[network-shares-automount] package released

got a new samsung smart tv, so plugged ethernet into that for a while to test its capabilities, and now when i've plugged it back into the hummy the folder has vanished again, will i have to go thru all the installation again, the mod files are still in their folder but the recordings have vanished, dont think i changed any other settings while was testing the tv?

Because you have not configured a fixed IP address for the Humax! Presuming you have DHCP set, it negotiates an IP address allocated by the router each time the Ethernet comes up. The router probably responds with the same IP each time as long as it isn't disturbed, but you then gave it a new device to accommodate and on the same port to boot.

You can go into your Humax IP address settings and change it to manual, thus fixing the IP address from the Humax end, but then you should go around all your networked devices and make sure they are all set up so as not to conflict. Personally I prefer to handle all that at the router end: fire up the control panel and find the device allocations (you can give them names rather than rely on MAC addresses all the time), set them to what you want and "never expire". That way the devices can negotiate by DHCP but always be allocated the same IP address each time.

There won't be a conflict between DHCP and manually allocated IP address's on the Router as long as you stick to the Router rules in it's set-up e.g. IPs 1-24 are used exclusively for DHCP and IPs 25 to 254 are only ever allocated manually, so in this case you would manually allocate an IP between 25 and 254

Does that not depend which router is in use? For example, mine allocates 60+ by DHCP. Besides, I save myself the bother of deciding by taking what has been allocated previously and just stopping it being deallocated.

I illustrate the way I have solved the problems, not to say that is the only way or the best way, but it is a way if you don't know a better one.

Does that not depend which router is in use? For example, mine allocates 60+ by DHCP

Yes, that's where the ' stick to the Router rules' comes in, Its usually changeable anyway. In your case you would manually allocate an IP below 60. The point is there is a DHCP group and a Manual group

As promised I've (eventually) got round to releasing the script discussed here as a package. Hopefully does what it says on the tin which is:

"Automatic mounting of remote nfs or smb directories, with configuration on the box, using special "settings" directorys to add and configure shares. Remote host(s) are "pinged" regularly, and shares are mounting / unmounting automatically with host availability."

Once installed you should get a directory called "[Modsettings]" on the drive root (HD) or in "My Videos" (HDR), and within that, you should find folders for smb and nfs share setups, with some hopefully self explainable instructions. Once you create a new share directory, within a few seconds it should be auto populated with template settings within.

Future enhancements will hopefully be easier configuration from webif (though as it is configured using folder names, these can be set up either on the box or in the webif media browser). I'd also like to add a Wake-up-on LAN trigger so remote hosts can be woken up from the box.

Beginners guide:

Folders on a computer or NAS box can be shared with other devices on the same network. On the humax box with custom firmware we can add support for two protocols - smb (used by Windows, pre-Lion OsX, linux running Samba), and nfs (Linux, OsX, common with NAS boxes). smb support is provided by the cifs package. We can "mount" the remote shared folder(s) so they appear as if they were part of the local file system on the Humax.

The advantages to this, over using DLNA are:

More formats supported.
rw/FF/seek supported.
Resume point saved.
No need to run / configure DLNA server software on the host.
Remote files can be deleted, moved, renamed from using the remote control.
Recordings can be copied between the box and host using the remote, with decryption on the fly occuring on the HDR (or HD running HDRmode).
No 4gig limit.

The downsides that this package attempts to address are:

Fiddly to set up, requiring running "mount" commands at the telnet prompt, and /or setting up startup scripts to mount the shared folder.
If using startup script, need to reboot the humax if the remote host wasn't switched on at boot time.
If the remote host is switched off / goes to sleep, the humax cam become unresponsive.

This packages uses directory names in the "[Modsettings]/smb" and/or "[Modsettings]/nfs" folders to configure as many shares as you like. For example to set up a new smb share, use the opt+ button to create a new directory within the smb folder. Name it what you want the mount to be called (eg "MyPc") Wait about 10 seconds, and navigate into the new folder. The script should have created a load of template "configuration directories" for you to rename (host IP address, foldername, user, password etc). Note that the "_" symbol is used instead of "." in IP names and "/" in folder names as these can't be input (or if they can I think the box changes them to a "_")

Once configured, the script will regularly ping the host computer to see if it is available. If it is then the shared folder will be mounted and should be browsable. If the host goes offline, the folder will be unmounted, preventing the box from locking up.

