Nicesplice Magic Folders

The question was about activity.log not boot.log the waiting message are normal.
It wouldn't hurt to do a cold start switching the box off at the power socket or with the switch on the back after you have put it into standby with the remote

It wouldn't hurt to do a cold start switching the box off at the power socket or with the switch on the back after you have put it into standby with the remote
I have already tried that, unfortunately it made no difference.

Thanks for all your help. After removing the package 'Nicesplice magic folders' and then adding it back, it is now functioning correctly.

Hi All.

New member and first question....

Loving the "Nicesplice Magic Folders" as i regularly use Editing Via Remote Only due to not having internet at home.

I recently found out that you don't always have to have two bookmarks in a recording to 'Cut' it - effectively having a 'start' and 'stop' point. In reality you can place only one bookmark and the 'Edit' feature will use this as the Start point and then simply save everything right until the end of the recording, which is nice.

However, i frequently want the reverse - ie. save everything from the very start of the recording until it reaches the first (and only in my case) bookmark. Reason being that there is an approx 4 second delay/missing portion after the bookmark point (corrupt frames round the cut), therefore you loose some content when editing it, especially if it's right of the beginning of the recording where you loose the start of the tv programme!

As the bookmarks are only a guide point, and not an exact mark (i assume due to the bookmark being somewhere close-by in the recording for some strange reason?) i frequently have to play around with the position of it, and try to second-guess the 'real/exact' point that i want the recording to start (edit) from - which is very hit and miss! - and almost always get's it wrong, which is very frustrating!

I don't specifically want to use a third party software for my everyday editing, as i rather like keeping everything 'in-house' for ease of everyday use ie. NOT having to use a PC etc.

Can some kind person on this forum tweak the existing 'Cut' feature (programme/package) and create an Invert Cut instead - we could simply call it...
"[Invert Cut]"
....and place it in the same "Edit" folder.

I'm happy to help and test, but i must warn you i'm not a techie person so my skills to offer are very limited (sorry).

Any thoughts....?

Kind regards

PS.
I believe this feature is on the 'Webif' but as i don't have internet at home i can't make use of it - and i think there could be real demand for it, especially for users like me who like a quick procedure, rather than having to get a PC out, and logging in etc etc... (too much time wasted).

I'm personally more about make the Custom Firmware work for me (as it were) rather than me having to work for it (if that makes sense) - and i have some more 'Editing Via Remote Only' suggestions if anyone's interested?

(Sorry for the long post)

---

Last edited:
finally, someone who sings my tune! - luv the 'make the CF work for us' - i too don't have internet at home very often (have to borrow my grandsons when he visits!)

I would find the 'Invert Cut' option via the remote control very useful also

I believe this feature is on the 'Webif' but as i don't have internet at home i can't make use of it
You don't need the internet to make use of the webif and it's facilities - you could make do with an old laptop connected to the Humax by cable or wifi, although useful for updates, it is not essential to have a connection out to the world.

I am not sure that anyone is maintaining the Magic Folders these days.

@MymsMan

Hello and thank you for your reply.

I mentioned at the top of my post that i want to "Edit via Remote Control only" - as i only use remote control features, and not anything to do with the Webif/PC. To me it's pointless as it's not user friendly on a day-to-day basis. But i do accept that some others may disagree - (i'm not a techie person).

My request is on behalf of users like me who like a quick procedure, from the couch, so as not to have to get up and faff about with a PC.

I'm more about making the Custom Firmware work better for me and like-minded users.

I had hoped i made that quite clear in my post, however i do appreciate it was rather long, lol, so you may of got confused (or bored reading :)).

That said 'MymsMan' - how would that work in practice? Connecting via cable i understand but via wi-fi is the same as the internet, no? You need an internet connection to obtain wi-fi... or have i got that wrong - please explain.

With regards to the 'via cable', again please explain in a bit more detail please mate. People of a certain age like myself aren't always up-to-speed with all techie things. How does the Humax "see" a PC? I'm pretty sure it can't, as you would normally access the Humax via ftp wouldn't you? (which requires the internet).

As a reminder to those reading this, i don't have internet at home, nor regular access to a PC!

Very kind regards, and i look forward to your response 'MymsMan'.

