Packages and Things!

So I am now very slowly starting to unravel the mysteries herein, but I wonder if I might ask a question or two please.
How does one run a package, in general, and in particular say for example how to run DetectAds?

Also, could someone please explain why there is an entry in my Schedule folder called BBC Red button, can I delete it?
Thank you

So I am now very slowly starting to unravel the mysteries herein, but I wonder if I might ask a question or two please.
How does one run a package, in general, and in particular say for example how to run DetectAds?
The answer to this question is available here https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/quick-start-guide.1301/#post-28409

You need to install the package. Once you have it installed its execution depends on what sort of thing it is. Thus the package notes which B;ack Hole has provided you with a link.

To install a package the easiest way is to open the Web Interface and click on the icon that is labelled "Package Management"
To use the Web Interface the first you first needs to install some custom firmware.

Therefore the answer to your question is:
1/ Install custom firmware
2/ Install the full Web Interface
3/ On the Web Interface, via Package Management, install the package
4/ To run what you have installed read the package's notes
For more detail see the links that Black Hole has supplied to you plus Black Hole's Quick Start guide

Also, could someone please explain why there is an entry in my Schedule folder called BBC Red button, can I delete it?
You don't need custom firmware to place something in the schedule for the BBC Red Button channel (LCN 250). This channel was also on your DTR-T1010 unless you hid it, which these days doesn't do a very good job of hiding it. To add an entry to the schedule for that channel you can go into the schedule and add one manually. The youview boxes don't allow you to add an entry for the BBC Red Button to the schedule, but who would want to? However, the youview boxes don't allow you to add an entry to the schedule for BBC RB 1. I know which I prefer and it's not youview!
There are also various packages which depending on what you have adjusted their settings to , can also add reservations to the schedule but I'm not going to go through them and list which ones they are!
If you are still puzzling on what triggered the schedule entry then there may be some clues to be had by considering the other details of the reservation.
can I delete it?
Yes, but if you have installed a package that can create it then you may find that it comes back.

The answer to this question is available here https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/quick-start-guide.1301/#post-28409

You need to install the package. Once you have it installed its execution depends on what sort of thing it is. Thus the package notes which B;ack Hole has provided you with a link.

To install a package the easiest way is to open the Web Interface and click on the icon that is labelled "Package Management"
To use the Web Interface the first you first needs to install some custom firmware.

Therefore the answer to your question is:
1/ Install custom firmware
2/ Install the full Web Interface
3/ On the Web Interface, via Package Management, install the package
4/ To run what you have installed read the package's notes
For more detail see the links that Black Hole has supplied to you plus Black Hole's Quick Start guide

You don't need custom firmware to place something in the schedule for the BBC Red Button channel (LCN 250). This channel was also on your DTR-T1010 unless you hid it, which these days doesn't do a very good job of hiding it. To add an entry to the schedule for that channel you can go into the schedule and add one manually. The youview boxes don't allow you to add an entry for the BBC Red Button to the schedule, but who would want to? However, the youview boxes don't allow you to add an entry to the schedule for BBC RB 1. I know which I prefer and it's not youview!
There are also various packages which depending on what you have adjusted their settings to , can also add reservations to the schedule but I'm not going to go through them and list which ones they are!
If you are still puzzling on what triggered the schedule entry then there may be some clues to be had by considering the other details of the reservation.

Yes, but if you have installed a package that can create it then you may find that it comes back.
So this BBC Red button channel, exactly what does it do, because when I turn the box on this morning there it was on the screen with instructions to press the red button to access BBC programmes, so in other words I am confused by this. Can I ignore this channel completely?
Thanks for the details regarding running packages, will soldier on with my reading.
Thanks again
Re: BBC Red button channel, in the programme column it read 'disable OTA', does that mean anything?

Go to the settings for the disable-ota package and disable the option to create a reminder for the OTA period.
Then delete the event from the schedule.

Go to the settings for the disable-ota package and disable the option to create a reminder for the OTA period.
Then delete the event from the schedule.
So by installing the package disable-ota, this prevents the OTA Humax update from being installed and thus overriding the CF, and the BBC Red button schedules a reminder, so this can be left as is, what do I do though when the BBC Red button message appears on the TV screen?.