*WARNING* Deleting share folder(s) will recursively delete the contents on the remote host. If you want to avoid this risk, make sure the share is set up to be read only!

Minor modification to Drutt's script:

I've been reading this blog through from its start and a few weeks ago I took the plunge and installed the network-shares-automount package version: 1.3. The installation worked first time. To play my archived videos all that I now have to do is to boot up my desktop and on the Humax use the remote to navigate to the [Shares].. folder in the Media-Video directory. Fantastic! Thank you Drutt for this great addition to the custom software.

But I also wanted to view automounted photo and music archives. I couldn't find any steer in the blog as to how to do that (did I miss something?) so I've modified Drutt's "scanmounts" script slightly to make it happen on my box (HDR-Fox T2 running version: 1.02.20 with custom firmware version: 1.14.) until Drutt adds the capability (or tells us how to do it - apologies if he already did!). I also addressed a few problems with unmounting.

The mod works well for me and if Drutt gives the OK I'll post a patch file with some notes.

I posted earlier in this thread as I was having difficulties , but got it all working now thanks to the replies.

I have another question though. Currently I've mounted the "media" directory from the HDR to the HD. This is a little bit of a pain as I have to navigate to "My Videos" each time.

I'd like to mount /media/My Videos instead, but when I've tried this it doesn't seem to work (guessing it's the space). I tried escaping the space but that doesn't work either. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to mount My Videos directly - so does anyone know how to do it?

Same here, I have to select HDR-FOX (my mount name) and then My Video. To change that would be something at the Samba end, not the auto-mount package (but I don't want to because my external drives also appear at the same listing level).

Sorry Black Hole I don't get that, surely if we can mount /media we should be able to mount /media/My Videos instead it's just a case of knowing what syntax to use?

Perhaps I didn't understand what you meant. Did you mean mount the remote Humax in My Video within the HD-FOX media browser? If that is the case you need the shareFolder=on option.

On the HD, I have a directory called HUMAX which maps to /media on the HDR. I would like this HUMAX directory to map to /media/My Video instead.

OK, so you already have shareFolder=on then (less dangerous on the HD-FOX with no DLNA indexer than an HDR-FOX). I'm happy with shareFolder=off because I don't have any local recordings.

Just a stab in the dark, how about enclosing the folder parameter in quotes, either '/media/My Video' or "/media/My Video".

I've tried using "media", 'media' and `media`. None of them work and the last 2 cause the box to hang on restart....

Thanks for this package,black hole pointed me to it, allows me to transfer files from humax to my email playbook :) posted a thread about it

I've just uploaded a new version (1.4) of the network-shares-automount package with a few changes to the way the wake on lan functionality works.

It now uses ether-wake, as well as the pervious wake up on lan python script (as turns out ether-wake doesn't wake up my Mac, whereas some systems seem to work only with ether-wake).

In fact I've make it fire off a separate script called wakecmd in mod/sbin, so people can put what they like in there - by default if fires off ether-wake and the WOL script 5 times (to be sure the box is awake in time for the mount attempt).

I've also changed the way it triggers slightly - instead of "wakeup=off/on" we now just have "wakeNow?", as its quicker to just delete the question mark with the remote to activate it. This will fire wakecmd once, then reset itself.

There is also a new trigger called "wakeConstantly?". If this is set (again by removing the "?") the wake up script will be run every few seconds. This trigger will not be reset until reboot.

I updated to 1.4 last night, haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
However (it may be just a coincidence) the box crashed 3 times last night and already twice this evening (love the front panel message... "CRASH - wait", which I have never noticed before). It has been some time since it has crashed and the only thing that changed before the crashes started was installing 1.4. I have done nothing explicit to access the network, so I would not have expected a wake to be triggered. Are there any operations in the background that might expalain these crashes?

Back