New router over the network issues

Humaxgeek

I have been streaming my recorded content of my Foxsat-HDR to my Fox-HD fairly successfully with the odd occasion of the Foxsat vanishing from the network but having changed broadband provider and a new router I seem to have an issue.

When my PC is switched on my Fox-HD appears to be blocked from accessing the Foxsat from media-blue-network, this can be resolved by either disconnecting my ethernet cable from the back of the PC or unplugging my homeplug that connects to my Foxsat.

If anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this I would be most grateful.

Possibly: a manually set IP address is conflicting with a DHCP address allocated by the router.

If that's when everything's working, they will have. Still sounds like an IP conflict to me. Is the new router base address the same as your original? I have had problems when swapping routers because one (Netgear) had a base address of 192.168.0.1 and the other (Orange Brightbox) was 192.168.1.1. and of course my Hummy with a fixed IP of 192.168.0.250 had problems connecting to the new router until I re-allocated an address in the 192.168.1.x range.

If that's when everything's working, they will have. Still sounds like an IP conflict to me. Is the new router base address the same as your original? I have had problems when swapping routers because one (Netgear) had a base address of 192.168.0.1 and the other (Orange Brightbox) was 192.168.1.1. and of course my Hummy with a fixed IP of 192.168.0.250 had problems connecting to the new router until I re-allocated an address in the 192.168.1.x range.

It is a different base address but my Humax has changed with DHCP to the correct base. My base address was 192.168.0.1 now it is 192.168.1.254 my Humax has gone from 192.168.0.7 to 192.168.1.69.

My base address was 192.168.0.1 now it is 192.168.1.254

From which I conclude you have moved to BT Broadband? It's a crappy router, but you can change to 192.168.0.x addresses in Advanced Settings. You can also set up the DHCP table to give your boxes fixed addresses so they don't constantly change.

What the router will not do though is show what is on your network accurately. What it sees seems to vary from second to second. Try Advanced IP Scanner for that.

http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/

I have been streaming my recorded content of my Foxsat-HDR to my Fox-HD fairly successfully with the odd occasion of the Foxsat vanishing from the network but having changed broadband provider and a new router I seem to have an issue.

When my PC is switched on my Fox-HD appears to be blocked from accessing the Foxsat from media-blue-network, this can be resolved by either disconnecting my ethernet cable from the back of the PC or unplugging my homeplug that connects to my Foxsat.

If anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this I would be most grateful.

Just had a thought. You are only using one DHCP server, are you?

I have moved to primus they use talk talk network. The router is a Technicolor, probably not as good as the netgear from virgin, but considerably cheaper. I am using twonky.

I am only using 1 DHCP server and checking with IP scanner all my devices are on different IP addresses, the Foxsat I have set manually.

I am only using 1 DHCP server and checking with IP scanner all my devices are on different IP addresses, the Foxsat I have set manually.

Then I have no idea why disconnecting your PC should cause problems to clear. I thought you might have internet connection sharing (ICS) enabled on the PC.

OTOH I can't see how unplugging your Foxsat homeplug would allow it to be accessible from your Fox-HD either. I would have assumed the opposite.

Just an idle thought. Have you tried your old router, or is it locked to your previous network?

Then I have no idea why disconnecting your PC should cause problems to clear. I thought you might have internet connection sharing (ICS) enabled on the PC.

OTOH I can't see how unplugging your Foxsat homeplug would allow it to be accessible from your Fox-HD either. I would have assumed the opposite.

Sorry that wasn't very clear, I meant unplugging and plugging back in (the Homeplug).

Maybe it's the HomePlugs. They do have spasms and go wrong, some makes more than others.

It's possible, but without the computer on, the router and the homeplugs seem to work fine. Just watched an hour long programme with computer off no problems, put the PC on and it will work fine until you reboot the HD Fox T2 and the Foxsat then has vanished. It's strange because you would think it would dissapear as soon as the PC switches on, but is only not there when you try to re-enter the network.

It's possible, but without the computer on, the router and the homeplugs seem to work fine. Just watched an hour long programme with computer off no problems, put the PC on and it will work fine until you reboot the HD Fox T2 and the Foxsat then has vanished. It's strange because you would think it would dissapear as soon as the PC switches on, but is only not there when you try to re-enter the network.

You see, that tends to indicate that the PC is acting as a DHCP server and rebooting the T2 causes it to renew its IP address from either the PC or the Router. Are you absolutely sure you don't have ICS enabled?

Double click on each network connection in the network and sharing centre (control panel) and confirm that on the Sharing tab, ICS is not ticked.

Also, you can generally set up routers to assign a device a fixed IP address via DHCP, rather than fix it in the device. The latter relies on the DHCP server (router) knowing that an IP address is reserved. If the device is off and then you turn it on later, its fixed IP address may have been assigned to something else.

I fix all my IP addresses in the router so it knows what is what. Essentially, they are variable IP addresses, but the router always assigns a device the same IP address on renewal rather than a different one each time.

Curious that your ISP and BT should choose the same identical default IP address for their router. It isn't the obvious one to choose.

You see, that tends to indicate that the PC is acting as a DHCP server and rebooting the T2 causes it to renew its IP address from either the PC or the Router. Are you absolutely sure you don't have ICS enabled?

Double click on each network connection in the network and sharing centre (control panel) and confirm that on the Sharing tab, ICS is not ticked.

Also, you can generally set up routers to assign a device a fixed IP address via DHCP, rather than fix it in the device. The latter relies on the DHCP server (router) knowing that an IP address is reserved. If the device is off and then you turn it on later, its fixed IP address may have been assigned to something else.

I fix all my IP addresses in the router so it knows what is what. Essentially, they are variable IP addresses, but the router always assigns a device the same IP address on renewal rather than a different one each time.

Curious that your ISP and BT should choose the same identical default IP address for their router. It isn't the obvious one to choose.

There is definately no sharing tab available, I believe it is not available if there is only 1 network on vista.

Just looking at my network details on my Humax's, the fox has a DNS address the same as the routers and the Foxsat has a completely different DNS address is that normal?

Just looking at my network details on my Humax's, the fox has a DNS address the same as the routers and the Foxsat has a completely different DNS address is that normal?
It is a bit unusual but shouldn't stop things working if the DNS address is valid. I have read back through the thread and I am still not clear; are all the devices on the network getting IP addresses via DHCP or are some set manually?

Back