No USB Drive option

hummybee

Hi All

Since installing the Custom Firmware, I no longer get the the USB option when selecting Media-Video/Storage.

Only get HDD and Network options. Any suggestions please?

Also, Network takes me to my Modem/Router so do I need to set-up/change some setting(s) here to get to the Video etc. files stored on my PC?

I'm using WinXP.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

the files on your PC will only be visible to your Humax if they are being served by a DLNA/UPnP server on your PC

Hummybee, are you refering to the three options you normally get by pressing media and then blue button on the Humax remote?

Since installing the Custom Firmware, I no longer get the the USB option when selecting Media-Video/Storage.
The USB option [Media >> Storage (blue)] is only available if there is a USB drive inserted (this is nothing to do with the custom firmware), or if a virtual USB drive is created using custom firmware.

Also, Network takes me to my Modem/Router so do I need to set-up/change some setting(s) here to get to the Video etc. files stored on my PC?
As EP says, the things listed in Media >> Storage (blue) >> Network are devices on your home network which offer a DLNA server. To see content on your PC you need to provide it with a DLNA server (eg XBMC or Windows Media Player).

Many people find network_shares_automount a better option - see HERE (click).

Hi 4ndy.

Yes I'm referring to the three options you normally get by pressing media and then blue button on the Humax remote.

It was 'offered' as an option when a USB drive was attach to the front USB port.

Other than the Custom Firmware, the only change is my modem/router from Netgear DG834GT to Technicolor 582n.

When I choose 'Network' it takes me to the Technicolor and shows none existent folders which would only be relevant if the Technicolor had a USB port, which the Plusnet version doesn't have.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Let's be clear (there are two different topics in this thread):

USB: Are you saying there is no USB option in the Media >> Storage (blue) list even though you have a real physical USB drive / stick inserted in the USB socket? What if you try the other socket (front/rear)? Can you try another device (they have been known to get corrupted)?

Network: It will be difficult to help unless somebody has the same router as you. As previously mentioned, the Media >> Storage >> Network option causes the HD/HDR-FOX to search your home network for devices offering a DLNA service (for information about these terms please see the Glossary - click). You are then constrained by the way that device provides the service, and any configuration options it offers. Note also the HD/HDR-FOX will only regard specific content as being compatible, and will not list just any old thing. To try to get content from your PC available, it is not only necessary to install a DLNA server, it also has to be configured properly. Normal Windows network sharing is not sufficient.

Hi Black Hole

Yes, have tried two different USB HDDs . One was used before to copy some Music (video) files from the Humax as a backup.

Now, thanks to the Custom Firmware, I have decrypted these files on the Humax and need to replace the backup files on the USB HDD.

But, no USB HDD option when pressing media and then blue button on the Humax remote!!

Networking can wait as USB problem more urgent atm.

Are there any settings I need to check both on the Humax or the Custom Firmware which could stop the USB option appearing?

Using 1.02.29.mode 2.15 Custom Firmware and previously on Humax 1.02.28.

Any ideas please?

Are there any settings I need to check both on the Humax or the Custom Firmware which could stop the USB option appearing?
No.
Any ideas please?
Sorry, none. Were I in this position I would try a UPD (you must have one hanging around, to have installed the CF!), try a complete shut-down (standby, wait for shut-down to complete, power off with the switch on the back) and restart, and as a last resort restore standard firmware.

Hi Black Hole

Thanks for the suggestions. When you say try a UPD I assume you mean a USB Pen Drive.

I'll try a complete shut-down and re boot later and a UPD.

I have managed to start to transfer some decrypted files to my PC HDD by using the Download option under OPT+ so now just need to get the Humax to see the media files on my PC Drive.

Talking about media files. I haven't transferred any Audio files to the Humax as, afaik, it doesn't play FLAC coded files.

Is this something that could be added in a future CF upgrade, assuming it's not already available and I've just missed it?

