Novice question

Hoarseman

Have just bought a HDR Fox 2, my first PVR, in fact , so its all black box to me

1) I have connected it to my Sony TV , using the HDMI and also have the arial out from the Humax connected into the TV(?) .
(I have selected the Humax power management on standby ,to "Off")

However, my TV will only receive TV programmes if the Humax is ON ( not on STANDBY or OFF).
Is this "Normal" ?

2) It seems to record and play back, fine -- but when recording , I can hear a constant, though faint ,stuttering chuntering sound from the HD (presumeably) .
Is this "Normal"?

Equipment :Sony KDL-26V4000 +HDR Fox T2

I think you are referring to the FreeView HDR FOX T-2, not the FoxSat version as you refer to the aerial connection. I have a Freeview HDR, so my answer relates to that, although, I suspect in this instance they will be similar.

If you are trying to view the TV via HDMI, then the Humax will have to be ON. That is normal, I would think the same applies to other manufactures boxes too. You should be able to watch TV (via the aerial connection) regardless of whether the Humax was ON or in STANDBY, however, it does have to be connected to the power and showing the clock etc. This is regardless of the power management setting.

As for the ticking/chuntering sounds, I would say that is normal too. It's the sound of the hard disk (HDD) heads moving back and forth. Even if you are not knowingly recording something, the Humax will be writing to the buffer just in case you wish to 'wind back' to watch something you just missed on live TV, for example.

Word of the day: CHUNTERING! Great word.

HTH.

The power management setting needs to be set to a level to allow aerial feed passthrough while the PVR is in standby,

Wallace :
Sorry --you are right , it is the Freeview version.
Thanks for re assurance on the "chuntering"

Is the answer different if I use a Scart connection --that is , will the TV remain "on" if the Humax is OFF or on "STANDBY" ?

Gomezz:
Thanks for reply
Re Power Management , my "Setting Power Saving in Standby" only has OFF and ON --- how do I vary the power setting to allow aeriel feed pass through ?

Gomezz:
Thanks for reply
Re Power Management , my "Setting Power Saving in Standby" only has OFF and ON --- how do I vary the power setting to allow aeriel feed pass through ?
You can't. Power saving has to be off to get aerial pass through. I get over it by splitting the aerial feed between TV and STB.

As I was not sure if we were talking about the Foxsat HDR which I do know about for sure or the Fox T2 which I do not I couched my advice carefully. My old Pioneer HDD/DVDR, for example, has more power management settings than simple ON and OFF.

What is the problem with just turning Power Saving off? You can use an external splitter but an unpowered splitter will degrade the signal on both outputs and a powered booster / splitter will use the same small amount of power as having Power Saving turned off.

It would help if members indicated their kit in the signature field. It saves asking questions. It has been suggested elsewhere that green be used for HDR and blue HD. This matches the pie chart colour.

The one that appears at the top right hand side of the screen when the Media button is pushed. (Freeview HD PVRs)
I only have the basic FOXSAT HD so I don't know about the PVR.

Gomezz /4291 :
My TV does not appear to receive a signal unless the Humax is ON. (When the Humax is on , from the point of view of the TV, it then doesn't matter whether the Humax power management setting is on "OFF" or "ON".)

When the Humax is on STANDBY , and with its power management setting on "OFF" ,however, my TV still doesn't "work" --- that is ,there doesn't appear to be any aerial pass through as you call it (?)

I could split the ariel before the Humax aerial input , in order to run a separate feed to the TV ,but this seems a "curious" solution for modern equipment ?

Apologies for earlier confusion and ignorance on these matters.

Gomezz /4291 :
My TV does not appear to receive a signal unless the Humax is ON. (When the Humax is on , from the point of view of the TV, it then doesn't matter whether the Humax power management setting is on "OFF" or "ON".)

When the Humax is on STANDBY , and with its power management setting on "OFF" ,however, my TV still doesn't "work" --- that is ,there doesn't appear to be any aerial pass through as you call it (?)

I could split the ariel before the Humax aerial input , in order to run a separate feed to the TV ,but this seems a "curious" solution for modern equipment ?

Apologies for earlier confusion and ignorance on these matters.
Does the TV work with the aerial plugged directly into the TV with the Humax off? I ask this in case the TV isn't switching back to tuner mode and is looking for a signal from the HDMI input.
I split the signal for power saving mode but the saving is minimal.

You have got the main aerial feed going to your HDR first then an aerial connection from the RF Out on the HDR to the aerial IN on the TV haven't you?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

The one that appears at the top right hand side of the screen when the Media button is pushed. (Freeview HD PVRs)
I only have the basic FOXSAT HD so I don't know about the PVR.
No such pie chart on my Foxsat HDR. What is its purpose?

To the OP, I have nothing to add to what has already been suggested.

It would help if members indicated their kit in the signature field. It saves asking questions. It has been suggested elsewhere that green be used for HDR and blue HD. This matches the piechart colour.
I would suggest that blue represents a USB drive and green an internal drive since both colours can appear on an HDR piechart.

@ Gomezz
The Pie chart is part of the Customised Firmware for the Freeview HDR Fox T2.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

The pie chart is standard in the Humax media screen... As well as being shown in the web interface.

I would suggest that blue represents a USB drive and green an internal drive since both colours can appear on an HDR piechart.
You can use what colour you like. One member prefers pink/cerise. You appear to prefer white. ;)

Sorry, Hoarseman we seem to have deviated from your problem. How are you getting on?

Back