Olympic fun

They say they are currently in the process of trying to design a new smart retune for the future which would mean the end user keeping their recording schedule as they are aware this does cause great inconvenience.
So it would cause inconvenience. I suspect that they are thinking of inconvenience to Humax the company. All new freeview models in the UK must be able to execute smart retunes. Humax would find it inconvenient if they had to withdraw from the UK DTT market or stop branding their recorders as 'freeview'.

The writer Dorothea Brande (who as an American was probably more prone to goodbys rather than goodbyes) said "So long as new ideas are created, sales will continue to reach new highs." but this is more a case of old ideas and UK DTT survival, unless Humax can market a killer feature buyers would think that they need that is not available in freeview branded models. Perhaps a feature that would consistently lose the sound during certain broadcasts e.g. a broadcast of Shakespeare's Hamlet's Act 4 scene 5 where a 2 letter s word is used to start a sentence.
Edit: Correct typo

Last edited:
School taught me the meaning of the word "typically". And that it is not an exact synonym of the word "always". That being the case everything after the first comma in the quote I posted is not necessary for a set of words to satisfy the definition.

School taught me the meaning of the word "typically". And that it is not an exact synonym of the word "always". That being the case everything after the first comma in the quote I posted is not necessary for a set of words to satisfy the definition.

Dear Me! :rolleyes:

At the risk of dragging this thread back on-topic...:rolleyes:

I was surprised that my recording of "Click" was perfect, seeing as when I manually tune to BBC News HD now, I get the "Poor signal" blank screen error message.

I can only think that the signal comes back at the recording time of 1.30am.

At the risk of dragging this thread back on-topic...:rolleyes:

I was surprised that my recording of "Click" was perfect, seeing as when I manually tune to BBC News HD now, I get the "Poor signal" blank screen error message.

I can only think that the signal comes back at the recording time of 1.30am.
What happens to the channel if you switch the HDMI output to 576i (for example)? HDMI at 1080P can nuke a weak UHF signal if the screening of the RF cables is insufficient.

I've added the version of "BBC FOUR HD" which will be on COM8 after the Olympics to my box, using LCN 115 (for now), taking an educated guess at the relevant service ID and PIDs. Time will tell if I got it right and will hopefully show whether there is any parallel running!

What happens to the channel if you switch the HDMI output to 576i (for example)? HDMI at 1080P can nuke a weak UHF signal if the screening of the RF cables is insufficient.
I did not know that.

It didn't record this week.

I'm not going to faff around the outputs;
I'll just watch it from iPlayer, if I remember.

Last week I was having issues consistently picking up COM7 and COM8 which are very boarderline. There was something funny going on as when they went from ok to not OK there was no in between state which I normally get when the signal is near the cliff edge - it was more like someone had flipped a switch. It turned out to be the ethernet cable to my youview box which was causing the interference.

Now the fun is over, it looks like there's going to be a DSO event tomorrow (er, today) just to wrap it all up.

(I have a tunefix-update update ready to go for T2 users who have that installed - just waiting to check that my guess for BBC FOUR HD was right...)

Now the fun is over, it looks like there's going to be a DSO event tomorrow (er, today) just to wrap it all up.
Have you seen sight of this or are you referring to the pop-up?
Although there has been the pop-up channel retune advice for this afternoon I don't have a retune event in my 1.02.20's schedule like I would normally have.

It seems there's been a bit of duff gen over the COM7/COM8 stuff.
BBC FOUR HD and CBeebies HD are back on COM7 as they always were.
Have you seen sight of this or are you referring to the pop-up?
Although there has been the pop-up channel retune advice for this afternoon I don't have a retune event in my 1.02.20's schedule like I would normally have.
No I haven't and I was referring to the pop-up. Maybe they thought it not worth forcing another one just to put these two back, although there have been quite a lot of other mux. moves in the intervening 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Just noticed today that in our HDR FOX favourites lists CBBC HD had replaced BBC Four HD. Had to go and edit the favourites to get it back.
I assume this is a relic of the olympic shuffle, but I'm rather surprised I hadn't noticed it till today. Has there been yet another fiddle in the last couple of days?

I have noticed something similar with BBC4HD. I had tunefixed it to LCN 7 (or 8) and up till I removed it from the tunefix renumber list the EPG had an entry something along the lines of "BBC4 HD has moved". Removing it from the tunefix list has got rid of the errant EPG entry, but it is not at LCN 106 either (unsurprisingly).

Can I get it back without a retune of the box?

Just noticed today that in our HDR FOX favourites lists CBBC HD had replaced BBC Four HD. Had to go and edit the favourites to get it back.
I assume this is a relic of the olympic shuffle, but I'm rather surprised I hadn't noticed it till today.
Can't explain that. The original CBBC HD didn't move, it was just suspended for the duration.
Has there been yet another fiddle in the last couple of days?
No.

I have noticed something similar with BBC4HD. I had tunefixed it to LCN 7 (or 8) and up till I removed it from the tunefix renumber list the EPG had an entry something along the lines of "BBC4 HD has moved". Removing it from the tunefix list has got rid of the errant EPG entry, but it is not at LCN 106 either (unsurprisingly).
You are operating outside the range of what tunefix-update can do automatically.
Can I get it back without a retune of the box?
Yes. Paste this into /mod/boot/tunefix-update.conf
Code:
CLONE1|106|BBC FOUR HD|40976|1|2|1|2|7|1002|201|202|201|40960|0|1|fp.bbc.co.uk
and reboot. You may wish to change the 106 to a free LCN of your choice to save any further need to shuffle things.

Last edited:
Thanks for that prpr. I'll do it tomorrow when I'm more awake than I am now and report back.

OK. Had a look and there's no file tunefix-update.conf in root\mod\boot\. There is a tunefix.conf though, but this is obviously not the right one. Do I have to create the file? If so, what text processor? I guess not notepad due to the LF/CR? I do have EditPadLite.

Back