Beta Offline decryption utility

I have noticed something odd about the (af123) Windows Version of stripts, I can successfully decrypt a file with the Humax's key but when using the same key for a check only I get an 'INCORRECT for this recording
Code:
stripts -@ 000378bd11f336333731303434393630 "input file name" "output file name"
[This produces a playable ts file]

stripts -/ 000378bd11f336333731303434393630 "input file name"
Encryption key is INCORRECT for this recording.
Note :- The key above has been changed from the one on my Humax

When using the stripts pakage, I enter
stripts -@ 000378bd11f336333731303434393630 "Match of the Day_20190414_0831" "Match of the Day_20190414_0831", but the resultant output file is 0 bytes in size. Note the key quoted above is not my actual key, but that listed in the wiki site..
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Obvious questions: are you at the right place in the folder tree, where the target file is stored? What output do you get from stripts -/ <key> <input_file>? Have you installed the beta version of stripts?

Good point, but the first thing that should happen is stripts finds it is unable to create the output file. If not, the 0 byte output will have overwritten the source!

If not, the 0 byte output will have overwritten the source!
I had to try it. You are right, of course - that is exactly what happens.
There is no error message, just a zero-byte 'output' file that has overwritten the input.

Incidentally the offline stripts is proving very handy for output from my HD-Fox, much quicker than copying files to an HDR that has the same key and later retrieving the decrypted files from there.

Last edited:
Hi all, thanks for the prompt replys. Been struggling with this all weekend, as not I'm pretty much a numpty where linux is concerned. Just a bit of background info. My hummy died, will not power up. Tried another psu, and hdd, in case either of them pulling it down.
Stripts ver. is 1.4.5,
I am in the same directory as the file.
I have tried using the o/p file name as the i/p file name, also tried with a new name, but that didn't even work I guess because the output file didn't exist. Just tried this last part by giving the file name of the destination of the 0 size recording and get "Incorrect Encryption key"

Hi anneofcleeves, you posted. "Incidentally the offline stripts is proving very handy"

I looked into this, but could find out enough information on how to use it.

Hi all, thanks for the prompt replys. Been struggling with this all weekend, as not I'm pretty much a numpty where linux is concerned. Just a bit of background info. My hummy died, will not power up. Tried another psu, and hdd, in case either of them pulling it down.
Stripts ver. is 1.4.5,
I am in the same directory as the file.
I have tried using the o/p file name as the i/p file name, also tried with a new name, but that didn't even work I guess because the output file didn't exist. Just tried this last part by giving the file name of the destination of the 0 size recording and get "Incorrect Encryption key"
We believe you have destroyed your original input file by overwriting it as the output file.

I looked into this, but could find out enough information on how to use it.
Looked into what? stripts is documented in the wiki.

If you mean decryption utilities for PC (not stripts): https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/windows-version-of-offline-decryption-hfodu.8770/

At this stage I'm not worried about destroying the original file as I still have that elsewhere. The object was to test/learn as there are many more files that need decrypting.

I meant looking into the offline version. hfodu requires cwgwin1.dll, but no matter what Windows version I download and install as per the instructions I still cannot get hfodu to run. I have 64-bit Win10. Hence trying the stripts package to work on my HDR Fox-T2

Is it? More a case of stupidity in, stupidity out, to paraphrase. There must be oddles of software out there that does this sort of thing.
Sure, but it isn't just an inconvenience if it destroys the input without producing an output.

I meant looking into the offline version. hfodu requires cwgwin1.dll, but no matter what Windows version I download and install as per the instructions I still cannot get hfodu to run. I have 64-bit Win10.
That's a question for the HFODU thread.

it isn't just an inconvenience if it destroys the input without producing an output.
I don't disagree, but sometimes it's hard to know when two seemingly different names actually refer to the same file.
Of course, the obvious simple name match would catch most occurrences.

I don't disagree with you either, but there is a clear problem even if it was intentional to submit the same filename for input and output. stripts needs to handle it sensibly, or at least bomb out with an error message.

"Sensibly" would be writing to a temporary file and then renaming it on successful completion.

Am I wrong, or should the OS make it impossible to open the same file for separate read and write access at the same time?

Back