No HDMI output

matchfacts

My box no longer supplies a TV picture via the HDMI output.

I know the cable is OK as I do get the "Humax" screen during boot up, but no picture after that.

I know the box itself is working as I can see a picture when using the SCART output!

Any ideas?

This started at switch on on 5 June, the latest update happened 29 May and all had worked fine until 4 June.

This is probably a HDMI handshake failure, it sometimes shows itself as a 'Green Flash' or a permanent Green Screen, it look like you are saying the HDMI link worked after the latest update on the 29th May so you need to find out what changed on the 4th June, did you add an HDMI switch or an AV Amp. in between the TV and Humax for instance?

The HDMI did work after the update.

Was watching on evening of 4th June, no problem. Switched on 5th June and nothing but black screen after the boot up screen. I checked the SCART connection and all there, no problem.

Could the handshake work for the boot screen and fail for the TV signal?

I'm thinking of trying a reboot from Maintenance Mode, hoping that the options which keep recordings will work.

Could the handshake work for the boot screen and fail for the TV signal?
Yes, there appears to be a default universal low resolution HDMI mode that everything accepts and the higher resolution negotiation is done afterwards, similar to how P.C.s used to work in the old days where the P.C. would start-up in low-res VGA mode before switching to a higher resolution /scan-rate

Tried a couple of things.
Firstly changed the HDMI output settings -1080i, 1080p, and 720p. No change.
Factory reset, keeping recordings. Still no change.
Unless anyone has other suggestions, my next option is factory reset again, but losing recordings. Not sure if that is any different but can't think of anything else.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

This is probably a HDMI handshake failure, it sometimes shows itself as a 'Green Flash' or a permanent Green Screen

Is HDMI handshake the worst thing the industry has inflicted upon consumers, ever? It really is a pain that you switch bits of equipment on and off and they no longer talk. Sometimes unplugging and re-plugging the wretched cable solves the problem.

I think one creative artist should be shot for every HDMI handshake failure that occurs.

Yes, the handshaking handles not only resolution but also the exchange of HDCP encryption keys, so the industry has produced this over complicated, (sometimes unreliable) system so that it can include copy protection, which I understand has been cracked anyway, see link HERE

That wouldn't be a good idea otherwise we would run out of stuff to watch on our boxes PDQ. :disagree:

Either that, or the industry would learn pretty damn quick to devise some better way. :frantic:

Perhaps a class action suit against the perpetrators of HDMI HDCP is called for.

No. I would say the lack of an synch signal to tie the audio to the video is a much worse crime against the domestic AV user.

I watched a film the other night, on a BD player from Philips that has no AV sync setting. I struggled for ages with it and finally found that my Amp was the culprit. It had one setting to set the sync and also another to "automatically set lip sync" and they were clearly fighting one another. I disabled the latter and enjoyed the rest of the film. The Philips player has hundreds of settings, not one for lip sync!

Watched a recording last night and had to pause it almost immediately, as we had a phone call. Restarted and the sync was way off. Stopped and restarted and it was fine. I think the Hummy could have done the equivalent of that for me! :rolleyes:

HDMI 1.3 incorporates
Lip Sync: Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates automatic audio synching capabilities that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with total accuracy.
I understand that all devices in the chain need to support HDMI 1.3 for this to work properly.

Before I hit that full factory reset button can anyone tell me what the usb/internet reset is?
Will the "internet" option work automatically or do I need to prepare a usb?

Tried different HDMI leads and different HDMI inputs on the TV.

HDMI 1.3 incorporates automatic audio synching capabilities that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with total accuracy.
How can this be? If (as far as I know) there is no embedded time correlation between the video and audio streams, there is no reference for an automatic synchronisation to lock onto.

How can this be? If (as far as I know) there is no embedded time correlation between the video and audio streams, there is no reference for an automatic synchronisation to lock onto.

Isn't the video and audio interleaved in the signal? I know you can do that in MPEG, either interleave it or bung the two streams in series. Mind you, the interleaving would have to be tight for lip sync to work.

When a TV uses the internal tuner (ie no HDMI involved, not something I do very often), is there a lip sync adjustment, and if not is the sound sync ever out? Could it be that the broadcast data is in sync but it is the HDMI chain to the TV that throws it out? What about when the sound is being produced through a separate amp?

When a TV uses the internal tuner (ie no HDMI involved, not something I do very often), is there a lip sync adjustment, and if not is the sound sync ever out? Could it be that the broadcast data is in sync but it is the HDMI chain to the TV that throws it out? What about when the sound is being produced through a separate amp?

I set mine by turning on both the TV and amp speakers and syncing them at about 150ms. As far as I know, the TV sync is OK but the feed via optical lead causes the above correction to be necessary.

I had this with my Humax Foxsat HDR receiver from brand new ,it would give me the start up green screen ,but refused to give a picture when connected via HDMI directly to my Panasonic plasma.The Humax Freeview HDR T2 i bought on the same day worked fine via HDMI first time.Tried various brand new HDMI cables to no effect,but the Foxsat would work perfectly via scart.The only way i could get it to work was connecting it up to my Pioneer AV reciever on one of the HDMI inputs then to the plasma via the output HDMI on the Pioneer.

Well, BT sent out an engineer and changed the box. I now have an hdmi output but no programmes to watch!
Would be so simple to allow media storage to swap between boxes. Very frustrating!

Back