Cheers

Last edited:
With regards to the 'via cable', again please explain in a bit more detail please mate. People of a certain age like myself aren't always up-to-speed with all techie things. How does the Humax "see" a PC? I'm pretty sure it can't, as you would normally access the Humax via ftp wouldn't you? (which requires the internet).
No, this does not require the Internet. What it requires is a home network (not necessarily connected to the Internet at all), which can be as simple as a point-to-point length of network cable.

When I visit my supported user (no Internet), I turn my Android phone WiFi access point on and then access the WebIF with a WiFi dongle plugged into the Humax, using my iPad. The phone acts as a router, providing a home network. I could also use the web browser on my phone instead of my iPad (at a push - the screen is small!).

Turning on 4G access on the phone also provides the Internet, but that's not the point.

My request is on behalf of users like me who like a quick procedure, from the couch, so as not to have to get up and faff about with a PC.
The Users Like You currently number 1. Using a smart phone or tablet to access the WebIF means not having to get off the couch. Using a notebook computer means not having to get off the couch. Doing everything via the SUI means annoying the other half with on-screen menus when she's trying to watch Corrie.

Yes, the WebIF offers an "invert cut" option, and there is no need to move recordings around to crop them (just use the OPT+ menu), but honestly – is it worth cropping a recording when you'll watch it once? Just jump to bookmark.

With ad detection, you can even set the bookmarks to the start of each programme segment, and simply hit the skip-to-next-bookmark button when the ads come on (during playback).

In any case: how would you even implement a magic-folders invert crop? It would need another (different) magic folder.

If you are really that keen, it might be possible to implement this yourself using sweeper.

@Black Hole

Not only do i not possess the technical know-how, but neither the equipment (smartphone, laptop, home network, dongle, router etc etc.), nor the time. A man of my years doesn't need all that crap lol - just a tv and a remote suits me just fine :)

On a serious note, people shouldn't assume that everyone has all the gadgets necessary, such as yourselves. Genuinely there are people who view this forum who can't afford them or simply choose not to have them in their life. And they would like very simple solutions that require using the Remote Control only.

Time is very valuable to us all, and anything that makes my personal life easier is always sought after.

I'm a very simple man (and possibly mind lol).

So back to my Post - who's the 'go to' person anyway? - I'm actually willing to pay for these package ideas of mine - seriously, just quote me a sensible price!

In answer to your question: Yes, to ME is it worth cropping a recording perfectly - it will be for my archive. To my mind, if someone was willing to create the Crop/Cut folder in the first place, then having an inverting option isn't an unreasonable request, especially if another version is available via the Web-if - it just proves someone originally had a demand for it, so now i would like the same feature via my Remote Control please.

Just to make it clear, i want nothing to do with the Web-if at all (nor the internet at home etc) - only on the rare occasion there is an interesting CF package - such as Nicesplice Magic Folders etc. - will i use it. I only want to use features that are accessible via the Remote Control only.

I don't want solutions that 'go around' my requests (such as alternate ideas), i only want actually fixes that address my specific requests directly (if that makes sense).

So can some kind person on this forum please tweak the existing 'Cut' feature (programme/package), OR create a brand new 'Invert Cut' feature called "[Invert Cut]" ..? - as i said i am willing to pay for your time.

I bet that if i want it, others will want it also (eventually lol).

In any case: how would you even implement a magic-folders invert crop? It would need another (different) magic folder.

...then so be it. Let's get it done.

Cheers

If you are really that keen, it might be possible to implement this yourself using sweeper.

....No thank you - i require just a special folder called [invert cut] - like the Magic Folder '[edit] / [cut] - so i can use with my remote control adhoc at my leisure - a no fuss solution.

Cheers

@Black Hole - please don't confuse my stubbornness or exact/specific requests as being disrespectful to your replies and suggestions - i am sincerely grateful for everyone that contributes on this forum - we are like a big family :) and i really do appreciate what everyone says.

Last edited:
Not only do i not possess the technical know-how, but neither the equipment (smartphone, laptop, home network, dongle, router etc etc.), nor the time.
OK you have made me curious; if you don't have access to any of those devices, how are you posting to the Forum?

