No HD signal

I sense you are being overwhelmed by the advice/options you are getting. You are doing ok. The trouble is that we are not there to carry out the fault-finding procedure ourselves and we may not express our selves sufficiently well for you to understand what we are getting at. So patience on both sides is required.

I believe what BH is trying to point out is that if you tell us what Standard Definition Multiplexes you are receiving then we can find out what transmitter you are tuned to. This means knowing what tv channels reside in what MUXs, selecting those channels and finding out what Radio Frequency channels they are being transmitted on. [Of course I may be completely misunderstanding BH. :)]

As you have done an auto-tune the unit should have searched the complete frequency band and tuned "in" all possible signals. This may mean you have channels above 799 in the EPG. If you do then you are receiving from more than one transmitter and you may not be receiving from the best transmitter. A manual tune avoids this - as long as you choose the best transmitter for your aerial, its orientation (vertical/horizontal) and pointing direction.

Unfortunately I'm just off to the sun for a week, but I'm sure someone will guide you through this process. But, if you have not done so, a Reset makes sure you start from a known baseline.

Hope to hear everything is good when I return.

Martin

Thankyou for this. I am grateful for all advice. I don't understand it all, but I'm trying to. Nobody is obliged to help me with this and the fact that they do is most welcome and generous. After the auto retune I have a few duplicates, not many, and none in HD. I understand Martin's post about finding out which transmitter I'm using but still don't quite see how to do this. I imagine it concerns doing a manual scan which will somehow reveal this. Am I right?

Ah, I see. Digital co uk gives Malvern with alternatives Lark Stoke and Sutton Coldfield. All three show as good.
But, I believe,your aerial has to point the appropriate transmitter.
Can you look at your aerial and a map to determine which one it is pointing at.

You should also check whether the aerial has horizontal or vertical spikes. As different transmitters appear to expect different aerials.

There are more considerations but that will do for now.

There are better experts than me on this forum, i'm sure one of them will advise if you supply the requested info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Right, it seems to me that I'm picking up most SD channels from Malvern but some channels - HD and things like e4+1 - from Lark Stoke. I've got channel 44 and channel 30 (HD) which are Lark Stoke numbers; the rest appear to be Malvern.

I have worked this out from info from digital uk ("how to retune" which lists channel numbers) and the settings/signal detection menu.

The auto rescan provides this selection with a few duplicates.

Digital uk says I should be on Malvern.

Should I now manually retune to Malvern?

Yes. Go for it.

You will loose your scheduled recording list, but that can be recovered if you are using the CF.

To make sure the current channel list is removed and not just 'added to' I recommend you actually start an Auto Retune but cancel it straight away and then hit save. This will clear your channel list.

Now start the manual tune process. Obviously selecting each channel that is appropriate for your chosen transmitter. Don't forget when using the manual retune procedure, you will have to change the DVB-T setting to DVB-T2 when searching on the HD MUX.

And don't 'worry' about doing the manual tune. If it all goes pear-shaped and you get lost you can always just do an automatic one to get back to where you are now - nothing lost (except your scheduled recording list).

Trevor:

If you go to Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection you will find all your currently tuned multiplexes (channel numbers) are listed to pick from. There should be six or so. If you tell us what they are we can check whether they are correct and all from one transmitter.

Check out Things Every... (click) section 2, which will direct you to exact and detailed instructions how to go about a manual tune if you wish to do that. Standard firmware 1.02.32 does a better job than previous firmwares of automatic tunes.

Trevor:

If you go to Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection you will find all your currently tuned multiplexes (channel numbers) are listed to pick from. There should be six or so. If you tell us what they are we can check whether they are correct and all from one transmitter.

Check out Things Every... (click) section 2, which will direct you to exact and detailed instructions how to go about a manual tune if you wish to do that. Standard firmware 1.02.32 does a better job than previous firmwares of automatic tunes.

OK, the numbers there are: 30 39 44 50 53 55 57

I will go ahead with a manual retune but I just want to ask:

if the autoscan doesn't pick up the HD signals from Malvern, even as alternatives, why do I think that manual scanning for Malvern will improve my HD reception?

Well that's the point isn't it. As far as I can see, the constellation for Malvern should be 50, 53, 55, 57, 59 (DVB-T); 60 (DVB-T2). If you are certain your transmitter should be Malvern, run a manual tune (starting with an aborted auto-scan to clear the current tuning) using those numbers (and only those), as described in the link in the Things Every... section I referred to before.

The others appear to be a mixture of Sutton Coldfield and Lark Stoke, but they could be a local repeater that my quick search has not revealed.

You won't get offered alternatives unless they are from a different region.

Just out of interest I looked up what the current tuning has done. It's currently tned to not 2, but 3 different transmitters. This would make reliable Accurate Recording very difficult.

30 Lark Stoke (BBC B HD)
39 Sutton Coldfield (ARQ B)
44 Lark Stoke (ARQ A)
50 Malvern (SDN)
53 Malvern (BBC A)
55 Malvern (ARQ B)
57 Malvern (D3&4)

Which firmware? 1.02.32 is reported to improve the tuning process, but I don't know in what way.

I think what has happened here is that the Humax has taken the first frequency it has found with the required regional services. It scans twice - first for DVB-T (StDef) and then again for DVB-T2 (HiDef). I don't know why there are two ARQ Bs in that set though.

1.02.32 is reported to improve the tuning process, but I don't know in what way.
When it asks which transmitter you want, it takes notice. However, if one of the muxies for that transmitter is not receivable it will use a mux from elsewhere instead. Also the only duplicates are the channels which have local programming I.e. BBC1, ITV, ITV+1 and ITV HD, which it puts in the 800s and can be easily deleted with confidence that they are not coming from the chosen transmitter.

Well, there you go. I started the manual retune (for Malvern).When I got to the HD channel and asked for 60, it told me there were no channels found. Clearly this was not going to solve my problem, so I cancelled the project and did an autoscan to put it back as it was.

Should I go for Lark Stoke instead?

I thought you said you had a problem with HiDef on 30 from Lark Stoke?

I take it all the DVB-T channels from Malvern were picked up? Did you change the setting from DVB-T to DVB-T2 for channel 60 (if you don't do that, you get what you reported)?

Which way is your aerial pointing? Should it point another way for Lark Stoke or Sutton Coldfield?

Well, there you go. I started the manual retune (for Malvern).When I got to the HD channel and asked for 60, it told me there were no channels found. Clearly this was not going to solve my problem, so I cancelled the project and did an autoscan to put it back as it was.

Should I go for Lark Stoke instead?

The autoscan has found no HD channels at all. This is a new low in this saga!

I thought you said you had a problem with HiDef on 30 from Lark Stoke?
Yes, I do. Well, I have a problem with 30; I presume it''s Lark Stoke.
I take it all the DVB-T channels from Malvern were picked up?
Yes, I think so. But after the subsequent autoscan I have no HD services at all; they have disappeared.
Did you change the setting from DVB-T to DVB-T2 for channel 60 (if you don't do that, you get what you reported)?
Yes, I did.
Which way is your aerial pointing? Should it point another way for Lark Stoke or Sutton Coldfield?
I don't know, to be honest. I have about three aerials on the roof and I don't know which is active. Depth, out of, sort of thing.

Without getting on the roof you are limited to using the transmitter that your aerial(s) are pointing at, so here's a few questions
Do all the aerials on your roof point is the same direction as each other?
Do they point in the same direction as your neighbour's aerials?
Do they point at Malvern, Lark Stoke or Sutton Coldfield?

Back