Nicesplice Magic Folders

Indecently, you mentioned "....decrypt magic folders...." are you saying you want to create a special folder on the 'My Video' screen, where you simply use the remote control to place a recording there, adhoc, to be automatically decrypted, similar to how the Magic Folder [edit] operates now (ie. automated)...?

your additional "magic folder" [decrypt] would be a much better idea for CF 'remote-control-only-users'.
love the sound of this. anything to improve the experience of non-web-if users is always appreciated. luv customer firmware but not webif for daily tasks. thanks

Last edited:
where i'm also trying to avoid the Web-if where possible.

I seem to remember that @af123 created this feature (virtual-usb) some years back to allow the Hummy "to see" external drives larger than 4TB

I personally would prefer to decrypt your way - a magic [decrypt] folder
just a thought, the implementation of another "magic folder" called [decrypt] would be fairly simple wouldn't it? the hard work has already been done by @af123, so all you would need to do is place a duplicate (virtual-usb) customer firmware package on the main 'my-video' tree, and rename it, no?

@af123 - what are you thoughts? it would be a 5 min job wouldn't it?

nb. for any of you delicate members, i'm using the term "magic folders" (as already used above) to mean any "special folder" that can perform an automated task on the main my-video screen using a standard remote control, and NOT specifically, or exclusive, to mean the 'nicesplice magic folder' package

i luv everyone's work on the custom firmware but sometimes i (and possibly others) feel excluded, as in the main, developers focus more on the webif experience which requires a laptop, or smartphone, or internet. NOT a dig, but merely highlighting the need to address the balance, thanks

Last edited:
I would guess around twenty; some fairly consistently contribute; some contribute and then vanish for a long time and then return and some haven't been here for a long time.
having just joined I'd like to make a positive contribution

I'm a (female) grad student learning coding so I could help with custom firmware package creation. in time I'd like to be a developer on here also :geek:

but if I make a mistake I don't want to be shouted at

just a thought, the implementation of another "magic folder" called [decrypt] would be fairly simple wouldn't it? the hard work has already been done by @af123, so all you would need to do is place a duplicate (virtual-usb) customer firmware package on the main 'my-video' tree, and rename it, no?

@af123 - what are you thoughts? it would be a 5 min job wouldn't it?
I take it we're using the @ symbol to attract a certain member? (we use the # tag)

ok so @af123 if this really would only be a 5-minute job I'd like to take a stab at it if cool?....its just a question of placement yes?

how do I get into the code?
:geek::geek::geek:

The reason being, it's seems, the software/package needs that 4-sec time/frames to stitch onto the new segment - as when playing the full recording after the cut/edit has been completed, you get to the cut point and then there is approx 4-sec of pix fuzz.

The 4 secs issue is due to the way mpeg encoding works, I created a mod to enable DetectAds automatically allow for that so for most programs no manual intervention is necessary its here https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/detect-ads.8923/post-128478

Hopefully when he has time MymsMan will include the addition in an update.

Last edited:
how do I get into the code?

Add the betaftpd package, then ftp into the box, the scripts are within the mod/webif/ folder but you have to discover where to find what

Take care, its a Linux box so if you upload files back you must maintain permissions or they won't work

jim tcl is used plus javascript/jQuery oh and obviously some html etc

Such a pity! I was formulating a plan for the [shell] Magic Folder -- create a folder in the [shell]/cmd subfolder whose name is a shell command with $1 standing for the basename of each recording in the parent folder, remove the ? from the name of the [shell]/exec? subfolder to run the command on the recordings, then read the resulting standard output and error as timestamped folder names in the [shell]/output subfolder. Ideal for the networkly challenged user, but all heading for the great bit-bucket in the sky now.

Such a pity! I was formulating a plan for the [shell] Magic Folder -- create a folder in the [shell]/cmd subfolder whose name is a shell command with $1 standing for the basename of each recording in the parent folder, remove the ? from the name of the [shell]/exec? subfolder to run the command on the recordings, then read the resulting standard output and error as timestamped folder names in the [shell]/output subfolder. Ideal for the networkly challenged user, but all heading for the great bit-bucket in the sky now.
Apart the lack of obvious customers there is nothing stopping you!

My thoughts had been to make Crop, Inverse Crop, and Command available via the Queue mechanism so the webif and sweeper users could run them in the background and then extend the Magic folders to allow for folders for each of the queue actions

Alternatively I wondered about the Portal - would it be possible to add a Portal App that alowed access to the webif so that it was possible to use the webif on the TV controlled by the remote.

Although this sounds good academically, I'm just a bit reticent about rewarding a nuisance by providing what he said he wanted. CF+WebIF provides enormous capability and variety; CF with no WebIF access will always be severely limited in capability by comparison, and plugging one perceived gap will just open the way to having other gaps noticed.

Just because we can doesn't necessarily mean we should.

Apart the lack of obvious customers there is nothing stopping you!
Your post on motivation and time available closely reflected my own position, but in this case LOL was a major element of the proposal.

Alternatively I wondered about the Portal - would it be possible to add a Portal App that alowed access to the webif so that it was possible to use the webif on the TV controlled by the remote.
I don't see why not, but haven't previously fiddled with Portal stuff.

With the new-portal and webshell packages installed, one can edit /mod/webif/html/portal/js/TVApps.js to link to the Webshell link on the Diagnostics page. The Webif page appears but the <iframe> that should display Webshell shows "page not available" and then redirects to the Webif home page -- perhaps an issue with Webif configuration?

As a side issue, one can then blindly navigate to the 'Browse Media Files' page with remote control 'OK' but there doesn't seem to be any response to remote control buttons on that page. Apparently the page needs to load JavaScript to handle each key that can be used, and, I dare say, to manage link highlighting on the page. Up, Down, Left, Right, OK and Back would seem to be a minimal set of keys to support (Exit always cancels the Portal).

On the positive side there seems to be no shortage of jQuery virtual keyboards that might be adapted to assist a Portal Webshell user.

It actually seems that something like this might be a viable project but if so, and if there is interest, it needs its own thread.

Back