[nicesplice]+[nicesplice-magic-folders] On box video editing

Drutt, I was testing nicesplice on a couple of radio recordings and, since the Humax doesn't let you set bookmarks on them, I was using the -cut option on the command line. I was trying to keep the second one-minute segment in so first tried '-cut 600 1200' but presumably that means remove that segment rather than keep it (so it doesn't work in the same way as bookmarks)?

Is there a way of saying 'to the end' so I could do something like:

-cut 0 600 -cut 1200 end

?

Thanks.

Is there a way of saying 'to the end' so I could do something like:

-cut 0 600 -cut 1200 end

Not able to double check at the moment, but I'm fairly sure you can just put in a very big number and it will round it down to the end eg:

-cut 0 600 -cut 1200 9999999
Steve

I've just finished using nicesplice to chop out 25 minutes of suitable highlights from the Royal Variety for the kids to watch. Really nice work Drutt this is a fantastic addition to the box.

First off, let me just say a massive thank you to the person (Drutt?) that has made this feature as it is absolutely fantastic and so much faster than having to transfer files to a PC and edit them on there. However, I'm having a bit of an issue after using Nicesplice and then trying to convert the recording once on a PC.

I'm currently using Freemake, as recommended on the Wiki page, which seemed to be handling the majority of unedited recorded .ts files OK and converting to .avi but whenever I try and process a .ts file that I've edited using Nicesplice, it doesn't seem to like it for some reason. I have tried un-encrypting the file using the virtual drive and then downloading to PC and also transfering to USB to decrypt and then copy to PC from there but using both methods, Freemake doesn't seem to like the file whereas it will process the unedited version fine so I'm guessig that Nicesplice could be causing the issue here?

Has anyone else had similar problems when trying to do the same or similar (convert Nicespliced recording on PC)? I would really love to be able to do this as it saves so much time over editing on a PC and then coverting but really don't want to have to pay for Video ReDo as this seems to handle the Nicespliced recordings OK but my free trial is due to expire in a couple of days!!

I'm not knocking the Nicesplice feature as it really is great and so easy to use so thanks again to it's creator, just I would really like to be able to convert my recordings to a more commonly recognised format for home network sharing without having to pay to do so so if anyone can tell me where I am going wrong or a better method of doing so I would be really greatful!

Matt

I've always had problems editing the file in Freemake's editor. Moving the edit point to the end of the file always crashes the program. I can edit in Freemake if I pass the file through tsMuxer first, but the simplest workflow I've found is:
1) Decrypt in place
2) Edit if required (I use bookmarks and the crop option in webif rather than magic folders)
3) Open the edited and decrypted file in Freemake via a file share
4) Encode (I encode to mp4 as it plays with anything)

If that fails, try:
1) Decrypt and edit as above
2) Open the file in tsMuxer via a file share, setting the output to a location on your PC (it doesn't take much longer than a file copy). No need to change any settings - just hit the 'start muxing' button
3) Open the remuxed file in Freemake and encode

If you use tsMuxer, you might also prefer to do any editing - cropping and ad-removal - in Freemake, rather than on the Hummy.

txMuxer available here.

Thanks fenlander, I've had the same problem with Freemake quite a bit when reaching the end of a file.

I'll have a play about with what you have suggested and report back as if I can manage to convert my recordings for free thanks to this and the modified firmware for free I will be delighted!!

Right, had a good play about with some files last night and it seems that the above method works fine for SD content however I'm still having issues with HD files.

After having a read around it appears that it is the aac audio which is causing the issues. When putting HD directly into Freemake it will convert so far and then crash and when putting HD through tsMuxR it doesn't detect an audio stream and just produces a video with no audio!! SD works flawlessly so far tho (5/6 files done last night) and all appears fine with them but would really like to crack HD as I've got quite a few series of stuff I would like to archive.

The only work-around I found last night was to convert the video to .mpg using Video ReDo which seemed to work OK for the majority, converted 8 Episodes of Russell Howard's Good News Ok and then reconverted using Freemake to .avi with no issues. However, I tried using the same method to convert Elf but after putting it through Video ReDo, the resulting .mpg is about 15 mins shorter than the original though I was too tired to check this but the file played back OK.

