Output to S-Video?

(How) would it be possible to get an S-Video signal out of the HDR-Fox T2? Would a rather expensive signal converter be required?

There are S-Video C and Y components specified as pins on a SCART connector, but they are also described as "rarely supported".

What are you trying to achieve? It can probably be done better another way.

I am trying to connect 3 video sources to a Slingbox Pro HD. The available video inputs on the Slingbox are:
- Component video
- Composite
- S-Video.
I have already used the composite and component video inputs for other devices (which don't have S-Video output), so have one remaining input on the Slingbox which is S-Video. That's the one that I was hoping to connect the Humax to

The idea is to use it to multiplex a different input, not convert the signals. Connect everything by component video (the best quality of the three), and select the source by sending an IR signal through the Slingbox.

Ah I see. Unfortunately that would create its own issues....firstly none of my source devices have component video outputs. Secondly the Slingbox doesn't support IR commands for that sort of device. It's possible that you can create a custom BIN file for the Slingbox which could do that, but that is way beyond my capabilities.

I thought you said you are using the component video input? The HDR-FOX has component video.

I realise it is an extra expense, but the switch box would let you bring the HDR-FOX signals in on the same input. Alternatively, use an HDMI switch box before the HDMI-to-component converter (seems a bit silly that the Slingbox should be marketed as "HD" and not have an HDMI input - the consequence is that a digital source has to be converted to analogue to then feed into the Slingbox to convert back to digital).

Your objections about IR support are not valid on the face of it - the indicated switch box is supposed to be able to learn from any handset, so you could choose a handset the Slingbox knows about.

Rather than buy the component switching box I could maybe use my AV receiver as the "switch box" (an Onkyo TX-NR515). I've just remembered that it's network-enabled, so with the help of a VPN into my LAN I could remote control it from an Android device (i.e. power it on/off and switch between sources). I could use an HDMI splitter to replicate the current feed from the receiver to the TV into the HDMI to component video converter that I've ordered, and then into the Slingbox. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I guess it's because I've never really used the network features of the Onkyo.

Pretty sure a HDR-FOX-T2 doesn't have component out. HDMI, Scart RGB or Composite and Composite RCA Phono. HD capable component outputs are now very rare due to being able to copy HD content. Even older blu-ray players have the component outputs crippled to SD resolution.

Last pvr I owned with component out was the SD Topfield 5800 which can output YCrPb using the RGB connections in a scart cable.

Last edited:
Yes the scourge of copyright protection has blighted the lives of home entertainment consumers. I'm guessing that's why the "HD" Slingbox doesn't have any HDMI inputs.

Pretty sure a HDR-FOX-T2 doesn't have component out. HDMI, Scart RGB or Composite and Composite RCA Phono. HD capable component outputs are now very rare due to being able to copy HD content. Even older blu-ray players have the component outputs crippled to SD resolution.

Last pvr I owned with component out was the SD Topfield 5800 which can output YCrPb using the RGB connections in a scart cable.
You're right, I was thinking (incorrectly) of RGB. Regardless, I knew it wouldn't be a full HiDef output. The alternative setting for the SCART output (CVBS) would provide the C and Y (V) signals for S-Video mentioned before.

You're right, I was thinking (incorrectly) of RGB. Regardless, I knew it wouldn't be a full HiDef output. The alternative setting for the SCART output (CVBS) would provide the C and Y (V) signals for S-Video mentioned before.

No it won't at least in so far as picture quality is concerned. Composite (CVBS) has the two components of S-Video (luminance and chrominance) combined, that why you get the patterning on certain textures due to crosstalk between the two as they are seperated. Only keeping the two seperate throughout the recording chain as in a S-VHS recorder will retain the advantage. It's possible to create S-Video from RGB .

eg

https://www.keene.co.uk/keene-rgb-to-s-video-convertor-uk-psu.html

Ah, OK - I had assumed CVBS were four separate signals rather than one combined signal. Sorry about that.

CVBS Composite Video Blanking and Synch. Only has two conductors signal and screen. When using RGB the composite video connection in a scart provides the synch signal. Component carries the synch on one of the three connections. S-Video is easy to turn into composite you just connect the luminance and chrominance conductors together.

No it won't at least in so far as picture quality is concerned. Composite (CVBS) has the two components of S-Video (luminance and chrominance) combined, that why you get the patterning on certain textures due to crosstalk between the two as they are seperated. Only keeping the two seperate throughout the recording chain as in a S-VHS recorder will retain the advantage. It's possible to create S-Video from RGB .

eg

https://www.keene.co.uk/keene-rgb-to-s-video-convertor-uk-psu.html
Thanks. I rather feared that a pricey converter might be required. I think I'll try the Onkyo switching caper to see if it's a workable solution.

Thanks. I rather feared that a pricey converter might be required. I think I'll try the Onkyo switching caper to see if it's a workable solution.

Pretty sure using a slingbox (HD or not) quality is going to be down to your ISP upload speed. Using a Broadband speed checker like http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ what is your upload speed.

Unless you have a exceptional upload speed this is likely to be the limiting factor. For most of us download is much faster than upload. Mine is 70Mbps which is fast enough given one user to cope with a full quality Blu-ray stream if one existed.

Upload speed is 2.42 Mbps way less than even the crap quality SD channels let alone the 720 x 576 BBC channels. It;s not going to look great, nowhere near as good as downloading content to watch on line from say BBCI player or streamed abroad using a VPN service,

You should look at using a local Freesat or Freeview recording box with IP streaming connected to your network. SD quality streaming of recordings or live over the internet is pretty good on a mobile device.

https://www.vboxcomm.com/uk-freeview-and-freesat.html

Back