PC Construction

I'm not clear what you are saying here. Do you mean that there is no advantage in going beyond 2 modules - so 1 32GB is not as good as 2 x 16GB, and 4 x 8GB is no better than 2 x 16GB?

Sorry about that although I'm unsure if that's down to the subject matter or my cold tempering my ability to explain it :p Your actual choice of RAM of course is going to be tempered by price/availabilty, performance and possibly power consumption (every stick removed is power saved). Technically the first choice (2 x 16GB) would likely have a shorter data path between the pooled RAM & CPU than 4 x 8GB would expose but this advantage is vastly outweighed in practice by timings/frequency choice elsewhere - ignore this point. More on timings in a moment.

Overall there is a small *performance* advantage (~5% in computationally intensive scenarios) in running your memory in dual channel mode rather than single channel mode. So assuming 4 slots are available, 2 x 16GB or 4 x 8GB are valid choices. Of these, the first choice would use less power (cheaper to run) and leave a future upgrade path. However the second choice may be cheaper to buy (smaller matched modules "bundled" can often work out cheaper) but with no upgrade path you'd have to choose the minimum size wisely.

Returning to frequency/timings, it's worthwhile getting these factors right which can offset performance deficiencies with running single channel or enhance your performance of dual channel further. The Ryzen 1600 supports up to 2667MHz DDR4 RAM out of the box so there is little point buying faster RAM unless you intend to overclock. However at this frequency, Wikipedia shows four options available that differ in CAS latency (a grossly oversimplified but accessible explanation of this feature is the number of cycles it takes to read/write to the RAM, so the fewer cycles, the better). They are 17-17-17 (12.75 nanoseconds CAS), 18-18-18 (13.5ns), 19-19-19 (14.25ns) and 20-20-20 (15ns). Invariably, the lower the latency the more costly the RAM. I don't have any hard data to hand to quantify this but I'm sure you can see that when you multiply up the sheer number of read/writes that occur to RAM in any given scenario, those nanoseconds quickly add up to another measurable improvement. The main takeaway point is not all RAM is equal even at a given frequency.

To summarise then: in your chosen scenario, with 4 slots to play with and providing you can afford 32GB as your first step, then the optimal configuration *for performance* would be 2 x 16GB with the lowest CAS latency you can find/afford. This has the additional bonuses of being the most power efficient whilst leaving 2 slots for future upgrades. (FYI - my own use case estimate doesn't require more than 32GB for the lifetime of the system, so I would follow the same logic but choosing 2 x 8GB to start with and hoping that RAM prices come down to more sensible levels before I need the upgrade).

I had come to that conclusion too, Amazon currently have the Ryzen 5 1600 at £190 (give or take) and the 1600X at £220, but the 1600 includes a cooler while the 1600X doesn't and will need another tenner spent on a cooler. I'm not absolutely settled on the CPU though... if you were buying an Aston Martin it would be the 6 litre V12 wouldn't it?

Personally if I had Aston Martin money then I'd buy a Vincent Black Shadow! But I get your point. I'm sure we all know people that blindly follow the hype and consequently have a core i7/Nvidia 980 beast to browse the Internet. I believe in matching the tools to the job and avoiding unnecessary expense :)

I'm thinking of playing with water cooling (or even something more exotic) at a later date - stock speeds and stock cooling will do for the moment.

If overclocking isn't entirely off the table then you may want to get faster (frequency) RAM upfront after all.

I have seen a comment that as the 6-core chips are just the 8-core chips with two cores faulty and disabled, they have more cache per core than the Ryzen 7 and can achieve a higher performance per core (per MHz).

I know Ryzens contain a pair of four-core complexes (CCX) from which lesser models are created by disabling cores e.g. Ryzen 1600 has one core nobbled per CCX. I *think* (not fact checked) that each core gets it's own dedicated L1 and L2 cache leaving the L3 cache to be shared equally between each CCX. But whilst 8MB shared between 3 cores means each may have access to a larger portion of L3 before hitting RAM, I would think it far more likely that the fewer physical cores left can be pushed harder within the same 65W power envelope yielding a better per core performance (though not as good as all cores active of course).

Really? No mobos with built-in video at all? If so, I will have to buy my graphics card now (another minefield).

The MoBo's only expose the iGPU incorporated in the CPU package. Intel's have them, Ryzen's don't. I guess the logic is sound insofar as Ryzen's were aimed squarely at gamers/power users who will want their own dedicated GPU anyway and the power that the iGPU would use can be channelled into powering the extra cores.