These days, there's as much chance of an OTA Humax update as of Big Dog resigning.

BBC Red Button is a data channel acting as the root for those "Press Red to view" things. AIUI, it was used in the disable-ota package because switching to it during the OTA schedule period didn't wake the disk. As a side-effect, BBC Red Button is shown instead of the last channel that you were watching (subject also to boot-settings configuration) when you turn on next day.

So by installing the package disable-ota, this prevents the OTA Humax update from being installed and thus overriding the CF, and the BBC Red button schedules a reminder, so this can be left as is,
That was the package's original intention but there are no longer OTA updates. OTA updates stopped years ago.
The OTA package tries to stop the box looking for one. The reminder was a fail safe in case the initial attempt to stop the search occurring did not work.

what do I do though when the BBC Red button message appears on the TV screen?.
It depends what you want to do next with the HDR-FOX-T2.
The message isn't a separate massage to the channel. It is part and parcel of what that channel is broadcasting. If you want to watch another channel you just navigate to the channel of your choice.
It is the same with other channels. Say you are watching ITV on 103. If ITV are including something in their current programme that you don't want to continue watching you can just switch to another channel, and watch that other channel instead of 103.

So this BBC Red button channel, exactly what does it do, because when I turn the box on this morning there it was on the screen with instructions to press the red button to access BBC programmes, so in other words I am confused by this. Can I ignore this channel completely?
It is the same channel that was on LCN 250 as your DTR-T1010 and has nothing to do with watching normal BBC programmes. The big difference was that in 2017 youview updated their software to stop easy access to the BBC's tradition text service from the BBC's TV channels and from LCN 250. WHen youview did that they still left 250 so that it displayed the "Welcome to BBC Red Button" text. Youview simply just nobled the ability for the red button to work from there successfully.
It is not as useful as it use to be on the HDR-FOX T2 as the BBC's traditional text pages can be accessed from most of the SD version of their TV channels without going to 250 first. It also has a "secret" many which among other things included an SD test card, but although the menu still exists the testcard no longer does.
The BBC Red Button channel can still be useful if you come across a need for a channel that has no video or audio.

Thanks for the details regarding running packages
Did the HDR-FOX T2 come with custom firmware already installed?
If it did then it may need updating to a more recent version.
Which version is it on ? And which version of the official software is it on?

Thanks for the details regarding running packages, will soldier on with my reading.
Thanks again
Re: BBC Red button channel, in the programme column it read 'disable OTA', does that mean anything?
If I might chip in this late:

The HDR-FOX will wake up at 0430 every day to check for a non-existent OTA ("over-the-air") update. This was a means to distribute firmware updates using a TV channel side-stream, before the Internet was more-or-less universal, and is now defunct.

The disable-ota package prevents the 0430 OTA search, but is not foolproof. Setting a reminder schedule to cover the 0430 period a fall-back preventative measure to ensure an update is never looked for (which would over-write our custom firmware) by setting a higher-priority task, and the Red Button service on LCN 250 is a safe service to set a reminder for (no audio stream so it's silent, and no video stream so nothing to tax the TSR buffer on the HDD).

(The "Red Button" service LCN 250 carries the data stream which provides the Red Button equivalent of Teletext: news, sport, etc, available through the Red Button menus. Alternative video (eg for sports) is accessed via Red Button but is carried on 601, and can be selected directly.)
  • You can set any service you like for the OTA reminder, through WebIF >> Settings. Then the first time you turn on in the day (after 0430) will default to that serivce.

• You can disable the reminder schedule entirely through WebIF >> Settings, it's no longer essential (but you will need to remove the actual schedule entry manually, see WebIF >> Schedule).

• You can use the boot-settings package (and its settings in WebIF >> Settings) to configure various defaults each boot (including service), which will override any service implemented through the disable-ota package.
For more details see Preventing External Events from Disturbing the CF (click).

Last edited:
Thank you for the overwhelming response to my questions, and the numerous detailed explanations, you guys are so into this thing, I thank you very much for your enthusiasm if nothing else, this is a tremendous forum.

Back