New LG Smart TV. Audio dropouts via HDMI

philbean

Just got a new LG TV.

When watching Humax recordings & Live TV, I'm getting audio dropouts every 15-25mins. Sound cuts for just less than a second. No soundbar or amp involved.. just Humax connected to TV via HDMI.
If you rewind and play the same section again its fine.. so its not the recording.

On recordings, tried 3 different programmes, 3 different channels. HD & SD. All the same issue. Switched audio on the Humax menu from Multi to Stereo. Same issue.

At first I was thinking the TVs faulty, but connected a laptop via HDMI and my X360.. neither seem to have the problem.

Never had an issue with my old Toshiba TV.

Any ideas? I've googled and found similar problems with people using soundbars connected optically.. but in those cases TV sound via HDMI has been fine.

43UJ750V

Swapped the HDMI to a different socket and unplugged/replugged in the Humax. Been watching for about an hour now and haven't noticed a drop so fingers crossed.
I do more extensive testing tomorrow.

Just got a new LG TV.

When watching Humax recordings & Live TV, I'm getting audio dropouts every 15-25mins. Sound cuts for just less than a second. No soundbar or amp involved.. just Humax connected to TV via HDMI.
If you rewind and play the same section again its fine.. so its not the recording.

On recordings, tried 3 different programmes, 3 different channels. HD & SD. All the same issue. Switched audio on the Humax menu from Multi to Stereo. Same issue.

At first I was thinking the TVs faulty, but connected a laptop via HDMI and my X360.. neither seem to have the problem.

Never had an issue with my old Toshiba TV.

Any ideas? I've googled and found similar problems with people using soundbars connected optically.. but in those cases TV sound via HDMI has been fine.

You are not alone.....

TV:- LG55 OLEDEV6, purchased last April, replacing a Samsung.
I have two HDR Fox T2's, both 1TB
I've tried all the fixes above, new (quality)cables, switching inputs, plus turning the volume down slightly on the Humax's, (I run the volume flat out on the Humax's and control the volume with the TV input). I've tried altering the TV's audio settings. I've tried these:-

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adap...07/hdmi-cec-less-adapter-female-to-male-p7299

All to no avail. Strangely, after disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cables, I found that, for a time, the problem disappeared only to return. The drop outs are completely random. If you rewind the recording, the box plays the missing bit. The drop outs are there if the Humax is used as the source of live TV as well!

I am at a loss what to try next......I've learned to live with it.

However, I've found that by ignoring the 'pop up' which comes on the LG's screen as a prompt to switch to the selected HDMI input, and allowing the Humax to fully boot up before switching the input, the drop outs are reduced considerably.

It looks like an LG TV rather than a Humax problem.

If you can find a permanent fix, please let me know......

Gerry

Last edited:
Regardless of the CEC isolator, are there configuration options on the TV to disable CEC (LG: SimpLink; Sony: Sony Link; Panasonic: Viera Link; etc)?

In my lounge I have an LG Blu-ray player and had an LG TV*, along with a couple of HDR-FOXes and a projector connected through an HDMI active matrix switch. Doing anything with the Blu-ray player (even without the RC handset) annoyingly caused the TV to turn on, even though I was using the projector and the matrix switch was supposedly isolating the TV. The problem went away when the TV was replaced with a Samsung.

I didn't have your reported audio problems with the HDR-FOXes and the LG TV* though, and the same TV is now being run directly from a HD-FOX.

* 32LD690

Last edited:
Regardless of the CEC isolator, are there configuration options on the TV to disable CEC (LG: SimpLink; Sony: Sony Link; Panasonic: Viera Link; etc)?

In my lounge I have an LG Blu-ray player and had an LG TV, along with a couple of HDR-FOXes and a projector connected through an HDMI active matrix switch. Doing anything with the Blu-ray player (even without the RC handset) annoyingly caused the TV to turn on, even though I was using the projector and the matrix switch was supposedly isolating the TV. The problem went away when the TV was replaced with a Samsung.

I didn't have your reported audio problems with the HDR-FOXes and the LG TV though, and the same TV is now being run directly from a HD-FOX.

Like you say, it's called 'Simplink' on LG TV's and there is no option to turn it off completely (that I can find), only the option not to use the LG remote to control other devices. I have that turned off.

