[network-shares-automount] package released

"The only thing is Black Hole" using my method in post#248 you most definately do need a usb device plugged in. Without one it does not work.
Let me qualify that.....NOT ON MY SETUP.......I've been proved wrong in the past about these things, but currently as setup a usb drive is required!

Fair enough, but this might need some thinking about - it doesn't fit within my knowledge of how things are supposed to work. Any ideas BYTs? - refer to my comments in post 258.

Just for the record I would welcome your explanation re your comments "and that it is safer". Do you believe my method has inherent dangers, and if so we should include a warning in the Post#248, shouldn't we.

When we were looking into network shares originally, people tried mounting as 'virtual folders' under My Video and ran into problems (from memory):
  • It is too easy to delete the share - then the Humax client starts recursively deleting all the files on the server (possibly a NAS drive). This has happened (somebody did it twice!). It has been suggested you mount it read-only, but then you can't update the sidecar files with the resume point and bookmarks etc.
  • The DLNA indexer doesn't know about network shares, so it will spend a lot of its time exploring the server and indexing it (you could turn off content sharing if you don't need DLNA streaming from the client, that would stop it - but also disable the custom decryption methods).
  • Some custom packages (on the client) look for things to do by recursively walking the My Video contents, and although we might expect the DLNA indexer to have been written not to slug the processor too much we don't have so much control over the time slicing in the custom software. A convention is proposed that all folders starting "[" are exempt from being crawled, but I'm not sure this has been universally implemented. Certainly in the early days people experienced their Humaxes grinding to a crawl because of the network traffic induced.
  • Some users have experienced difficulty with the Humax getting confused how much disk space it has left, with erroneous readings on the pie chart and refusing to record due to 'lack of space'.
Consequently, unless you particularly want or need the share to be mounted under My Video, it's best not to.

The problems you mention have not happened to me, further My Video has over 200GB of recordings mostly Hi Def. I've done alot of [ModSettings][Shared] directory changes, deleting directories re establishing etc. with no lost recordings and no noticable slowing of my Hard drive being accessed etc. The problems you mention where possibly due to earlier experimenting or earlier pkg variants I don't know. I shall continue to use this method and report any problems. It doesn't seem any more of a risk than much of what we do with our Humax's and is certainly much easier to access the recordings. Each to there own of course.

Indeed. I admit it is less convenient to use the USB-style share on an HDR-FOX (with its internal storage) than on an HD-FOX where all storage is USB-style. Since I only use my HD-FOX to access content from the HDR (by network share), it is no bother to me to choose "HDR-FOX" from the Media menu (which defaults to USB), the only other option being "drive1" (my Ext2 UPD).

When we were looking into network shares originally, people tried mounting as 'virtual folders' under My Video and ran into problems (from memory):

I had problems with this.

I mounted my NAS under 'My Video', but it ended up confusing the Humax in terms of how much free disk space it thought it had since it now tried to include the NAS as well. The pie chart indication ended up with various spurious readings (nearly 3TB at one point I think despite a 1TB Humax and a 500GB NAS), and at one point the Humax claimed the disk was full and refused to make any more recordings, despite in reality having over 850MB free. I ended up mounting the NAS under 'drive1' with a USB stick plugged in instead and have had no problems since.

Thanks for the reminder, I will edit that into the list. Mind you, if you let it get down to less than a gigabyte you are sailing pretty close to the wind!

Also, I take it you had no problem with needing to fit a USB stick/drive in order to get your folder-style share to work? The situation is slightly different in that you are using a NAS rather than coercing another Humax.

I had not figured on setting up a nas drive to access [My Video] directory, but is it done in a similar way to your usb way, I guess somewhere on here is a how to guide? But where?

Thanks for the reminder, I will edit that into the list. Mind you, if you let it get down to less than a gigabyte you are sailing pretty close to the wind!

Also, I take it you had no problem with needing to fit a USB stick/drive in order to get your folder-style share to work? The situation is slightly different in that you are using a NAS rather than coercing another Humax.

Sorry, I meant 850GB free not 850MB !

Had no problems with the USB stick method. Just had to change the paths from previously mounting it under My Video and all OK.

I had not figured on setting up a nas drive to access [My Video] directory, but is it done in a similar way to your usb way, I guess somewhere on here is a how to guide? But where?

This is only a case of adding another item in [ModSettings]/smb (or nfs) to enter the access details for the NAS mount.

