[nicesplice]+[nicesplice-magic-folders] On box video editing

How would you like it decoded?

PS. I should point out (if it makes any difference) that this was not a recording of Red Dwarf but was instead a manual recording of the previous programme.

Sorry I meant decrypted (ie copied to an external drive etc so I can test playback on my box). Not bothered if its not Red Dwarf ;)

Hi Drutt

Will you be able to fix the fail to edit problem anytime soonish (few months maybe) do you think?
If not I'll start looking for an off box quick editor as I'm getting more and more of these
failures caused by the oversized chunks.
Incidently I just noticed that it creates an "_original" folder in the MyVideo root when it fails
and stores the original file there instead of in the *cut tree

cheers

I've hit a problem using the WebIF interface "crop" option - I bookmarked a 2-minute snippet out of a 2GB StDef file, the graphical representation of the "keep" part looked right, but the process completed very quickly and I ended up with a file of 0 bytes but which claimed to be 2 minutes long!

Regarding the "_original" folder, it always puts the uncut file there in case of accidents, and then you can delete it yourself when you are ready.

I've had the zero length file a few times myself when trying to create clips of 1 or 2 minutes.

You missunderstand - the " _original" folder it creates is in the root and only creates sometimes on error.
The "original" folder in the *cut tree is where it should have been placed (as you rightly say) as normal.
(this is a bug)

If you try to record a short recording on the HDR it puts a display up saying short recording may not save. Maybe there is a minimum length that has to be in the file before it will play.

ditto here - ftp shows the files are of zero length.

Just for the record I only ever control the box with the remote control.
Any comments I make not specifically referencing webif are related to that.

Will you be able to fix the fail to edit problem anytime soonish (few months maybe) do you think?
Sorry for delay replying - been away for a while (missed all sorts of things by the look of it - even an unexpected new update from Humax!). Yes, I really will try and do update soon - It seemed like a rare thing, but with more people using HD and probably higher quality broadcasts after DSO, it is likely to get more common (we have finally just switched over so I can actually test with more HD recordings than the one af123 sent me!),

Incidental I just noticed that it creates an "_original" folder in the MyVideo root when it fails
and stores the original file there instead of in the *cut tree
cheers

Using the onbox editing only? "_original" is used when cutting through webif. to store the original in the local folder, but I can't see any obvious way this should happen using only the onbox monitor method.

@Drutt
Since you're thinking about some revisions anyway, can I ask if there's anything that can be done to overcome the (approx) 5 second loss of sound that follows an edit? (HD recordings using bookmarks - not sure about other contexts). IMHO, it's the only thing that stops the on-box editing from being the ideal solution.

I have tried a few experiments to minimise this, with no luck I'm afraid. Unfortunately I only really have information about where the video frames are, and cut the entire file based on these. The multiplexed audio stream, will just get arbitrarily chopped, almost certainly not on any kind of boundary, so it takes a while to sort itself out. To some extent we're lucky it sorts itself out at all ;). I suspect anything better would involve separating out the audio and video streams, and re-multiplexing, and / or rebuilding and patching the audio stream around the break - way beyond anything nicesplice can do.

The way to go I think would be something using ffmpeg, but recordings would have to be decrypted first, and it may be slow...

Oh well, swings and roundabouts. As it is it's a quick and acceptable way of editing out ads, even if it's not precise enough for copies you might want to keep.

A problem I have is that the cut point seems to be near the bookmark rather than on it. Positioning a bookmark is itself fairly vague, and then I have to allow an extra (unknown) margin to account for cut errors. Is this typical?

A problem I have is that the cut point seems to be near the bookmark rather than on it. Positioning a bookmark is itself fairly vague, and then I have to allow an extra (unknown) margin to account for cut errors. Is this typical?

The cut is snapped to the nearest I-frame, which are typically every second or so, but can vary. This is optional (-noAlignCuts on the nicesplice command line), but without it you get (more) corrupt frames round the cut.

I find the inaccuracy of bookmarks the bigger problem, and it gets less accurate the longer the program. You can put exact times / frames in on the command line, but not very convenient. At some point I might add an option to cut using the "resume point" instead, but there is obviously only one of them. Could to a "cut before resume point", followed by a "cut after resume point" to trim a file. Removing ads would be more tricky...

cheers
Hopefully done a fixed version - would you (or anyone else with recordings that failed to edit to test on) be able to give it a spin for me before I roll it into a package update?
I've uploaded a new nicesplice executable here
Drop that over the old one in /mod/bin (and probably need to do a "chmod 755 /mod/bin/nicesplice" to make it executable again).

Steve

Is this expected to make a short clip from a long recording possible? If so I have a test subject.
Not sure - this fixes the error with a few recordings that have frames that are bigger than the size of the buffer I allocated, which causes nicesplice to exit with an error message along those lines. If that was the problem with your recording then hopefully it will fix it ;)

This is what I get with the existing version (using WebIF crop option):

Code:
Processing Cherie and Malcolm__20120415_2100
Moving recording to /media/My Video/_original
  Cherie and Malcolm__20120415_2100.thm
  Cherie and Malcolm__20120415_2100.ts
  Cherie and Malcolm__20120415_2100.hmt
  Cherie and Malcolm__20120415_2100.nts
read header /media/My Video/_original/Cherie and Malcolm__20120415_2100.hmt (14592 bytes)
found bookmark - 2694
found bookmark - 2830
progLen = 5119s, 2 bookmarks, HD = 0
read 128045 entries from /media/My Video/_original/Cherie and Malcolm__20120415_2100.nts
cut at nan seconds = frame 67352 (6332048)
cut at nan seconds = frame 70755 (6468053)
Adjusted cut 0.out down from 0 to 0
Adjusted cut 0.in down from 67352 to 67350
Adjusted cut 1.out down from 70755 to 70755
Adjusted cut 1.in up from 128045 to 128045
new Section - rounding down to chunk at frame 67350 (0 out) from 2613950137 to 2613950016
Wrote 0 bytes to /media/My Video/Cherie and Malcolm__20120415_2100.ts with 0 paddding for alignment
wrote 3405 entries to /media/My Video/Cherie and Malcolm__20120415_2100
progLen = 135s
wrote header /media/My Video/Cherie and Malcolm__20120415_2100.hmt (14592 bytes)
Renaming file group to Cherie and Malcolm__20120415_2100-1334953400
Time taken: 0.801

...which doesn't look to me like what you are talking about.

Back