Options to keep or replace FoxT2

I have a 1TB HDR FoxT2 which is becoming increasingly noisy which I think is the hard drive rather than the fan. I am getting concerned therefore that it might be on its way out.

Options I am considering are
  • Replacing the HDD in the FoxT2. Is this easy to do and what HDD should I be looking at buying. Also can I save programmes on the current HDD to a new one?
  • Purchasing a new (or Humax refurbished) HDR-1800T . If I went for this option could I supplement the much smaller HDD by adding an external hard drive and if so how would you be able to distinguish which HDD you are recording programmes to?
Also, are there other options I could consider. The Fox T2 was such a well reviewed recorder and has served me very well and I am aware that a lot of the more recent Humax PVR's aren't as good as the older models.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave

Replacing the HDD in the FoxT2. Is this easy to do
Yes. Commissioning, Disassembling, and Repairing an HDR-FOX (click)

what HDD should I be looking at buying
There are many options and many discussions already on this forum, eg https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/replacement-hard-disk-recommendations.3730/, but it is a moving target. In general, best to stick with the original Seagate Pipeline 0.5, 1, or 2 TB models (if you can find one), or another drive (up to 2TB) specified for "PVR use".

More info: Things Every... (click) section 12.

Also can I save programmes on the current HDD to a new one?
Easy enough, if done correctly. You will need a USB-SATA adapter/caddy, unless you are willing to involve a PC. Alternatively, leave them where they are and play via the USB adapter.

If I went for this option could I supplement the much smaller HDD by adding an external hard drive
Why do you think an 1800T has a "much smaller HDD"?

how would you be able to distinguish which HDD you are recording programmes to?
Simple: you can't record to an external drive.

The Fox T2 was such a well reviewed recorder and has served me very well and I am aware that a lot of the more recent Humax PVR's aren't as good as the older models.
Correct, and if the HDD is all that's wrong with it repair is your best option. You are clearly unaware of the additional features of Custom Firmware, and unfamiliar with this forum which means you have a great deal of catching up (and awakening) to do.

New Readers Start Here (click)

Glossary (click)

Newbies' Guide to the Forum (click)

Last edited:
Also the hard drive in an 1800T is a 2.5" rather than a 3.5".
I thought it did, but wasn't sure. :D
Simple: you can't record to an external drive.
I suppose you could add a large external USB drive. Copy from the 1800T HDD to the USB drive (overnight?) some recordings, delete from HDD etc. Tedious!
If Dave wants to go down the route of a new or refurbished Humax the 2000T might be a better option. The 2000T and 1800T are essentially the same model except for the size and type of HDD and, I think, two USB ports on 2000T and one for 1800T.

Thanks peeps. I might go for the HDD replacement option having looked at the thread as even I should e capable of doing that without mucking it up. If I did go for a replacement model I would look at official Humax 'refurb' from their website. This is where I got my current Fox T2 and the 9300 I had before that and which were both 'as new'.

I've just ordered a new (they say) 2TB Seagate Pipeline from an Amazon supplier, so they are still available.
eBuyer have them too but slightly more expensive and for me Amazon was easier.

I have downloaded the Customised Firmware. Followed the instructions and now when I turn on the Fox T2 it displays Custom Firmware 3.03 on the front panel briefly on start up. However when I go into the system settings information it tells me that the firmware is still 1.03.12. Is that correct?

I have downloaded the Customised Firmware. Followed the instructions and now when I turn on the Fox T2 it displays Custom Firmware 3.03 on the front panel briefly on start up.
I presume you mean 3.13.

However when I go into the system settings information it tells me that the firmware is still 1.03.12. Is that correct?
Yes, because you're looking with the Humax standard interface, which knows nothing about CF. If you want the full detail, look at the bottom of the WebIF main page.
The Custom Firmware does not interfere with the normal day-to-day operation of the HD/HDR-FOX, and you will see no difference to the user interface on the TV screen

I asked Western Digital! You're quite a spiky fellow.
Now you're being silly. If you don't accept what our gurus have to say, that's your choice and at your own risk. Spiky? No, brief and to the point.

So what hard disk options do I have?
I believe I covered that in post 2, and there is another appropriate comment in post 9.

Back