ball, it counts as 1 point whatever the colour (because it's a substitute red). Follow that with a black (making 8 points) and then a full maximum clearance of 147, makes 155.

How many (let's call them) Millenials+ know what score means? They might think it just means "lots".
Don't they learn anything in school?
There's an item in the Mail today which claims GenZ think up to 10 minutes late is still on time. I guess that means they've never tried to catch a train/plane.
I think the local bus company classes 5 minutes before to 5 minutes after as on time. Nice to hear one commentator refer to Gen Zed not Gen Zee.

Don't they learn anything in school?
Schools don't teach feet and inches, so are they likely to teach biblical number systems? I'm pretty sure this is the kind of thing I picked up from my parents rather than formal education.

Schools don't teach feet and inches,
You'll be telling me next they don't teach pounds, shillings and pence either. ;) What about dozens?

Re. score - if the journalist or editor doesn't know what it means, look it up or don't use it.
I'm pretty sure this is the kind of thing I picked up from my parents rather than formal education.
You might be right. If score is a biblical number system (noting RobH1's comment), it should be taught as part of RE (if that's still taught).

Back