New Humax boxes - 'freetime'

It looks like Humax have been allowed to build a new Freesat product without having to stick to a YouView type spec. Time Will Tell

I have to say that it does 'look good on paper'. As Ezra said, only time will tell. I wonder what the full spec will be? Twin tuner (or satellite equivalent) I would hope.

As I don't currently have a satellite service, this is all new to me.

Hmmm interesting - I have been considering whether to add a FreeSat box as the previous owners left a dish behind but I never bothered to make use of it. I liked the idea that YouView was trying to fulfil but not the limitations that have transpired. New toy perhaps? (You just can't beat the smell of fresh electronic kit out of the box heralding the arrival of a new bit of cool kit to play with - or is that just me??:eek: )

No, it's not just you! I'm even contemplating getting a WiFi room
thermostat for my central heating. Don't really need one, but just getting
bored as everything else is working and I need my technology fix!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I have to say that it does 'look good on paper'. As Ezra said, only time will tell. I woulnder wat the full spec will be? Twin tuner (or satellite equivalent) I would hope.

As I don't currently have a satellite service, this is all new to me.

Twin tuner of course (Freesat+ spec), vod similar to Youview.

Thank you for that, Graham. It does sound very tempting. I think I will let the dust settle on it first though. I usually tend to jump in feet first and have regretted doing so on more than one occasion.

Thank you also for quoting me. I didn't realise is had made those typo's! :oops:

. I think I will let the dust settle on it first though. I usually tend to jump in feet first and have regretted doing so on more than one occasion.

Sounds very sensible, you won't get much in the way of feedback from owners till next month. Chances are that with it being a Humax unit with Humax firmware it's likely to be a much better pvr than the Youview box (Humax DTR-T1000).

Sounds very sensible, you won't get much in the way of feedback from owners till next month. Chances are that with it being a Humax unit with Humax firmware it's likely to be a much better pvr than the Youview box (Humax DTR-T1000).
Hopefully we'll see some feedback here or a pluses and minuses list as in T1000. I do have the current Humax freesat+ box and am quite pleased with it. Much more space for expansion in channels than freeview. This summer there were introduced 24HD channels just like that, from my POV. Here's hoping for film4HD. The only thing I hate is having to change inputs on my telly between the T2 and this, there's laziness for you.
Hopefully it won't be anywhere close/as bad as T1000 in terms of features.

well i got my new freetime box today had a bit of a play and so far it seems really good as i play more i will keep you all updated.

I got my new freetime box yesterday and i must say i am quite impressed, its much different to my Hummy HDR, there is only 1 niggle but not sure if theres a solution.... when playing back a recorded programme, the programme title scrolls along the display, is there any way to stop it scrolling as can be quite annoying....

I know but my question is how it, the freetime box, deals with those things.

You don't want much do you :)

Are my recording saved if I reset the Unit Yes
Is there an Edit Channels option = Yes Delete and Customise Regional Channels (BBC Only)
Can we set up Favourites = Yes
Is there a Manual Tuning option = Yes
Padding of timers = Yes
Manual schedule times = Yes
Edit schedule timers = No
Extend instant Record time = No - records from start of programme if in buffer to end of programme
EPG Programme searches = Yes
USB file Export = Not currently
USB Media playback = Yes and currently works as DNLA client. DNLA server to follow
WiFi Available = Using Wifi Dongle (same as HDR FOX T2)
Can I skip adverts = yes
Can I select multiple recordings to delete = No
Is there a folders option = yes
Can I record on demand content = No
Power up time = 35 seconds from low power sby
Power Down time = instant
Quick power up =not applicable
OTA Software updates = yes
Resolution change options = yes
Aspect ratio change options = 16:9 4:3
Screen Saver = No
Can I use alternate Remote codes = yes (afaik the Youview is the same - incorrect in original post)
Is a CAM slot available = yes
Do Vision / Connect channels work = Not applicable
Can you skip forward / backwards = yes (programmeable)
Is slow motion available = Not afaik
FTP Server Available = No
DLNA Server / Client Available = Client now/Server later
Are Tuner conflict alternatives supplied = Don't know - not set one yet
IPTV HDD buffer (for slow broadband) = Don't know I have 20Mbps
Is multi-channel sound transcoded to DD 5.1 = Not applicable Freesat uses ac3.

You don't want much do you :)
Can I select multiple recordings to delete = No

Screen Saver = No

Is slow motion available = Not afaik
Of course I don't want much. ;)
I am surprised that screen saver and slomo are not included since the last foxsat did them.
The multiple deleting will annoy me since it does already now, probably solved later OTA like the background delete on HDR T2.

But it already looks better than the youview unit.
Question (again): does the skip forward / backwards = yes (programmeable) function work on itv player, 5OD etc. Or do you have to sit through their adverts?

Of course I don't want much. ;)
I am surprised that screen saver and slomo are not included since the last foxsat did them.
The multiple deleting will annoy me since it does already now, probably solved later OTA like the background delete on HDR T2.

But it already looks better than the youview unit.
Question (again): does the skip forward / backwards = yes (programmeable) function work on itv player, 5OD etc. Or do you have to sit through their adverts?

Multiple delete NO, Background delete Yes, you can carry on deleting single recordings without waiting. No CH4 or CH5 OD yet (future addition). Going forward in VOD depends on how much content you have buffered. I guess that will be a function of how fast your download speed is related to the stream speed. You clearly can't skip forward if the content isn't already on your box. Jumping beyond already available content requires the box to start streaming from a later point if it's not already on your player. If I remember rightly ITV Player doesn't show the ads anyway.

Back