[network-shares-automount] package released

True. Though the FoxSat may still have a newer version depending on what is in it's custom firmware smb package (assuming that's less than 5 years old). If you haven't already tried, it would be worth setting up a bog standard smb share on a PC and seeing if that works. Also can you can see the shared drive on the Foxsat from a PC?

Good thinking there. The samba version on foxsat is 2.2.12.1. I'm assuming that is what you mean by samba version 2. Do you plan to update the mount on T2 to work with this version 2?
And yes I can see the foxsat drive. see post 576 picture

"Foxsat-HDR" and "HDR-FOX" would be a lot clearer, "T2" doesn't distinguish between HD- and HDR-FOX, and is not often used on hummy.tv (even if elsewhere).
. Maybe not, but "T2" is a lot more specific than "the hummy", and if clarity is so important to you then you should stop using obscure abbreviations yourself.
"UPD" is not often used on hummy.tv either, but you still insist on using it here. Just because you favour a particular acronym or initialism, and put it in your glossary does not mean that it is any more understood by readers, especially those who do not regularly visit this forum.

Have just tried mounting the samba share "Media" defined on my Foxsat HDR onto my HDR Fox T2 using the network-shares-automount package. As you will see from the attached screenshots from Filezilla, I was able to successfully mount this share on the T2 using the configuration as shown in the screenshots. I think maybe you got the share name wrong. From the pic you posted earlier in #576, you have used folder name 'media' instead of share name 'Media'. Hope this helps.
share2.jpgshare1.jpg

It just won't work. used exactly the settings you said. Don't be fooled by NAS, it's the foxsat ip I used.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 13
Just to give more info. The T2 does see the NAS's dlna server on the network but on some files when you try to play them it just disconnects(main reason I want the mount). On some other files it just plays them fine and yet others have a format not supported.

It's just that this mount does not work, I'm at wits end.

Still don't understand why you can't mount the Foxsat either. I've already proved it's possible and nothing to do with samba versions by doing the same thing on my system. Is the workgroup on your PC set to WORKGROUP and does this correspond with the entry in /mod/etc/smb.conf ?

The samba version on foxsat is 2.2.12.1. I'm assuming that is what you mean by samba version 2. Do you plan to update the mount on T2 to work with this version 2?
This is the same as the version on the HD/HDR. I think it was version 3.5 that support for the SMB2 protocol was added. A while back af123 tried to get later a version working to support SMB2 but it was too unstable if I remember rightly.

But that isn't the issue here, as the foxsat wouldn't support smb2 either... Have you tried connecting to a plain windows share, just to rule out any foxsat / NAS complications? If that doesn't work, I can only think that something has gone wrong with the installation.

Could it be because i'm not on 1.03 firmware?

Don't think so - I'm not on 1.03 and its working fine for me, both connecting to windowsXP, and Mac (with Samba installed instead of Apple's smb2 only offering!)

Have you tried connecting to a plain windows share, just to rule out any foxsat / NAS complications? If that doesn't work, I can only think that something has gone wrong with the installation.
Have tried to connect to my d drive which is shared, did not mount. How do I uninstall this, please mention any reboots /settings, does the media share be on on the T2, etc

Its probably worth clarifying the packages involved here:

cifs
This is the key package doing the bulk of the work and provides the mount -cifs... functionality.

samba
Provides smb shared folders from the humax. Having talked about it above, I don't think it can be directly involved in this case. It provides shared folders rather than connecting to external ones (eg it is providing the share from the foxsat).

network-shares-automount
This (my part!) is simply a script that allows setup without mounting directly from the command line, and periodically pings the external devices and mounts / unmounts when they are available/go offline.

I'd uninstall network-shares-automount first, then cifs, and maybe samba.
Don't worry if the settings folder gets left behind, I'm pretty sure it leaves it. Just delete it if you want.

May be also worth uninstalling zeroconf which I think handles name->ip resolution for cifs, but I don't think thats at fault as you're using ip addresses anyway.

Would you believe it? Thank you for mentioning zeroconfig. When I started uninstalling the packages I got to zero and realised I did not have it. Installed everything back then zeroconfig and hey presto, it works. I don't recall seeing anywhere that zeroconfig was required. Thanks again.

zeroconfig is not required, and I don't have it installed - in fact I found it didn't do for me what it is supposed to do. It seems to be correcting some defect in mihaid's network though.

I was wondering if Mihaid tried mounting the NAS after uninstalling and reinstalling cifs, samba and network shares automount but before installing zeroconfig? Zeroconfig could be a red herring.

I was wondering if Mihaid tried mounting the NAS after uninstalling and reinstalling cifs, samba and network shares automount but before installing zeroconfig? Zeroconfig could be a red herring.
I agree. I reckon adding zeroconfig was purely coincidental to the real fix which was the reinstall of the other packages.

Back