[nicesplice]+[nicesplice-magic-folders] On box video editing

I could add some kind of progress output from from nicesplice if that can be polled from webif? I guess hard disk times could vary somewhat depending on type (on HD especially), whether playback / recording is in progress etc.

There is one other small change worth mentioning other than the addition of HD support. From the command line, I've changed the -cut option to take times (in 10ths of a second). There is a new option that works with frames (like the old -cut) called -cutframes.

Any problems let me know - the code got a lot more complex to handle HD, and use memory more efficiently (as the HD index files are more than twice the footprint). I'll be surprised if I've not broken something!

Steve

I could add some kind of progress output from from nicesplice if that can be polled from webif? I guess hard disk times could vary somewhat depending on type (on HD especially), whether playback / recording is in progress etc.

The progress bar in webif is fairly accurate because it calculates the size of the expected final file based on the amount that is being kept and the size of the original (effectively assuming a constant frame rate throughout). The estimate that is shown is before anything happens though and that's based on experimentation on my box - in my experience it has been fairly close though.

Drutt - great work! I've been waiting for the HD editor and am pleased to say it works a treat.

In a roundabout way, this also solves some problems that have been discussed elsewhere. In particular, if you edit out the channel lead-in at the start of a programme, pretty much all the issues around media players and format conversions go away. I have tested edited/decrypted files with Splash Player, WMP, VLC, Pot Player and WMP Classic Home Cinema. Only the last of these still has some problems with sound - all the rest now work perfectly. I'm also expecting Freemake to be able to convert to my favourite 720p without issues, though I haven't yet tested this.

The reason, I assume, is that the problems we previously experienced were due to the changes in the audio stream between the lead-in and the main feature. Editing these out results in a happy media player.

As you all know by now, I have a huge inertia and have not actually tried any of this yet. Sounds great though.

What I know I'm going to want to do: clip highlights out (which I gather we can now do), and join them together in one file (next trick to conquer?). The converse of this is to be able to split files into separate parts, then they could be joined together in any order you like (if you want). Basically, these are facilities that were available on my analogue PVR.

Being able to choose our own thumbnails will complete the set.

What I know I'm going to want to do: clip highlights out (which I gather we can now do), and join them together in one file (next trick to conquer?)

Joining is already supported by the backend utility and the magic folders package, but not in the webif yet.

The converse of this is to be able to split files into separate parts, then they could be joined together in any order you like (if you want). Basically, these are facilities that were available on my analogue PVR.

Yes, the webif will eventually allow joining files in any order, but there are still some limitations - basically you won't always have success joining programmes from different channels.

Joining is already supported by the backend utility and the magic folders package, but not in the webif yet.

Magic folders currently supports joining 2 recordings (just move them to *edit/*join/*section1 and *edit/*join/*section2) and it will fire off automatically.

From the prompt you can join up to 10 (if memory serves me right). The other limitations (with all edits) is a maximum length of approx 8 hours, and recordings from different channels often fail.

Code:
nicespice -in [file1] -in [file2] -in [file3]... -out [newfilename]

Hi Drutt. I tried this out at the weekend and it works brilliantly, so many thanks for your efforts. While I was experimenting, I tried recording two different channels simultaneously and then joining the recordings together. The join seemed to work and the recording length show was the sum of the two parts, however when I tried to play it back the first 'part' played OK, but then playback just stopped when it got to the 'join', as if it had reached the end of the recording. Same thing happened when I tried to join two non-overlapping recordings from different channels. Do you know why this would be? I'm guessing it's a change in bitrate or something, or possibly the fact that the channels I used (Film4 and QVC) are on different multiplexes. Please note this isn't a grumble about the fact it can't do this, I can't think of any reason why anyone would want to be able to do this. It's more just geeky curiosity!! ;-)
How do you actually join? I have read the wiki and placed my 8 files in edit/ join/ section 1 folder. What do you do next?
Edit Sorry I have just seen the post above.
Edit I have placed one rec in section 1 and one in section 2, nothing happened.
Edit Does it matter that both are saved streamed content?

Edit Does it matter that both are saved streamed content?

Yes - I'm pretty sure that wont work... nicesplice only deals with the recorded programs from freeview, the internet streams are rather different. You're better off getting this onto a computer and using a video editor of your choice :)

How do you actually join?

For Command line Joining as in the example above, See line 4 / Note 4 of the WiKi HERE.
For auto joining you must have nicesplice-magic-folders running, then files placed in edit/ should be worked on automatically, See Edit via Remote Only HERE

@af123 Sorry for late reply. I have been in the wilds of Norfolk with no Internet access for a couple of days :(

I am afraid it didn't have a clock on it. The figure I stated was taken from the Webif. I did another which indicated 6 mins but it is difficult to know when it completes. The original appears in the Original folder very quickly but I have to refresh the media file several times before the edit is back in the video folder. The refreshes seem to be just snapshots.
Hope that makes sense.

No problem - the output that appears at the bottom of the screen after the crop is complete has the actual time taken at the bottom (although it's in seconds). I was just interested to see how close my estimates are.

I was just interested to see how close my estimates are.
I have cropped another HD video. 2.71 GiB
The original 47.27 mins. Keep 45.41 mins Time 4.32
Blue bar went to 100% in 60secs.(clocked) I do not see any time in seconds below. Should it be below the line: Please do not interrupt...

I have done a quick SD edit and I get the text box with the time taken in seconds at the bottom. It's not there when I crop HD.

It seems a bit hit and miss as to whether I get the text box.
If I cut a lot and keep a little it's there. If I cut a little and keep a lot then no show!

@af123 - I clipped my Cars recording (in HD) and it said it would finish in about 10 minutes and it did so the estimate was pretty accurate. The progress bar didn't move at all during the ten minutes though so I was a bit worried (my plan was to have waited for twenty minutes before getting twitchy fingers) but it all worked OK in the end. In case it's relevant I was only clipping off a small amout from the beginning and end (rather than multiple ad break trims).

I get this message if I try to refresh the cropping page:

Runtime Error: crop.jim:17: invalid command name "0" at file "crop.jim", line 17

Back