[network-shares-automount] package released

That short name looks like a DOS 8.3 proxy. Only guessing but I reckon there is something wrong with your Samba installation - unless you used NFS? Then you have to set up the corresponding section of auto-mount.

My HD's USB list shows the local stick + "HDR-FOX" (my mount name). Then under HDR-FOX there are My Video, My Music, My Photo, and my two external drives at the HDR end. Everything then shows up under those exactly as expected. Refer to post #244 for what I did to set that up.

That short name looks like a DOS 8.3 proxy. Only guessing but I reckon there is something wrong with your Samba installation - unless you used NFS? Then you have to set up the corresponding section of auto-mount.

I'll confirm it later, but AFAICR my HD's USB list shows the local stick + "HDR-FOX" (my mount name). Then under HDR-FOX there are My Video, Music, Photo, and my two external drives at the HDR end. Everything then shows up under those exactly as expected.

Thanks. I used smb to set the mount. I will try removing Samba and re-installing. See how that goes. Can't do anything tonight as i'm in a tent in the back garden with my 4 year old!

Resume points only work with the Humax TS files (stored on and served by the Humax), using one of the sidecar files to save the info.

Resume should also work on other file types too (certainly works for me with mp4s), a [filename].hmi file is created (in the same directory) which stores it. It could be that the share is set up as read only (at the PC end), in which case it can't create the file, and doesn't work.

A sidecar file would be created on a non-Humax network share? Yes I suppose it would - being a virtual local drive.

I tried re-installing Samba but that had no affect.
Then I noticed something - when viewing the HDR via Network on the laptop, a recording which was in-flight had the full naming convention (all the other files have the dos naming convention).
I use Flatten and my own version of Dedup, so maybe it's something to do with that (more than likely the latter!). I've removed them from my startup and crontab, so we'll see how the recordings get created from now on.

I think i've found the problem, and obviously it was all my own doing!
In my own Dedupforflatten I was changing the media list and file name to 'program: episode', but : seems to be a restricted character.
I have renamed the files and I can now see and play the files via the mount.
Just need to fully check Dedupforflatten out to ensure it's creating the correct file name format.
Thanks for everyones help.

Hi everyone. First post, so I'd like to thank everyone for all their great work making my Humax work far better than nature intended.

I have an HD with a 2gb EXT2 flash drive with a latest cf and new webif install. I've got my network share mounted and viewable as a usb drive, no problem there. But I was really hoping that I'd be able to record to the share. I've not seen anyone referring to this since page 1, which was at the time a hope, not a test. Is it possible? Is there something I'm missing? I've tried selecting the share mount from settings - system - data storage. The only storage available is the 2gb usb flash drive (reported as 3.7gb?!) and all other options are greyed out. Or was I just being too hopeful for my little humax?

Being too hopeful I'm afraid, can't do it. The HD-FOX needs to be configured in the settings to record, and those settings are greyed out until there is a proper HDD attached.

Just to avoid any ambiguity. Is it the case that it is currently impossible under any circumstances to record directly to a network share. Either with HD or HDR, or with a proper usb hard drive attached? I have tried on my HDR, and that does the same as the HD, greys out when usb is selected on data storage. So I assume the HD will still not be able to network record even with a proper hdd attached by usb.
Thanks, Bogg

No, it will not network record unless we can find a way to fool it that it is a properly configured USB drive. When you connect a drive to configure, it has to be formatted appropriately before the Humax will accept it as recordable.

The HDR has no option to record to USB anyway.

I believe people have had some success recording to a network share that is mounted as part of the My Video directory structure. That can also lead to its own problems as things like the DLNA server will scan into the network share.

On the HD model, you'd first need to set up recording to a USB disk that's big enough, then mount the file store on top of that. It should be possible in theory.

I guess that would count as finding a way to fool it!

However, I believe the objective is to record across the network without having to install a real drive (and once you have a real drive there would be no point). Any recordings made to a remote share would be encrypted and useless in any case, only playable on the original HD-FOX.

I presume the success using an HDR-FOX to record to a My Video mounted share was only a proof of concept, with little or no practical utility.

My reason is actually to remove the noise of the external hdd my server in the loft. I've been using a 1tb usb drive for about 2 years, and it's always been a bit noisy. I saw this thread and hoped i could attach the usb drive to the server, and carry on as if it was still just plugged in over usb.
So the network drive I have mounted is the usb drive that's already been formatted by the HD and has loads of recordings on already. I know I won't be able to watch them back on my HDR until they've been opt+, but that's the same as they are now right? It's very rare I want to watch something on the HDR that's been recorded on the HD. But my main reason to try was to remove the noise.
I have tried with share both on and off on the HD. But not with a usb hdd attached.
Just remembered I've got a spare 250gb usb hdd ! Will stick that in and see what happens tomorrow.

Just been setting this up myself.

Only problem is its mapped the drive to /Media/Nas and cannot see a way to select it from the Humax. Only options I have is Video Music and Pictures.

Thanks

If this is on a HDR, it sounds like the small problem that you have to have a usb memory stick / HD in one of the ports to make the usb option available, where you should then see the "NAS" mount as well.

Only problem is its mapped the drive to /Media/Nas and cannot see a way to select it from the Humax. Only options I have is Video Music and Pictures.

It would help if you listed your settings. Do you have sharefolder=off? If so you definitely need a real USB drive/stick plugged in, and you will need to use the blue "storage" button to select the share as a virtual USB drive.

Back