Motherland

Ezra Pound

Anyone else have problems recording Motherland on BBC2 Yesterday?, it was the only recording so no conflict, was on AR which is usually reliable on the BBC but for some reason started recording 10 Mins. into the programme. It is available for download on Iplayer so not the end of the world

motherland.jpg

One of our HDR-FOX recorded it without any problem using ar. I just went and played it and the beginning and end are exactly as expected.

Mine’s failed to record Detectorists tonight, and is showing next week in the schedule.

The more cynical amongst us might think the BBC were creating a demand for Xmas DVD sales of boxed sets, as they are not repeating either Motherland or Detectorists and Iplayer files are not normally downloadable.

I see all 6 + pilot of Motherland are currently on Iplayer, whereas Detectorists isn't there at all, yet, I'm not sure what they are playing at

Last edited:
It isn’t? I accessed Episode 1 via the HDR last night (although the download didn’t complete - I don’t know why yet but my Internet is unreliable).

I have been experiencing glitches on HDR1 recently, and not just on BBC services. It’s reminiscent of several years ago when I was sceptical about AR because of poor experience, and suddenly it went reliable after a revert-to-factory event. However, these recent incidents are different in that there appears to have been no attempt made to record (no “failed to track” reports) - it just gets dropped and the next occurrence scheduled.

I will do simultaneous schedules on HDR3 (non-AR) for the time being, and observe.

Last edited:
Detectorists recorded correctly on our Freesat box, so it was presumably meant to be transmitted on Freeview. It does sound like the problems are at your end.

It isn’t? I accessed Episode 1 via the HDR last night
I only did a word search last night, so I guess there is a delay in indexing the programmes, the search works now (only Ep. 1 available) , I'm surprised the BBC haven't put the whole third series on Iplayer, they tend to do this when it is the last series e,g. Car Share

I think they only tend to do with series they know are not that good. Car Share being an example.

Car Share's ratings for the final episode were 5.4 million more than the likes of Holby City and Emmerdale, BTW I don't watch either of them, but I can see that they are popular

... and Iplayer files are not normally downloadable.
I assume you know about get_iplayer? I routinely download items from iPlayer using get_iplayer as the picture is so much better played back via VLC - or from the Humax, for that matter. (Also my Sony TV gave up on iPlayer months ago and neither Sony nor the BBC want to do anything about it...)

Detectorists 3/1 was available on iPlayer after the usual delay via a search but it took a while to appear on the iPlayer home page.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I’m sure I would have had less trouble getting a complete download had I used get_iplayer, but the TV Portal is more convenient (for me).

I've recorded Detectorists series 3 successfully thus far. Buying a bbc dvd at standard definition, at less than the broadcast quality holds zero appeal.

I had some kind of glitch with regular recordings of several programmes around the beginning of the series, but whatever it was it seems to have gone away now.

Back