The main reason for the problem was that some users including myself found that when mounted under Media/My Video, it would cause the HDR to lock up all the time The fix was to mount it directly in Media

This is why the 'shareFolder=off' was introduced to the Mod Settings, so that there was a choice if anyone had problems

The main reason for the problem was that some users including myself found that when mounted under Media/My Video, it would cause the HDR to lock up all the time The fix was to mount it directly in Media

This is why the 'shareFolder=off' was introduced to the Mod Settings, so that there was a choice if anyone had problems

Now ntm1275, that explains alot, thanx for that bit of info

Hello, i've just been given a HD FOX T2 an d I'm trying to set up the network share automount without much success.
I have updated the firmware to 1.02.27 and have connected a usb hdd this works great, i am able to record to it.
my problem is i cannot connect to a XP machine on the network even though i have created a folder in SMB and filled in the config file.
When i select Network, instead of the XP machine, i get my wifes laptop which is running windows 7 home and isnt even mentioned in SMB
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
percy

Thanks for suggesting that Black Hole, i've checked, and it is ok.
I've had a play around with it this morning, and where I think I've gone wrong is expecting the hdd's I have shared to show up in networking on the hummy, this is not the case, nothing shows up except the laptop (when its on). So I created a new folder on the XP machine and have shared that, this now shows up under usb on the hummy, and i can add files and create folders in it. The problem i have now is getting hummy to play tv recordings made with a Nebula digi tv card, it doesn't like program stream recordings so i pass the files through MPEG Streamclip and covert to transport stream these play ok

I'm trying to mount my NAS folder share (Video). I've configured it as follows but there's no option for username or password, do I just create the appropriate folders and add the username and password or not?

Any help would be much appreciated?

Thanks

Jon

media /My Video /[ModSettings] /nfs /TV (24.0KiB)
[parent directory]
folder=_Video (4.0KiB)
host=192_168_1_200 (4.0KiB)
mac=ABABABABABAB (only needed for wakeUp) (4.0KiB)
shareFolder=off (4.0KiB)
wakeUp=off (4.0KiB)

I've now found the log and its saying

192.168.1.200 is on-line - attempting to mount
mount -o soft 192.168.1.200://Video /media/Video
mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
Mount failed...
umount: can't forcibly umount /media/Video: Invalid argument

Just discovered a great feature of the network-shares. I was watching a program on my HD, I didn't have time to finish watching it so I stopped the playback. Next day I thought I would finish watching the program on my HDR and I was very pleasantly surprised to see Resume Play as an option on the HDR. :)

I've now found the log and its saying

I have a NAS and have never managed to connect it using nfs. It mounts fine using smb though.
My settings:

domain=notrequired (it works without using a domain name)
folder=video
host=”NAS IP address” (input your own NAS address)
mac=(leave as is)
password=password
sharefolder=off
user=user
wakeup=off
Although I need a username and password to access the settings of the NAS via a web interface, they are not required to mount it via the Humax.
You’ll need to have a USB device connected to the Humax and access the share via Media – Blue button – USB (using the remote).

Just discovered a great feature of the network-shares. I was watching a program on my HD, I didn't have time to finish watching it so I stopped the playback. Next day I thought I would finish watching the program on my HDR and I was very pleasantly surprised to see Resume Play as an option on the HDR. :)
Absolutely. The HD plays it as if local, so the .nfs sidecar file gets updated with the resume point and is available whether continued on the HD or HDR.

I'm struggling to get auto-mount to work, so I've tried it from command prompt on the HD and get this :

mkdir /media/gary
humaxhd1# mount -t cifs //humaxhdr/media /media/gary
mount: mounting \\67.215.65.132\media on /media/gary failed: Invalid argument
Any ideas?

I have //humaxhdr/media mapped on my pc and can access it from there.

Also I cannot get the HD to take a change to it's hostname. It says
humaxhd1# hostname
humaxhd1

but ....
ping humaxhd1 doesn't work. From another box.

Interestingly if I ping ANYTHING from the HD I get this :

humaxhd1# ping humdsdsdssdfddffd
PING humdsdsdssdfddffd (67.215.65.132): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 67.215.65.132: seq=0 ttl=56 time=32.755 ms
64 bytes from 67.215.65.132: seq=1 ttl=56 time=33.162 ms

Back