Gerry

At work at the mo so no opportunity to further test yet.

I'm praying that a cable swapround will fix it. This is my 2nd TV as the first had physical damage. Thats still sitting in the hall waiting for amazons 4th attempt to collect it. Complete ball-ache.

I don't think I could live with the audio dropouts though. It would have to go back.
Its a brand new release TV so unfortunately not much feedback out there yet about issues. Zilch on AV Forums about that model.

At work at the mo so no opportunity to further test yet.

I'm praying that a cable swapround will fix it. This is my 2nd TV as the first had physical damage. Thats still sitting in the hall waiting for amazons 4th attempt to collect it. Complete ball-ache.

I don't think I could live with the audio dropouts though. It would have to go back.
Its a brand new release TV so unfortunately not much feedback out there yet about issues. Zilch on AV Forums about that model.

My LG55 OLEDEV6 is a 2016 model, purchased instead of a 2017 model because 2017 LG models don't offer 3D as well as 4K.....Judging by yours and my experience so far, a change of make of TV may be only option. Unfortunately, it's a bit late for me to do that.

By switching the TV HDMI input to the Humax after the Humax has fully booted has reduced the drop outs to just one or three per hour of recording, although annoying, it's nowhere near as bad as it has been. How long this respite will last remains to be seen.....

Good luck with Amazon, I have found them to be one of the better online suppliers as far as exchanges go.

Tried a cable change and input change. Still the same problem.
I'm finding its worse when the box/TV is first switched on (3 or 4 dropouts in 30 mins tonight) then gets better over time (1 or 2 per hour).

I'll carry on trying over the weekend but I think it's going back. :(

Just a thought... probably stupid.

All my HDMI cables are HDMI1.3/1.4.
Do you think getting a HDMI2.0 cable would help..?

I have been mean meaning to write a very similar post for a while now :(

I have LG 55uh668v and experience drop outs on recordings and live TV through humax.
No problems on Live TV though the set or on a HDMI connected DVD player that we borrowed
Have tried different HDMI cables and ports on the TV
Never had a single problem with older dumb LG TV
LG support, of course, blame problem on Humax

I havent tried playing with the simplink settings yet

Of course, and Humax will blame LG. The only way to get a manufacturer to take ownership of the problem is if they made both ends.
That was why I borrowed a recent model LG DVD player for testing in the hope that it would show the same problem - but it didn't so problem is looking more likely to be in Humax's interpretation of whatever is coming back along the HDMI cable

That was why I borrowed a recent model LG DVD player for testing in the hope that it would show the same problem - but it didn't so problem is looking more likely to be in Humax's interpretation of whatever is coming back along the HDMI cable
Without putting a 'scope on the lines and having an intimate knowledge of the specifications for HDMI, it's not possible to comment. Clearly there is a difference between LG's and Humax's implementation, but whether either is incorrect by strict application of the spec can't be guessed (it is entirely possible that neither are incorrect, but nonetheless incompatible).

so tried a BluRay player tonight. No problems at all.. so as with the others above it seems to only be the Humax thats causing issues.

If I was to connect the Humax to an amp or soundbar directly via the digital audio... would that solve my problem do you think?
I assume that wouldn't cut the audio on the HDMI automatically? I'd have to turn it down to zero on the TV each time I was viewing the box ??

so tried a BluRay player tonight. No problems at all.. so as with the others above it seems to only be the Humax thats causing issues.

If I was to connect the Humax to an amp or soundbar directly via the digital audio... would that solve my problem do you think?
I assume that wouldn't cut the audio on the HDMI automatically? I'd have to turn it down to zero on the TV each time I was viewing the box ??

Tonight the Humax lost sound altogether. The only way I could get the sound back was to switch the TV back to live TV and to re-boot the Humax.

I have both Humax's and a Bluray player connected to a surround sound amp ( LG!) optically. Over the next few days, I'll run the Humax's exclusively through the amp and let you know the outcome.......The Tv's sound is manually turned to zero when using the amp.

This is beginning to look like an HDMI 'hand shake' problem similar to the problem many had with Humax/Sony TV's a while back .

Gerry

Last edited:
Back