No HD channels in SW France?

MCR01

Using a 2012 Foxsat-HDR in SW France: it was working fine but now (April 2023) no HDR channels of any station are seen. Has the BBC changed something?
Using a 90cm dish which is slightly rusty (i know this won't help).
Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Using a 2012 Foxsat-HDR in SW France: it was working fine but now (April 2023) no HDR channels of any station are seen. Has the BBC changed something?
There have been recent changes to the BBC1 HD broadcasts on Freeview; not sure about Freesat.

I've not noticed any big changes on our Freesat boxes, so I'd think either it's your kit or they've changed the beam spread from the satellite.

One of our dishes is pretty rusty but it still works well. It only needs a thin metal mesh to reflect the beam - most of the metal is there for structural purposes.

Yes, beam spread change might account for it.
Any ideas where I might find information on recent changes to "beam spread"?
Thanks.

Yes, beam spread change might account for it.
Any ideas where I might find information on recent changes to "beam spread"?
Thanks.
I was looking for some general coverage info a month or two back and it was a struggle.
I'd suggest searching on various terms around that and look for stuff dated recently, like Reddit threads or news articles. Also try filtering for images and again look for recent versions (and maybe older ones to compare).

like you I haven't found much by doing normal Google searches.
Yes, it was odd. Months ago I saw some info (including a map) on skew angles for different areas, but when I was setting up the new system a couple of months later I couldn't find a damn thing*. Google is horribly inconsistent at times. Probably worth trying other browsers as well.

(* I did find an item that said skew really only mattered with a weak signal, so having a zone 2 dish in the south of England I left it in the middle/default. It's fine.)

When did it all last work correctly?

Satellites don't / can't change beam settings on the fly as far as I know.
Broadcasters do move to different transponders which may have different beam patterns.

BBC are using much the same Tps as they always have (after a lot of shuffling and use of temporary Tps). They have moved from DVB-S to DVB-S2 and the harder to receive FEC rates though.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/help-guides/freesat-sky/satellite-frequencies is the latest list from them.
That work was completed late in March and took a month or two.

BUT no reception at all on any Tp frequencies = duff LNB and/or connections and or box. OR dish moved. Almost certainly.
It's a process of methodical fault finding needed.

It worked last week, although signal strength of BBC HD channels has always be weak (based on the rather crude red/orange/green colour display available in the TV, a Samsung UHD TV, 7 Series)
I'd assumed that, as I still have most other channels at satisfactory signal strength, the dish hasn't moved?

Thanks for the link; I'll look at what FEC means and start checking for obvious mechanical problems.

Using a 2012 Foxsat-HDR in SW France: it was working fine but now (April 2023) no HDR channels of any station are seen.
Errrm I was talking about the Foxsat-HDR you mentioned.
It worked last week, although signal strength of BBC HD channels has always be weak (based on the rather crude red/orange/green colour display available in the TV, a Samsung UHD TV, 7 Series)
That's a new one... Now it's a TV and you get some channels.

You need to go through the transponder frequencies for the channels you get/want methodically and use a meter such as the -HDR has to check if there's a pattern (Hi/Lo switching or H/V) that will account for it. Including the IF frequency/cable losses.

But SW France is rather outwith the intended service area and may need extreme measures to get good reliable reception.

Well, OK, I'll try again!
I'm in SW France, midway between Bordeaux and Toulouse.
Last week all Freest channels were being received fine.
This week NO HD channels are being received, BUT all other channels are still fine.
I conclude the dish has not moved but something has changed.
(Incidentally a neighbour a few miles away has the same problem).
Is that clear?
Any ideas welcome, thanks.

This week NO HD channels are being received, BUT all other channels are still fine.
That's a bit different from your original post.
Per BH above, Rodders post #8 above does seem like a probable explanation for your problem.

Last week all Freest channels were being received fine.
OK so there has been - apart from the launch of Channel 4 HD regions - no change to any broadcast parameters in that time frame. All BBC tweaking was completed in March and we are, today, now in May.

As it's alright leaving them it is a problem your end.

I conclude the dish has not moved but something has changed.
IMHO you can't conclude that from the 'evidence' you present.

Dish alignment and/or LNB fault or cable issue may give rise to the same symptoms. Even stuff such as LNB temperature may have an effect?

You need to go through the tuned Tps and note the signal/quality numbers for each: then compare to see if Hi/Lo or IF frequency or even H/V are the 'problem' channels. Looking for a pattern to point to an identifiable fault.

Use the -HDR metering? Check the -HDR metering on the TV cable as well as the -HDR's own?

Call in a man/woman with a decent meter to diagnose?

(Incidentally a neighbour a few miles away has the same problem).
Is that clear?
Any ideas welcome, thanks.
Coincidences happen.

The HD parameters used by BBC and ITV (DVB-S2 8PSK 23000 3/4 are designed to maximise the data payload for a HD transponder and that makes them slightly more difficult to receive without errors. No issue in the UK but outwith...?

Not all HD channels use that mode: e.g. Channel 5HD is in a DVB-S Tp along with SD channels as is one of the Channel 4's (London HD along with 4Seven SD).
https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?live=69&mux=11954&liste=2&lang=en has the info needed for comparison.

Coincidences happen.
They do, but if there is a potential common cause that's the place to start. What does "last week" really mean?

Nonetheless, appropriate diagnostic examination will root out the problem, in preference to "hit and hope". If you don't have the tools, hire somebody who does.

Thanks for all that information.
"Last week" seems clear enough, no? It was working last week (before 24th April 2023) now it isn't. This is the same timeframe for my neighbour too.
Thanks again, will check the obvious and report back.

Working with how much margin? Not much I guess and you're now the wrong side of the digital cliff for whatever reason.
The EIRP plots are freely available on Eutelsat's web site. You work out which one applies to your location and then work out how much gain you need to correspond to a standard UK dish and that'll lead you to a dish size. Going from 90cm to 1.4m gives you almost 4dB (and make sure the skew is right, as it does matter in marginal situations).

In my trawling a couple of months ago I saw one comment that the satellites do move around a little. They drift off and when they get near the edge of their 'window' the propulsion is used to push them back. IIRC 24km was mentioned and it was suggested that in marginal situations it could cause a loss of signal.
So a (remote?) possibility is the changes to BBC HD weakened the reception and a subsequent shift of the satellite has then been the final straw.

But the post I'm quoting may have been garbage, in which case ...

Back