If you want to ignore someone then try clicking on Members in top menu bar, find the member and in their profile click "ignore".

With reference to my original query - [https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/nicesplice-magic-folders.8493/page-2#post-130860] - can anyone create a new "Magic Folder" for example, for the purpose of inverting the 'Cuts' in the [edit] folder?

Very similar to the web-if version, but for the sole use via the Remote Control only.

Many thanks
How did you get magic folders installed on your Humax in the first place without any computer or internet connection.
You obviously do have an internet connection and the ability to post so are not a total luddite.

Creating a new Magic folder is not a trivial exercise but would require a significant amount of programming effort.

With reference to my original query - [https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/nicesplice-magic-folders.8493/page-2#post-130860] - can anyone create a new "Magic Folder" for example, for the purpose of inverting the 'Cuts' in the [edit] folder?
The logic of nicesplice -cutBookmarks, which is used by Nicesplice Magic Folders, is that material between bookmarks 1 and 2, 3 and 4, ..., 2n+1 and 2n+2, ..., is removed, with an implicit bookmark at the end of the recording (also apparently n < 16).

Given this, isn't your problem solved by adding a bookmark at the start of the recording, which you can do with the remote control?
I am not sure that anyone is maintaining the Magic Folders these days.
Nicesplice Magic Folders does its work through a shell script /mod/sbin/editmonitor, so anyone who wished to implement either a "Bookmark position 0" or an "Inverted cut" magic folder should look there; maybe modularise the script a little at the same time.

OK you have made me curious; if you don't have access to any of those devices, how are you posting to the Forum?

If you want to ignore someone then try clicking on Members in top menu bar, find the member and in their profile click "ignore".

@MartinLiddle

Hello there, and many thanks for your reply.

I'm currently at my Grandson's and making use of his internet at the moment.

As i don't have a PC or internet or any other modern electronic devices myself, my access to all the extra features on the Web-if are limited i'm afraid. So when there are features that do exist via the Remote Control also, that helps me enormously.

Anything i can suggest that helps me, may also help others, especially those who aren't members, but viewing from a far, such as myself until today :).

Apart from one particular individual, everyone else has been very kind in their responses and have made me feel welcome. Language is a powerful tool and for some, they simply don't understand that other's interpret it differently to how it may of been written. I made my point to that member that his help is not welcome because his language was rude and offensive to me.

I hope my suggestions can help others as well as mine.

Many thanks

Last edited:
How did you get magic folders installed on your Humax in the first place without any computer or internet connection.
You obviously do have an internet connection and the ability to post so are not a total luddite.

Creating a new Magic folder is not a trivial exercise but would require a significant amount of programming effort.

@MymsMan

Hello. I've taken the liberty in copying my reply (below) to yourself from another member who also asked .

Kind regards

Hello there, and many thanks for your reply.

I'm currently at my Grandson's and making use of his internet at the moment.

As i don't have a PC or internet or any other modern electronic devices myself, my access to all the extra features on the Web-if are limited i'm afraid. So when there are features that do exist via the Remote Control also, that helps me enormously.

Anything i can suggest that helps me, may also help others, especially those who aren't members, but viewing from a far, such as myself until today :).

Apart from one particular individual, everyone else has been very kind in their responses and have made me feel welcome. Language is a powerful tool and for some, they simply don't understand that other's interpret it differently to how it may of been written. I made my point to that member that his help is not welcome because his language was rude and offensive to me.

I hope my suggestions can help others as well as mine.

Many thanks

...Given this, isn't your problem solved by adding a bookmark at the start of the recording, which you can do with the remote control?

@/df

Hello there.

I took the liberty in copy/pasting my answer (below) from my original post....

"....However, i frequently want the reverse - ie. save everything from the very start of the recording until it reaches the first (and only in my case) bookmark. Reason being that there is an approx 4 second delay/missing portion after the bookmark point (corrupt frames round the cut), therefore you loose some content when editing it, especially if it's right of the beginning of the recording where you loose the start of the tv programme!

As the bookmarks are only a guide point, and not an exact mark (i assume due to the bookmark being somewhere close-by in the recording for some strange reason?) i frequently have to play around with the position of it, and try to second-guess the 'real/exact' point that i want the recording to start (edit) from - which is very hit and miss! - and almost always get's it wrong, which is very frustrating!"

