mongoose_error.log

192.168.0.6 was my laptop, but it has now been allocated a different IP address. Most, if not all favicon errors were coming from my iPad.
Both items have a Netgear Genie app, which I could try disabling to see if that makes any difference.

Naughty Netgear! Oh well, if it is a "benign" cause (does this Genie app do anything worthwhile?), maybe keeping it happy is the path of least resistance.

I have uninstalled the Genie app on my iPad and laptop, and removed the currentsetting.htm and favicon.ico files from one box to see if the mongoose_error.log reappears.
The apps are quite useful as they show things connected to the network, the pc one is much better than the iPad version, as it also lets you do many other things to do with the routers configuration. There is also a main interface accessed from a web browser which is where all settings can be seen and configured.

The mongoose_error.log has returned with currentsetting.htm errors, but this time it was coming from another laptop running the Genie app. This laptop has now been turned off, and those errors have stopped. I turned my iPad on, and am now getting favicon.ico errors. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing them.

As an experiment, I tried adding WebIF for HDR3 to my iPad home screen. This makes Safari fetch an icon, and I expected to see the H but ended up with a thumbnail of the WebIF home page. Lo and behold I got a mongoose error log appear on HDR3!
Code:
>>> Contents of /var/log/mongoose_error.log 816.00 bytes
[1372027440] [error] [client 192.168.1.112] GET /apple-touch-icon-144x144-precomposed.png: Error 404: Not Found
[1372027440] [error] [client 192.168.1.112] GET /apple-touch-icon-144x144.png: Error 404: Not Found
[1372027440] [error] [client 192.168.1.112] GET /apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png: Error 404: Not Found
[1372027440] [error] [client 192.168.1.112] GET /apple-touch-icon.png: Error 404: Not Found
[1372027472] [error] [client 192.168.1.112] GET /apple-touch-icon-144x144-precomposed.png: Error 404: Not Found
[1372027472] [error] [client 192.168.1.112] GET /apple-touch-icon-144x144.png: Error 404: Not Found
[1372027472] [error] [client 192.168.1.112] GET /apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png: Error 404: Not Found
[1372027472] [error] [client 192.168.1.112] GET /apple-touch-icon.png: Error 404: Not Found

If you recall (from HERE), favicons are used by "normal" browsers. I bookmarked the WebIF in iPad Chrome, and it added a couple more lines to the log:
Code:
[1372027958] [error] [client 192.168.1.112] GET /favicon.ico: Error 404: Not Found
[1372027958] [error] [client 192.168.1.112] GET /apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png: Error 404: Not Found
[1372028037] [error] [client 192.168.1.112] GET /favicon.ico: Error 404: Not Found
[1372028037] [error] [client 192.168.1.112] GET /apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png: Error 404: Not Found

And yet it found a lower case h on an orange background from somewhere.

It seems to me favicon (etc) errors are perfectly normal for modern browser activity, which tries to download resources which may not be there, but currentsetting.htm still feels like a potential exploit.

Right, that has helped me, and I think that I have fixed the favicon.ico error with the iPad.:)
I found an icon with a black capital H on an orange background, renamed it as favicon.ico, and placed it on the Humax in "/mod/webif/html/" this has now added the icon to my webif browser tab on the iPad (there was no icon previously), and the favicon.ico error seems to have stopped.:)

Perhaps af123 could add a favicon.ico into the next webif update.

This is the one that I found. favicon.png

I have had a look at Tenable Nessus, this seems to be aimed at business users, and is rather expensive.
Nessus used to be free to use for non-commercial use and I think it still is, at least for a 15 day trial, I certainly wouldn't by it, when our company bought a licence it was £5000

I have found the favicon.png icon in "/mod/webif/html/img/" and have placed a copy of this in "/mod/webif/html/" so now have the same favicon on my iPad and laptop.:)

The Netgear Genie app has now been removed from the other laptop on my network and the currentsetting.htm error seems to have stopped.:)

As an experiment, I tried adding WebIF for HDR3 to my iPad home screen. This makes Safari fetch an icon, and I expected to see the H but ended up with a thumbnail of the WebIF home page.
Something is wrong here. I deleted a load of my iPad home screen icons after I got my favourites homepage working (link as above), but they used to be a blue capital H on white. Where has that gone? Any comment af123?

The blue capital H on white icon is still present on hummy.tv and hummy.tv Wiki.

The favicon for the webif has always been the lower case h as shown in #28. It isn't in the root of the site but all web pages include:

Code:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href=/img/favicon.ico />

which should make browsers find it in the right place.

I can certainly put a copy in the root for the next version along with specific hi-res versions for iDevices. In fact most of them already exist if you bookmark the mobile site version.

...except that my experiments indicated they all do their own thing, in particular expecting to find it at root rather than down a folder branch.

So where does the blue H come from then? 4291 showed me a screen grab with the blue H icon on the homepage, I asked whether he could create a new bookmark the same, and he could.

Not sure where the blue H came from in that case. Webif 1.0.3-1, just uploaded, has a full set of favicons.

4291 reports that his blue H has now turned into an "oblique ellipse" as a result of the WebIF update.

Ditto. I see this is supposed to be the HDR-FOX "blue circle" front panel button, but why elliptical?

Because I photographed it from the side. Try adding the site to your home screen.

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

I had blue H icons for webif home page, video, schedule, epg, diagnosis, iphone, mobileIR and iRemote. They have all changed to blue oblique ellipses, except iphone, after first use. Mongoose_error.log now shows no errors.

Correction: mobileIR is different. It seems to be an oblique row of four coloured dots, but not very distinct.

The webif upgrade does not seem to have made any visible changes on my iPad, but I have now lost the favicon.png from my laptop browser tabs when viewing the web interface. This has been replaced by the previously mentioned favicon.png which is rather hard to make out at such a small size.

I would rather replace the new version with favicon.png as this would contrast well with the hummy.tv and Wiki hummy.tv.png.

Back