When you say try a UPD I assume you mean a USB Pen Drive.
Indeed, as per the Glossary.

Talking about media files. I haven't transferred any Audio files to the Humax as, afaik, it doesn't play FLAC coded files.

Is this something that could be added in a future CF upgrade, assuming it's not already available and I've just missed it?
Sorry, there's nothing that we can do to add support for currently unsupported formats. You may be interested in the list HERE (click). See also Index.. Miscellaneous.. Video File Support & Manipulation.

Hi Black Hole

Tried a complete shut-down but neither USB HDD or UPD are recognised!

Thanks for the link to Video File Support.

Been using FileZilla to download and upload files, so all is not lost. It works great and well worth anyone trying if they haven't already.

Will give USB recognition problem some more thought tomorrow.

If anyone has any suggestions about what else to try (before I consider reinstalling the CF) please let me know.

If you can't get a drive recognised at all, having tried several, front or back, with or without CF, the only conclusion left is "broken".

With CFW installed, the rag.log file might shed some light.

Posted on the move; please excuse any brevity.

If you can't get a drive recognised at all, having tried several, front or back, with or without CF, the only conclusion left is "broken".

Hi Black Hole

You jumped the gun a little as I only tried the front USB port and was only considering reinstalling the CF.

The back is more difficult to get to and now I have tried it and it works!!!

I did take the top and front off when removing the orange perspex covering the display so guess I must have disturbed the USB connection then.

So now I can use my Seagate '500GB' USB drive to extended the storage.

It's formatted as FAT32 but need to decide if there is any worthwhile advantage to changing it to NTFS or let the Humax reformat it (I presume to ext3 or ext4 or ext2).

Got there in the end.

Many thanks for your, and other members, help.

Refer to post 6:
Are you saying there is no USB option in the Media >> Storage (blue) list even though you have a real physical USB drive / stick inserted in the USB socket? What if you try the other socket (front/rear)? Can you try another device (they have been known to get corrupted)?

If your front socket isn't working you still have a reason to replace the unit.

For advice re format, see Things Every... (click) section 12.

Refer to post 6:

If your front socket isn't working you still have a reason to replace the unit.

Hi Black Hole

Not sure what you mean as I'm not looking to 'have a reason to replace the unit'.

I bought it when it was first released so the two year warranty run out some time ago and that's why I decided to open up and remove the orange perspex covering the display.

If/when I need to open up again, I'll see if I can fix the front USB port but as I was going to connect the USB drive to the rear USB port anyway, it's not really a problem I need to look at now.

Thanks for the link.

Sorry, I had in mind you were within warranty.

Hi Black Hole

No need for 'sorry'.

Just reformatted my Seagate USB to NTFS (as it appears to be the most flexible for me) and copying media files over, whilst listening to Feist, as it could take a while.

Thanks again for all your help

Hi Black Hole

Sorry (my turn!) to bother you again but I stupidly only copied the .ts files over and then deleted the (what I believe are called) side files as I thought they were not needed with decrypted files.

Is there a way to get them automatically recreated please?

Would appreciate your help.

Update: Ignore this - I misread the above as the files needed decrypting!

There is a utility to generate the sidecars (search for "AV2HDR"), but whether that would work with encrypted files is another matter. Obviously it would not render the files playable straight off, but having created the .hmt it might then be possible to use the command line hmt utility to turn on the "encrypted" flag (get to the Telnet CLI and type "hmt" to list the options). Decrypted .ts files will play without the sidecar files, but you lose bookmarking and transport control, so let this be a lesson: always decrypt before or during archive, and keep the sidecars!

If you have lots of files to deal with, you need a script to work through them and apply hmt +encrypted to each one automatically (but avoid any others). Probably best to quarantine them in a specific folder for processing.

Hopefully there will be somebody along who knows the internals to say whether this will work (or at least be non-destructive), and provide the script (perhaps it could be done as a diagnostic?).

Back