Media mistakes

I didn't realise, until I was refused use of a voucher in the "wrong" region, that the Co-Op was regionalised, and that one region's Co-Op didn't really care about the other Co-Ops.
Northern, Central and Southern are all apparently different organisations, but they don't really seem to like to advertise the fact.
Yep. It's irritating and daft. No doubt it has historical and possibly political roots but it does them no favours. To add to the lack of clarity various other Co-op bits may or may not be associated (eg the bank used to be but isn't now (and is now being taken over by the Coventry BS anyway)). Not sure about the funeral services.

It seems that the only people these days that have a preference for the Co-op are shoplifters. Whenever a shoplifting offence is in the local news or on a crime show the Co-op seems to get mentioned more than anywhere else, the ATM wreckers seem to like it too. I expect due to location as most are not in town centers.

Last edited:
I always put the small change in first to reduce the amount of small change I end up with. So in your case I would get a fiver back as a note.

What does annoy me is when a self-service till rejects the self-same small coins it gave me the previous time I used that till! :mad:
I wouldn't bet on getting a note as change. I've had them dish out a heap of small change (i.e. silver and coppers, not £1 & £2 coins) when a fiver would do.

I didn't realise, until I was refused use of a voucher in the "wrong" region, that the Co-Op was regionalised, and that one region's Co-Op didn't really care about the other Co-Ops.
Northern, Central and Southern are all apparently different organisations, but they don't really seem to like to advertise the fact.
Close to me there are co-ops from 3 different co-op groups. The co-op vouchers and discounts do only work in a shop from the appropriate group, but they are connected. With the ones I've tried, the overall annual dividend for "members" can be accumulated using the cards from the other groups.

I only got my first co-op loyalty card to try and work out how they worked. It turned out that most of the shop assistants weren't aware of the different "regions", and have no idea and that if you present a card from a different region why the discount doesn't come up despite the machines obviously recognising the card. It took a few months before one shop assistant actually new why the card wasn't fully working and told me that each group had its own loyalty card.
I haven't noticed the Tesco self-checkouts timing out the receipt option. IIRC they will "time out" to a "do you need more time?" screen. Asda presents a count-down from something reasonable (10 seconds?). I think Morrisons does the same. But the Co-Op just flashed it up and timed out so fast I didn't have time to react (as a newcomer).
One of my local co-ops (a national with blue loyalty card) gives you a count down of 3, but it appears to be less than 3 seconds. If I want a receipt I run my fingers repeatedly where the request receipt icon will eventually show until it does show and my request is acknowledged.

But yes, I agree: particularly younger checkout operators get quite confused when I hand over more cash than they expect, to round up the change. Some get confused by cash at all. And some even just assume I don't want a receipt!
Two of the three co-op shops I visit had notices displayed stating that they do not issue receipts unless requested. These started to be displayed shortly after the "no mandatory receipt" policy came into force a couple of years ago for that region and have only recently been removed.

I always put the small change in first to reduce the amount of small change I end up with. So in your case I would get a fiver back as a note.

What does annoy me is when a self-service till rejects the self-same small coins it gave me the previous time I used that till! :mad:
About six months ago I had a few coppers that I thought I would never got rid of without making an effort. At a Tesco I put them in first, then opted to pay the rest by card. What the machine did was to request 50 pence more than the remaining payment, and gave me no option that I could see for anything else. I paid what it requested (on autopilot while looking for any options) and it spurted out 50 pence of shrapnel at me. How I laughed!
Next time I looked for the cheapest item in my basket and paid for that separately in cash.

The same Tesco also hides its battery return bin. The spent battery bin is in an out of the way position and frequently hidden beyond a wall of creates full of empty boxes. Any one I know is free to give me their spent batteries and I'll take them to that Tesco next time I'm going.

I wouldn't bet on getting a note as change. I've had them dish out a heap of small change (i.e. silver and coppers, not £1 & £2 coins) when a fiver would do.
Hopefully no more then 20 pence of either one pence, or two pence. Any more of either is not legal tender.

Last edited:
One of my local co-ops (a national with blue loyalty card) gives you a count down of 3, but it appears to be less than 3 seconds.
Perhaps that's what I experienced.

Two of the three co-op shops I visit had notices displayed stating that they do not issue receipts unless requested. These started to be displayed shortly after the "no mandatory receipt" policy came into force a couple of years ago for that region and have only recently been removed.
That seems plain stupid. Just because Millennials are daft enough not to take a receipt doesn't mean they are not a good idea – especially if you pay by cash and therefore there is no audit trail to prove you haven't nicked the goods. And again, to return something that might prove to be faulty. If not paying cash, there is some kind of audit trail through banking records – but you don't get itemised information, just a total spend. No doubt there is a way to link a transaction with bank through to POS records, but that is not accessible to the customer. Demand receipts every time, and complain to head office about the time-out!

Back to media mistakes: the newsreader on ClassicFM just finished an item about the Japanese emperor's UK visit and went on to read the weather bulletin: "It will be sunny in England and Ja... Wales".

Can you cite a reference for that?
Its buried in the page Rodder53 linked to in the section titled "So what's actually classed as legal tender?"

Additional limits on coins are listed at

But transactions in shops do not come under the auspices of legal tender. Legal tender applies to settling debts, not treat to buy. Shops can specify any method of payment they like, and the purchaser can choose whether to accept those terms or not to buy (and ditto the other way around).

Two local news sources have quoted the following price rise announcement from the Nottingham tram operator.
The decision will see price adjustments "across the board", with adult single journey tickets set to increase by 10p, taking them from £3.20 to £3.30, a day adult ticket set to increase by 10p, taking it from £5.30 to £5.40, and weekly adult tickets set to increase by 50p, taking them from £23.00 to £23.50. Meanwhile, group off-peak tickets will also be going up by 50p, taking them from £8.50 to £9.00.

The increases, which will be observed across most ticket types, amount to just over 5 per cent, says the operator.
Five percent? Only the group off-peak is rising by over 5%. Average the four ticket types and it's less than 5%. Unless there are some missing ticket types with large increases. Bad journalism not to question the handout figures.

It's a typeface.
Microsoft's article Arial font family refers to typeface, but also mentions font. A typeface ladder platform wouldn't make sense. Font has at least two meanings, and one might require climbing (at least by the toytown fire brigade). It was an attempt at humour, based on my annoyance at the use of arial when it should be aerial.

Microsoft's article Arial font family refers to typeface, but also mentions font.
It's a common error which has become de-facto. A font is a specific typeface at a specific point size (and probably whether it is italic, emboldened, whatever as well), so 12pt Times New Roman is a different font than 11pt Times New Roman. But the proletariat use "font" to mean typeface, probably because that's how the selection box is labelled in word processors.

Back