New house no channels since move

Bettz36

Hi all hoping somebody can help parents have just moved into a bungalow and my dad can't get the humax box to work.

It was working fine at the old address.

I've tried doing a automatic search but it's constantly saying the postcodes incorrect I've tried 3 different ones.

On occasion it does try to search and all of a sudden the quality & strength shoot up to 80% for a few seconds then go back to 0

Checked the two cables which go into the box and there fine.

I've also done a manual scan and it picks up about 70 channels but no bbc, itv etc all random news channels, shopping etc.

When doing a manual scan transponder labelled 11428 H comes up with no signal.

Not sure if the sky dish works tbh

Any advice?

IMG-20201012-191833.jpg

Last edited:
Sky dish? I'm not a satellite user, but I seem to remember reading that Sky use a different standard for the LNB. The Foxsat is not a Sky box, it's a Freesat box.

If by "sky dish" you actually meant "dish", and you're not sure it works, that seems the obvious place to start. If you can do it yourself, then do it. If you can't, you'll have to get somebody in.

Sky dish? I'm not a satellite user, but I seem to remember reading that Sky use a different standard for the LNB. The Foxsat is not a Sky box, it's a Freesat box.

If by "sky dish" you actually meant "dish", and you're not sure it works, that seems the obvious place to start. If you can do it yourself, then do it. If you can't, you'll have to get somebody in.
I mentioned the dish as its all the humax was hooked up to in there old house as they didn't have an aerial.

It all looks ok and the property is only 3 years old the TV aerial works fine.

Was considering a factory reset but dad doesn't want to lose the stuff he's saved on the hdd

Checked the two cables which go into the box and there fine.
What does that mean? Checked how? Fine in what respect?
I've also done a manual scan and it picks up about 70 channels but no bbc, itv etc all random news channels, shopping etc.
That doesn't seem like very many.
I would suggest you concentrate your attention on that, rather than futzing about with the receiver.
If you don't know that it's aligned correctly, then you need to get that done. I'm not convinced it's receiving signals from all four quadrants from the LNB. You may have one, or more, missing.

I'm not convinced it's receiving signals from all four quadrants from the LNB. You may have one, or more, missing.
I have a hunch that would be the case if you connect a standard STB to a Sky LNB, but I could be wrong.

The OP's parents have "just moved" into a new residence with (presumably) an existing satellite dish of unknown specification. Is it any surprise it doesn't seem to work on Freesat if it is a Sky dish?

As the property is fairly new, my guess would be that the dish has the Sky Q wideband LNB which is unsuitable for most other sat boxes. A low total number of programmes, but with UK based ones leads me this thinking.
How many sockets are there on the LNB (not just cables, but sockets). If only two, it's 95% a SkyQ wideband.

Do NOT start screwing around with the dish alignment as suggested above until you are 100% sure that you have the correct LNB.

If it does not accept your postcode, then put one in for a long established nearby place. The postcode is only required so that the box can give you the correct 'local' programmes. The main problem is, if the box cannot detect the Freesat 'Home' transponder, which IIRC is the one displayed above (11428H) and recognises your postcode, it goes no further. But you have zero strength on the Home transponder so it won't 'go further'.

Having banged on about that, I'm still thinking the Sky Q LNB is what's screwing you.

I have a hunch that would be the case if you connect a standard STB to a Sky LNB, but I could be wrong.
The OP's parents have "just moved" into a new residence with (presumably) an existing satellite dish of unknown specification. Is it any surprise it doesn't seem to work on Freesat if it is a Sky dish?
It's nothing to do with the actual dish (I have a 'Sky' dish receiving Freesat, so do thousands of others.)
The problem is with the LNB. SkyQ uses a wideband (WB) LNB which is not compatible with most other boxes. An exception is the only (currently) Freesat Arris box has been designed to work with a WB LNB.
One cable has the full bandwidth Horizontal polarisation and the other has the full bandwidth of vertically polarised signals.

Thanks for the replys just waiting on my dad to send a few pics which I'll post I'm sure the sky dish only had 2 connections as I remember lifting the shield bit up.

The sky dish at our old house that worked fine was at least 15 years old so no sky q.

I did try 3 different postcodes but it doesn't accept either.

You need to get that Home transponder working before you can go further with a Freesat tune.

Here we go model number ELO21

Is it just a case of changing the LNB bit at the front?
IMG-20201013-WA0002.jpgIMG-20201013-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. That's the problem. It's a wideband LNB supplied by Sky for SkyQ.
You need a 'standard' LNB like THIS
Easy to swap if access to the dish is easy.
Change the LNB and it will spring into life as if by magic.

Back