Mix AR with Padding. Possible?

Trev

The Dumb One
Had a quick look and couldn't find the answer.
Mostly I use AR which usually turns out OK. But the other night I recorded two consecutive programmes from Yesterday using AR. The first one started OK but finished early. The second one had the last of the first one tacked on to the start, but also finished early. Now, I understand that this is likely caused by Yesterday's AR inaccuracies. So the question is, can you mix and match AR with padding using the CF?
I am fairly sure that the answer is NO.

If you install the multimode package you can specify AR or padding on a channel by channel basis. Without installing multimode you can change to padding on selected recordings. If you go into Web-If>Scheduled Events and click on the 'more' button by a recording you can disable AR and pad it instead: you then need to reboot to make the changes take effect. Stick to AR as your default on the box though: if you change a recording to padding from AR it works fine, but if padding is your global default and you change a recording to AR it will probably fail.

Thanks MET for your great answer. I'll give that a good stiff checking out tonight. In fact, there's no time like the present before I forget that I asked and what the answer was.;)

Challenge: How about a hybrid AR - Padding function such that the prog starts recording on AR but finishes on AR + (say) 5 mins as it always seems to be the end that's cut off for me.
I'll get me coat.;)
EDIT: Or, as BH says below, take me out and shoot me (Gen Dreedle, Catch 22 {misquote})

Last edited:
I'll get me coat.;)
Be taken to the firing squad more like!

Alternative: use auto-padding but install ar-bookmarks. That way you get padded recordings (with the problems of late running live broadcasts), with bookmarks placed at the start and end flags. Play followed by Skip to Bookmark starts the playback at the AR start, or you can enable auto-crop to top and tail the recording.

But if I use ar-bookmarks and auto-crop, surely will that just crop the end off the programme just like the AR problem that I am sometimes having?:frantic:
(But I'm not so thick as to see the way round this problem)
So what's the advantage of using ar-bookmarks and auto-crop over just doing an AR recording. Or am I a lot thicker than I thought I am.

What was the question again??:sleep:

I agree, I was just pointing out the possibility. I suspect it can be useful if filtered through sweeper or something to apply cropping under specific circumstances. I regard arbookmarks as the best compromise, providing a bookmark at the AR start of a padded recording, and detectads providing a bookmark at the end of adverts. I can't use AR on my news server, because of the multi-region tuning.

What you could do is delete the second bookmark and then crop.

If you don't trust the end AR point then you cant use cropping,
You could go back to DetectAds with cropping in conjunction with padding but then again you are relying on fallible automation to accurately spot the end.

Junk at the end of recordings rarely bothers me since I usually just press stop when the credits start - long before the AR end point

The whole point of my idea is that I don't trust the end AR 'flag' as using AR (my default) has several times cut off the end of the programme. I can handle the dross at the start of a programme using the FF button and dross after the end by the simple expedient of hitting the stop button but I can't recover missing stuff that AR trimmed off.
I have had quite a few failures with detect-ads with auto crop that has really peed off SWMBO so am loathe to try it any more.
What you could do is delete the second bookmark and then crop.
Too much hassle. Think I'll try
I regard arbookmarks as the best compromise, providing a bookmark at the AR start of a padded recording, and detectads providing a bookmark at the end of adverts.
At least the start AR should be there or there abouts, and a 5 min padding will likely catch most programming inaccuracies. Any major delay is usually obtainable elsewhere on catchup. The problem that I have, and suspect that most do is that after watching 56 mins and then getting the last two cut off tends to pee one off a bit, but not enough tho go finding the programme on +1 or whatever.

You can because the original will be there in the bin as a fall-back.
Appreciated, but it's a pain in the bottom having to find it, FF to the bit you missed whilst trying desperately to ignore HWMBO banging on with such things as "What are you doing" and "bloody technology. Why can't we have something simple that just works. etc. etc." There is a law that says it will only go wrong when it's something that she wants to watch.

As a for instance of what I'm up against is that when I change channels from 1 to 101 (on my TV) she asks me"What are you doing? Why did you do that?" :frantic:
on my 48" 4k TV:rolling:.

I usually use the EPG for recording, but to save me poking about, can I set to record (say) from 8pm, ch12 for 2 hours. A YES or NO answer is good enough, as if it's YES then I'll poke around.

The programmes that started this all off was that I wanted to record two consecutive programmes on Yesterday. I can't remember whether or not I was trying to record something else at the same time. It trimmed off the last couple of mins of the first programme and tacked them onto the start of the second. Is this normal? The second programme also lost the last couple of mins, which is why I suspected faulty AR transmission.

I usually use the EPG for recording, but to save me poking about, can I set to record (say) from 8pm, ch12 for 2 hours. A YES or NO answer is good enough, as if it's YES then I'll poke around.
I'm not sure I understand the question. If you mean "if I record a service en-bloc, will arbookmarks identify all the programme change points", the answer is "I don't know" - but it will be interesting to find out. Try it, let us know.

You can set a manual recording for any channel for any times (duration) you want (and create a repeating pattern to simulate a crude series record). Easiest way is create a standard one of recording and simply edit it to whatever start/stop times (and repeat pattern) in the scheduled recording list.

At one time it was the only way to avoid duplicate recordings for the lunchtime channel 5 soaps.

@GLT. Thanks
@BH I'll try the arbookmarks later on a long recording and report back

Trev - on channels where AR is unreliable I use padding, with DetectAds to bookmark the ad breaks but not crop them. When you get to the adverts just hit the 'go to next bookmark' button. I know you have to do a few button presses you wouldn't need to do if you had cropped too, but it gets around the problem of missing the end of the programme.

Back