[network-shares-automount] package released

I
Interestingly if I ping ANYTHING from the HD I get this :
humaxhd1# ping humdsdsdssdfddffd
PING humdsdsdssdfddffd (67.215.65.132): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 67.215.65.132: seq=0 ttl=56 time=32.755 ms
64 bytes from 67.215.65.132: seq=1 ttl=56 time=33.162 ms

67.215.65.132 = hit-nxdomain.opendns.com e.g. 67.215.66.132 is an OpenDNS "Not Available" redirector. In a nutshell the 'ANYTHING' was not understood

What does? Ping??

On your HDR-FOX do Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN and see what it says its IP address is. It will normally be 192.168.###.###. Try pinging that from the HD-FOX.

What does? Ping??

On your HDR-FOX do Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN and see what it says its IP address is. It will normally be 192.168.###.###. Try pinging that from the HD-FOX.

The HDR is 192.168.1.18

From the HD....

PING 192.168.1.18 (192.168.1.18): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.18: seq=0 ttl=64 time=1.455 ms

humaxhd1# mount -t cifs //192.168.1.18/media /media/gary
mount: mounting \\192.168.1.18\mediaon /media/gary failed: Invalid argument
Also as command prompt shows, the HD thinks it is humaxhd1, but ping humaxhd1 from windows doesn't work - nor does using the webif with that name (both do using the IP for the HD)

The Telnet command prompt is nothing to do with a host name you can ping, it is only an ASCII string that the remote end sends and gets displayed on the terminal emulation. Host names have to be set up in a hosts file on the PC and be translated into an IP address on the way out. The remote end recognises an IP address, nothing else.

I don't understand your other problems though.

Not necessarily. Using the automount package the user has to set up the IP address, so I am sure you have to do that for the manual method as well. I have had a quick re-read of this topic from post #185 but don't immediately understand the manual mount, you might like to do the same.

Why not go back to automount? It means the mount will be ready each time you boot, and keeps looking for the remote end until it is available. You need the automount package on the HD and the samba package on the HDR (not automount). Details summarised in post #244.

hello its me again!!

been reading this thread with great interest, this is a giant leap forward yet again, however, as expected i cant get it to work!!

have got as far as getting the two folders and have attempted to rename one of them, without seeing anything from my pc in them

should i leave the first word and the '=' just adding my details after them, or input my details over the top?

i have a pc so guess i can ignore the mac bit, is it safe to delete that line?

the bit about \ and . appearing as _, i typed the actual characters in and the humax has converted them into _'s, should i have actually typed each one as _?

do i need to put \\ in front of my IP address?

my video folder on pc is 'my music', is the space crucial, should i rename on pc?

is the password for my pc or for the hummy?

i have an external HDD permanently plugged into rear USB

why are idiot proof instructions NEVER basic enough for me to understand??!!

Have you set up sharing (on the PC) for the PC folder?
have got as far as getting the two folders and have attempted to rename one of them, without seeing anything from my pc in them

When mounted, the shared PC folder will appear as if it is another USB drive (presuming you leave the folder option "=off"), available at the root level on the media browser.
should i leave the first word and the '=' just adding my details after them, or input my details over the top?

Keep everything before the "=", just change the bit after the "=" to your requirements.
i have a pc so guess i can ignore the mac bit, is it safe to delete that line?

You can ignore that line, it's nothing to do with Apple though. MAC stands for Media ACcess Address, and is the means by which a remote device in standby can be woken up from the network (if it has that capability). By leaving the wakeUp option as "off" you can ignore the MAC entry.
the bit about \ and . appearing as _, i typed the actual characters in and the humax has converted them into _'s, should i have actually typed each one as _?

Yes you need to use "_".
do i need to put \\ in front of my IP address?

No. You are informing the automount package the IP address to go to for the share.
my video folder on pc is 'my music', is the space crucial, should i rename on pc?

Yes the space is crucial, and I don't know what to do about it.
is the password for my pc or for the hummy?

It's the password you need to access your PC on the network. Your domain name and user will need to be correct too.
i have an external HDD permanently plugged into rear USB

Good. That will help.

thanks black hole, i already stream stuff from my PC thru the hummy via the usual methods using homeplug, so i assume that means that its already set to share?

i'll have another go later or tomor as i'm off on leave this week, bloody gardening getting in the way of sorting this out tho!!

not sure what a workgroup is, guess i'll google that?

Not necessarily - at the moment you will be accessing it through a DLNA server, which is a different mechanism from network sharing. If you look at the properties (Windows Explorer) you will find an option to share the folder.

Domain: if it's the default Windows one I think it will be WORKGROUP (might be different in different versions of Windows). Windows folder sharing only works between machines with the same domain setting, not just on the same network.

windows 7 home premium for me, but i use firefox, can i still use properties thru windows explorer?

also tversity for my streaming needs

I said Windows Explorer not Microsoft Internet Exporer. The thing you browse files with.

OK, so Tversity is your DLNA server. Look it up in the Glossary.

So I'm stuck then? I cannot map the HDR drive to the HD

humaxhd1# mount -t cifs //192.168.1.18/media /media/gary
mount: mounting \\192.168.1.18\mediaon /media/gary failed: Invalid argument
I think it needs the username parameter specifying even though the user is ignored by the samba server, e.g. something like:

Code:
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.18/media /media/gary -o username=abc
where abc can be anything you like.

Part of the problem is that the mount command gives "invalid argument" as its default error message. If you still have problems, have a look at /tmp/log.smbd on the server.

However, you may well be better off using the automount method since the manual method will not survive a reboot. The automatic method just runs the above command on startup anyway.

I was going to use this package to view the HDR via the HD.
From what I read the HDR files have to be decrypted to be able to be seen. I could use the unencrypt package to do this but the package notes suggest it only works between 1-6am because of CPU overloading. If this is true then you couldn't view any newly created files on the HDR via the HD until the following morning?
Unless you decrypted them manually?
Thanks.

There is no problem with loading, that was just a precautionary measure. See notes in post #244. With my set-up (unencrypt running every 5 minutes 24/7) a new recording is available shortly after it is completed - it needs time to be indexed and unprotected (if HiDef), then a few more to be decrypted.

It will be listed on the HD-FOX's mount whether it's been decrypted or not - it just won't play ("this channel is scrambled").

tried again, do i have to put c: in at the start, at present i havent, just matilda_users_my music, there are sub folders after this, do i need to go deeper?
think its called HOMEGROUP on windows 7,
so its just the password etc that i use when i reboot the pc?

so far the new folder has appeared in the USB section but its empty
also if i switch unit off it will not come back on and needs to be switched off and on with the rear switch

I'm out of my comfort zone. Best not lead you up any more garden paths - somebody else take up the baton?

cheers again for your advice, anyone else complete the sterling work black hole has tried please??

i think i'm gonna remove it completely again as having to switch off unit each time is a pain

Back