Do we have a free method for converting HD recordings as I'm down to my last day on the trial of Video ReDo and really don't want to have to spend $90 on a program?

I have attempted to join two recordings using the join button in Webif and get this message:

Drag the files below into order, enter a name for the resulting file and then click the Join button.

Runtime Error: join.jim:41: invalid command name "0" at file "join.jim", line 41

I was able to do it before a recent upgrade and can still join using the remote control method.

Update: All seems to be working normally again. I don't think I am doing anything different now, but...

Further update: It works joining from within a series folder but I am still getting the runtime error when trying to join from /video.

Many thanks to Drutt and others for Nicesplice it has made my editing so much easier.
I have a few problems that don't seem to have been mentioned before.

I can add book marks with the remote and then crop using the webif however although I have installed fix folders they will not crop files. I left them for a week so it is not me being impatient. I rebooted the Hummy and copied
A new file into the folder but still not cropping performed. I installed Nicesplice and the magic folders after upgrading to firmware v1.14.
Any ideas ?

My second comment is regarding cropping a file that has previously been cropped. I initially thought I was limited to 10 book marks for cropping so was going to edit some ads out and then do a second crop for the rest I have re-read the wiki and not I can inset 32 bookmarks for cropping.

I inserted bookmarks with the remote into the cropped file as normal When I tried to crop with the webif I appear to see a jumbled output mixing first crop data with some new data. The file size was consists with the new file but the time line displayed the old cropping points even though when checking the file with the remote I should have only 2 bookmarks however 10 are being displayed (original crop had 10 bookmarks). The text defining the cut positions did mention 2 bookmarks but then list 10.

This may not be that important as most people will not want to crop a file twice.

My final comment is regarding how to crop a file retaining the start and end sections but deleting the middle. Can this be done with bookmarks via remote or do I have to use the command line ?

Many thanks and keep up the good work. This community is making a good PVR into a great PVR.

Cheers

Jonno

My final comment is regarding how to crop a file retaining the start and end sections but deleting the middle. Can this be done with bookmarks via remote or do I have to use the command line ?
Put the first bookmark (BM1)at the start of your recording, the second (BM2) where you want the cut to start and (BM3) where you want it to stop. (BM4) if you want to lose a bit off the end. You might lose a frame or two at the beginning if you have no padding.

I inserted bookmarks with the remote into the cropped file as normal When I tried to crop with the webif I appear to see a jumbled output mixing first crop data with some new data. The file size was consists with the new file but the time line displayed the old cropping points even though when checking the file with the remote I should have only 2 bookmarks however 10 are being displayed (original crop had 10 bookmarks).

That's a bug in the web interface combined with a feature of nicesplice. Nicesplice zeros out the bookmark count in the crop output but doesn't zero the bookmark entries - the web interface is picking up bookmark entries that it shouldn't and will be fixed.

I have just completed a join in Webif /video and no longer get the Runtime error reported earlier in this post.
Thanks.

First - Excelent tool Drutt - really useful.

OK I've used this quite a bit and never had any trouble but this week I have 2 files that just refuse to cut.
Ive cut some before and some after I noticed this so I'm guessing it must be the files themselves somehow,
1 is an SD file of 39 minutes duration (coronation street omnibus last weekend)
2 is a movie of 149 minutes in HD (LA Confidential)

Both files sit in the cut folder but never get cut, I've repeatedly moved them back into the MyVideo root
and deleted the bookmarks and started again with different seetings but no luck.
Both of them seem to play ok but I've only scanned forward fast speed not watched them real time.

I can't see any common denominator - different resolutions, different lengths different channels/muxes different days recorded
I always use the remote to do do the cutting not webif (I could give that a go actually)
This is the second issue I've seen on my box that no one else seems to be reporting (I have an odd FTP issue) so it could be something
weird going on with my box but I thought it worth mentioning in case it ever rings bells anywhere.
On the other hand if anyone has suggestions/comments please fire away.
I'm using the latest firmware and latest mod (1.5 I think it is)

Back