The Ryzen APU's are already overdue. The CTO of AMD promised “beautiful thin and light” laptops along with “AAA gaming performance”. If true to form, I think they and their desktop counterparts will be a compelling proposition for people like myself that don't want or need the power draw that separate dedicated CPU & GPU's take.

I'm loving this, thanks for committing to paper. As an old-school design engineer I do at least have some idea about RAS and CAS timings, but they were so much slower in my day!

Somebody else in this thread was saying that they have had problems upgrading RAM by fitting more modules, unable to match them properly, and that I should fit all my projected RAM straight away. It's not that big a problem, it will all come from the same pot of money one way or another.

Personally if I had Aston Martin money then I'd buy a Vincent Black Shadow! But I get your point. I'm sure we all know people that blindly follow the hype and consequently have a core i7/Nvidia 980 beast to browse the Internet. I believe in matching the tools to the job and avoiding unnecessary expense :)
When it boils down to it, I doubt I really need more than the cheapest Ryzen 3 - hell, my current daily workhorse is a 1.9GHz 2-core Celeron and 3GB RAM! There is a degree of "because I can" in the new build - I'll push the spec up to just before the prices get silly for the maximum affordable bragging rights. Then, when I do get into content creation for VR (as if), at least I'll be tooled up.

The Ryzen APU's are already overdue.
Shame I can't wait a bit longer then. However, for the same reason as the RAM, I can plump for a GPU (hoping it will accelerate video encoding) now if necessary - it's just an unwanted extra complexity at the moment. The CPU is so powerful I see no reason one of the cores couldn't be programmed to generate HDMI directly on an IO pin!

Somebody else in this thread was saying that they have had problems upgrading RAM by fitting more modules, unable to match them properly, and that I should fit all my projected RAM straight away. It's not that big a problem, it will all come from the same pot of money one way or another.
I have upgraded RAM in lots of systems over the years and never had a problem. I have a simple rule; I always buy RAM from Crucial Memory.

Somebody else in this thread was saying that they have had problems upgrading RAM by fitting more modules, unable to match them properly, and that I should fit all my projected RAM straight away.

I have upgraded RAM in lots of systems over the years and never had a problem. I have a simple rule; I always buy RAM from Crucial Memory.

I have 'upgraded' RAM, but for one reason or another it always seems to end up being a removal of the existing and fitting of a new set. Just being able to bung in a couple more modules a few years down the line has never worked for me, so personally I would rather front up for a 'full' set at the outset.

In actual fact, I've never had a problem either and that includes mixing modules from different manufacturers (anyone I help I scavenge their cast-offs for recycling if they get replaced). And I'm not saying there isn't wisdom in buying a matched memory pair from the get-go for peace of mind, but as long as you don't try & mix modules that have different sizes/frequency/CAS timings you should be good in my experience (Crucial's website is handy to get that info for any given laptop/MoBo).

RAM becomes difficult to source, even from Crucial, a few years down the road, and old RAM can be more expensive than the latest. CPU upgrades become like hens' teeth, too. Hence my fitting 12Gb in my laptop on getting it.

I would never buy or make a desktop any more, laptops are so much more usable. One upgrade worth the money is an SSD, which improves response by an order of magnitude.

You said something in an earlier post that suggested to me that there was a pot of money to cover 'the best' and it was a case of whether to buy the best now or buy cheaper now and upgrade later.

Given current interest rates (lack of) I'd say the decision rests on whether the current best will do for the expected life of the system, or if you expect to have to upgrade to a future best at some point. If the former I'd get it now, if the latter then it's deciding what to fill the gap with.

And of course, with the march of progress, the chances are good that the future best won't be properly compatible with your system anyway ...

I didn't even know there is a 16-core Ryzen! :envy:
Technically there isn't. AMD name their new high-end server processor range "Threadripper". Largest Ryzen is 8-core/16-thread.

But as for the "Wow factor" hardware, I was only reading today about the performance of the top-of-the-line Ryzen in terms of linux kernel compilation times. Back in 2000, when I compiled a (much smaller) Linux kernel on my then PII 350 I would set off the process and go out for lunch hoping it would be done by the time I got back. The new 1800x compiles a considerably larger kernel in under 30s!

As long as that?! I would have expected converting a bit of text into binary code without much mathematical jiggery-pokery to be a piece of piss for these wonder machines!