Last edited:
Nicesplice Magic Folders does its work through a shell script /mod/sbin/editmonitor, so anyone who wished to implement either a "Bookmark position 0" or an "Inverted cut" magic folder should look there; maybe modularise the script a little at the same time.

@/df

Hello. Many thanks for you reply.

As you may of gathered, i'm not a techie person nor possess the skills to create CF packages or even amend them, hence my original post was asking if some kind person would be able to do this for me.

I hope that anything that i suggest may be of use to others who were "afraid to ask" type thing lol.

As the "invert" crop is available via the Web-if, i was hoping it would be available, or be able to be created new, so as to use via the Remote Control. Unfortunately i don't have the internet at home, nor have access to a PC on a regular basis, hence i need everything to work from the Remote Control.

This will explain a bit more about my problems - [https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/nicesplice-magic-folders.8493/page-2#post-130909]

Thank you for taking the time to answer, and possibly someone reading this could create this new feature?

Kind regards

@MymsMan

As i mentioned i think on this thread somewhere, i'd be happy to pay someone for their time to create this feature so i can use it via my Remote Control. I would think it would also help others who don't always have access to the Webif often.

I only wish i had the same skills as you guys, as i have a lot of free time now that i'm retired and have lots of package ideas that could be great for Remote Control users like myself :)

...alas i don't know how to code or programme, but i am willing to learn if someone wants to show me or guide me?

Thanks

Does anyone want to take up the challenge?

Kind regards

"....However, i frequently want the reverse - ie. save everything from the very start of the recording until it reaches the first (and only in my case) bookmark. Reason being that there is an approx 4 second delay/missing portion after the bookmark point (corrupt frames round the cut), therefore you lose some content when editing it, especially if it's right of the beginning of the recording where you lose the start of the tv programme!

As the bookmarks are only a guide point, and not an exact mark (i assume due to the bookmark being somewhere close-by in the recording for some strange reason?) i frequently have to play around with the position of it, and try to second-guess the 'real/exact' point that i want the recording to start (edit) from - which is very hit and miss! - and almost always gets it wrong, which is very frustrating!"
You're not the first person to want the ability to delete an intial section up to a bookmark, though to do so with Magic Folders is novel.

I can see that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to set a bookmark at the exact start of a recording using the remote, which is disappointing.

As to "strange reasons", remember that the Humax stores the video data in recordings using MPEG compression (as transmitted by the TV station), where (roughly) there is every so often a key frame containing an entire picture, and the intervening frames are stored as differences relative to the key frame. Consequently, if a video edit is made at a frame that isn't a key frame (and even then perhaps not -- see below), the whole section from the last key frame before the edit to the next one after the edit has to be re-encoded. Our machines don't have the processing power to do this (there is video co-processing hardware for decoding, but even that is not accessible to a program like nicesplice). If it were done, the re-encoded segment would lose resolution compared to the rest of the video.

As the author of nicesplice wrote:
I should point out that frame accurate editing is not really possible anyway, as nicesplice will adjust the cut points to the nearest I[key]-frame to try and minimise picture corruption. These are usually every second or so, but they are often also on significant scene changes, which is usually where you want to cut :) There often is still a few frames corruption just before a cut which I need to investigate sometime, but locking to I-frames keeps it clean at the start of a new section at least.
Elsewhere in the quoted thread, it is suggested that the cut-point for an "out" bookmark (bookmarks 1, 3, etc) is the next I-frame. Normally this would be the right thing, but not if the bookmark is meant to be at the start of the recording; as a result you might get a short, possibly corrupted, chunk from the start of the recording followed by the wanted final section.

In passing I wonder if the corruption mentioned occurs when the encoding of intermediate frames references the next key frame as well as the previous one: if so, it should be fixed by retaining the final I(key)-frame at the point of the cut before the I-frame at the beginning of the next section.

Whereas Nicesplice Magic Folders is a text package, nicesplice itself is a binary package and its source hasn't reached the project server. @Drutt was the original author, but no longer active here; perhaps @MymsMan can suggest how issues in nicesplice should be addressed.

Back