Pause on Live TV no longer works

Sargan

I have a FOX HDR T2
Last week it stopped allowing 'pause' on live TV .....
It is still making recordings OK, pause works fine on recording playback - but not on live TV.

The 'PVR' button on remote does flash read when pause pressed, so again giving confidence in the remote.
Removed all cables powered off .... still the same.

Been advised it is a corrupt time shift buffer, and I should use Maintenace mode to rename the 0.ts file
Never done this could somebody give me a bit of guidance on this or point me to somewhere if such a response already been provided.

PVR is running Custom f/w 3.10

Last edited:
Without using maintenance mode you could try the tsr/enable diagnostic function on the webif diagnostics page and then reboot to see if that helps

BTW your custom firmware is out of date, current level is 3.13 though that is unlikely to be affecting the TSR

Been advised it is a corrupt time shift buffer, and I should use Maintenace mode to rename the 0.ts file
Who by, where?

Renaming 0.ts would just leave a large file occupying disk space while another 0.ts gets created. That's OK if the original 0.ts was harbouring a disk fault (it would be effectively quarantined), but I wouldn't do it unless that's specifically what I was trying to achieve.

OK ... worse than I thought ... any time recordings, single or series are failing.
up till last week OK .... so assume it’s linked to the same fault.
They show as recording ... if I press ‘stop’ it lists what should be recording (as normal)
However when it finishes there is nothing captured, and no error message.

also any ‘immediate’ recording - via pressing red record button again show as recording, but no File at the end of it.

help appreciated.

They show as recording ... if I press ‘stop’ it lists what should be recording (as normal)
However when it finishes there is nothing captured, and no error message.

also any ‘immediate’ recording - via pressing red record button again show as recording, but no File at the end of it.
I would say the file system has problems. Try using fix-disk see https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Maintenance_Mode_Disk_Check

so assume it’s linked to the same fault.
Yep. The likelihood is your HDD has gone "read only" - which is a file system error resulting in nothing being written to the drive. Fixing it will involve installing Custom Firmware as a firmware update (but not the full WebIF etc, which needs the HDD).

The link in the post above will tell you what you need, or you might prefer my step-by-step walk-through:

Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click)

Was just mentioning its installed as custom f/ware is required to run the tools ......
Fixdisk on version 3.10 might be able to fix the problem but there were significant improvements to fixdisk in 3.13 so it would be worth installing it first,

You won't be able to reinstall the webif until you have sorted out the the hard drive.

Telnet set up, set into Main mode
Currently running fixdisk
Just read comment on upgrade - I will upgrade after fixdisk completes.
So far found 1 Bad Block

which f/ware ver should I install there are 3 listed:
Custom
Custom with DeBug
Custom with Stock

Is it the first one - Custom ?

Last edited:
The latest version is always preferred, because it is then only necessary to guide a user through the current set of tools rather than having to "downgrade" in our heads.

Have the f/w on USB stick ready to upgrade.
When fixdisk finshed does it give a report, should I collect or save any log ?
Seeing a number of:

Error reading block 234094912 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read) while getting next inode from scan. Ignore error? yes

Force rewrite? yes

OK ....fixisk completed
Upgraded custom f/w to current ver 3.13
Rerun fixdisk ..... took much longer this time
Interesting now had 26 bad blocks, all fixed successfully except for 1 which shows as 'skipped'

When I run fixdisk from custom f/w 3.1 it completed in under 2 Hrs, on this f/w it has now been running now for 12.5Hrs Hrs, so this looks like an overnight run - hope my PC does not drop out.

It seems to be repeating the following - but with LBA value changing each time.

Checking to see if this block is in use...
debugfs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
Block 234094916 is marked as in use

Searching for inode...
debugfs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
Block Inode number 234094916 <block not found>
Dev: /dev/sda LBA: 1874866198
LBA: 1874866198 is on partition /dev/sda2, start: 2104515, bad sector offset: 1872761683
dumpe2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
Using superblock 0
Block size: 4096

LBA 1874866198 maps to file system block 234095210 on /dev/sda2

I can continue to let it run if this behavious is correct,

OK ... that was good to know ..... OK ...it did finish, it took just over 17 Hrs. ... the text was:

------------------------

/dev/sda2: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

6840 inodes used (0.01%, out of 60334080)
720 non-contiguous files (10.5%)
7 non-contiguous directories (0.1%)
# of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 836/577/40
197717145 blocks used (81.94%, out of 241304332)
0 bad blocks
115 large files

5558 regular files
306 directories
2 character device files
0 block device files
0 fifos
4294967282 links
964 symbolic links (964 fast symbolic links)
0 sockets
------------
6559 files
Memory used: 2472k/0k (626k/1847k), time: 4631.44/2923.99/182.67
I/O read: 15551MB, write: 59MB, rate: 3.37MB/s
Sat Jul 25 05:05:35 BST 2020
Removing extra swap space.

Finished

fix-disk: session terminated with exit status 0

-----------------------

Tried it out ..... it is now recording from instant record button and Pause Live TV also now working.
Is there any 'reason' for the failure, or just HDD went corrupt somewhere.
Should I run any other targetted diagnostics or the fact its working leave it at that ?

or just HDD went corrupt somewhere.
Not so much the HDD as the file system.

A file system is effectively a database structure, with linked lists of pointers to actual data or areas where new data can be written... various events such as crashes could leave a few pointers in a corrupt state, and the robustness of any particular file system (in this case Ext3) is how well it can tolerate these corruptions or be repaired by external programs.

"Read only" prevents a bad situation getting worse, so (speculation) a file system going "read only" might be a self-protection mechanism.

Should I run any other targetted diagnostics or the fact its working leave it at that ?
The SMART stats will give an idea of the physical health of the HDD (as opposed to the file system).

Back