You said something in an earlier post that suggested to me that there was a pot of money to cover 'the best' and it was a case of whether to buy the best now or buy cheaper now and upgrade later.
Indeed, but I'm not aiming at a money-no-object machine otherwise it would be the Ryzen Threadripper or a twin Xeon with 64GB RAM and a GTX 1080 Ti (as per the god-tier machine in that article). The problem I that I would never be able to use all that power (except for running benchmarks and bragging about the figures). What I'm after is the sweet-spot in bang for buck, where I will still have POWER beyond the typical commodity PC hack but without spending a fortune on it (and it will still have more oomph than I will ever need, other than to get impatient with a video encode... which for all practical purposes can be sent off to get on with it on four cores in the background while I still have an entire Celeron left over to do my other stuff! Yes, I know I have a split personality.

I can spend the cash now or later, it makes no difference, but I don't want to find myself wasting money on something to be upgraded later. The point about the graphics card is that if there were a motherboard with integrated graphics (and I had no idea this only leveraged a video processor built into the CPU - I expected it to be a chip on the motherboard or at least built into the chipset), I could achieve my milestone of installing a Win7 VM into Linux with just a mobo, RAM, processor, and PSU (plus a few odds and ends I have kicking around anyway). Having to source the graphics card to get interaction with the system means adding another decision to the up-front shopping list, and it has already delayed purchase.

I'm pretty much settled on the Ryzen 5 1600 with 16GB RAM, thanks to the advice and thinking aloud here (cheers guys). I have not settled on the motherboard but there's a selection around the £100 price point.

For the graphics, https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/01/best-budget-graphics-card/ contains this great table (although I can't match the quoted prices):

IMG_2531.jpg

If I could get a 4GB RX 470 for the £180 quoted I would be sorely tempted (200GBps over a 256-bit bus, 2048 shaders and 128 texture units), but yes - I can see they would be of limited use to me except for rendering (which I won't be doing). so actually the choice is between the GTX 1050 Ti and RX 460 - but the only comparably priced 460's I can find are only 2GB, which puts the 1050 Ti better value.

Does it matter whose spin of GTX 1050 (or whatever) I chose? I presume these are different manufacturers of the finished product all using the same set of chips on their own PCB etc.

Yes, that God machine was a fair £step up from the others :eek: , but I didn't think you'd be aiming that high.

I know I'm probably missing something about the interaction with the CPU that was mentioned earlier, but if you only need the equivalent of motherboard graphics wouldn't any cheap (<£50) card so the job for now?

As I had to give up work early and have a very limited income, if you have benefitted from my forum input, donations would be greatly appreciated - even if it's only beer money. Contact me for details.

Seems to be working a treat! :whistling:

Nice of you to point that out - my capital is limited and will run out at the current rate of spend, but I'm going to enjoy it while I can! (I didn't have my capital when that was posted either.)

Last edited:
I know I'm probably missing something about the interaction with the CPU that was mentioned earlier, but if you only need the equivalent of motherboard graphics wouldn't any cheap (<£50) card so the job for now?
Yes, but I still have to choose and buy it - and then once I have it will I ever upgrade it?

Yes, but I still have to choose and buy it - and then once I have it will I ever upgrade it?
Yes, but the list above is 'budget' only in terms of high performance cards - the cheapest is well over £100 which is a lot to potentially bin in a year or two. Basic cards are less than £30, which is much less painful to replace.

To anyone on a tight budget I would recommend combing their local Freecycle/Freegle groups as they are a great source of pre-loved hardware.

Coincidentally, one of the video podcasts I follow ("Linux Game Cast") touches on your current topic of interest this week. The guy that produces the show has been planning a Ryzen build for some months now and he finally finished the build last week. In this week's show starting at minute 42 he talks about his new Ryzen 1700 powered studio PC (that performs all video/audio capture, editing & encoding prior to upload to various hosts). If you don't fancy watching for yourself, the statistic that might interest you is he said the last Wednesday show (~55 minutes run time) took 24 minutes to encode on the AMD FX but he re-ran it again on the new Ryzen and it only took 4 minutes! Impressive stuff.

EDIT: you can contact the guy yourself if you want to ask if he leverages CUDA or similar, I really don't know.

I think what BH is trying to ask is, what graphics slots are stable, and likely to last as far as an upgrade? Will an upgrade in 2 years' time mean a new MB, processor, memory and RAM?

Back