My Humax HDR-Fox T2 packed in

Thanks for the reply. I will try that suggestion but I've just checked my Humax again and I can confirm the SD from months and years ago are all encrypted and the HD from the same months and years ago all play! The disk is a new 1TB disk that I copied stuff on to via the USB port of the Humax. Copied from a larger EXTFS disk that I used to backup the drive from the original box (via my PC as 2 external drives mounted using EXT2FSD.

I'll play with CF WebIF.

OK, set key to garbage and NO recordings playable, legacy or new. Set back to correct key and new recordings SD and HD OK, legacy HD OK , legacy SD not playable!!!

When first embarking on all this I was expecting the HD content to be the problem!!

If its safe to do I can post MAC and serial and show you my key.

I'm going to export a SD to a USB drive and see if OK to play; tomorrow now. TTFN

Browsing, the flags on SD recordings say SD new. On HD they are HD encrypted OD encrypted.
I've turned box on and off at mains and still the issue remains. 😔

When first embarking on all this I was expecting the HD content to be the problem!!
There is no difference between StDef and HiDef encryption. The difference is a flag in the .hmt file which de-authorises decryption on USB copy and DLNA sharing to insecure clients. Once that flag is cleared (autounprotect, or Foxy), HiDef recordings are still encrypted but behave the same as StDef recordings.

Exported a legacy SD to USB and that would't play.
That confirms previous results.

I don't think there's any way we're going to be able to solve this for you. I can't explain how these legacy recordings got into this state, unless you (or somebody) fiddled with them before without knowing what they were doing. Had you known exactly what happened to them, we may have been able to reverse it.

Nah, no fiddling. My box was straight out of factory with occasional OEM software upgrades.

Now planning to resurrect old humax. It supports a disk after booting , rather than at boot so can plug in HDD after starting. Then planning to remove all the recordings to a USB drive and then plant those on the drive in the new Humax; that should give me decrypted copies of the SD material (let me know if this wont work! I'm going to try a small scale version of it to see if its doable)

Thanks for all the help.

I suppose I could upgrade the old Humax with CF, then use the webIF to right click the files and decrypt. Do it all in situ rather than copying back and forth.

I suppose I could upgrade the old Humax with CF, then use the webIF to right click the files and decrypt. Do it all in situ rather than copying back and forth.
Much easier just to set recursive decryption [Method 2, here: Decryption Guide (click)]... but if they won't decrypt on the new HDR with the old key, they won't decrypt on the old HDR either. If they do, you got something wrong.

I might do that on the old box. Does recursive decryption make new files and keep an original - obvious disk use/size implications - it might fail if it fills disk. I did one decryption and it made a copy.

Does recursive decryption make new files and keep an original
Yes. This was discussed in another thread very recently. Install undelete and keep an eye on space usage, deleting the original as it converts.
it might fail if it fills disk.
There's no 'might' about it. It's a certainty. I think the auto-decrypt stops itself before that happens though.

All auto-processing suspends when free space reaches a critical level. Those of you using mvdisks or shareFolder=on take note!

I might do that on the old box. Does recursive decryption make new files and keep an original - obvious disk use/size implications - it might fail if it fills disk. I did one decryption and it made a copy.
There is an option on the settings page to turn off the creation of backup copies in the Dustbin,
As well as using the auto-decrypt flags you can do it in batches by choosing a folder, select all, queue for decryption.

all done; refilled a disk for the old Humax; disk connected after boot; copied to USB disk then copied over to new Humax; all SD and HD seems ok. Slow but steady , got there in the end. Thanks for help.

In the shed it goes.
Now I only have a dead WIn 10 PC to contend with; a PC that probably got jiggered when doing Humax work. Not sure how.

Thanks all for help.

To save me reading back: have you established exactly what is wrong with the "dead" HDR-FOX? That will give us a clue what useable spares it has.

To save me reading back: have you established exactly what is wrong with the "dead" HDR-FOX? That will give us a clue what useable spares it has.
I think the OP said earlier the box won't boot with the hard drive connected but will work OK if the hard drive is connected subsequently. Sounds like the power supply would be the first thing to check.

Back