PC Construction

The gist of the article seems to be, put your money into the CPU rather than graphics card. The benchmarks are artificial rubbish. 1/10 for Apple Mac Pro.

Indeed, the same as a rear wing is a pointless addition to a car that never sees a track (or an autobahn). Not that I have one...

Spoiler%20Supreme_0.jpg

It'll take as long for BH to build this thing as it did for DT to calculate the answer...

You have missed an excellent film, I still thrill at the special effects.

Krell! One of my all time favourite films, Forbidden Planet.
Like BH, I thought I hadn't seen it - or even heard of it. But a quick google reveals that the Krell are the beings (never actually seen except in outline IIRC) in the Forbidden Planet film ... and I now understand that reference re post #105.

The krell had died out thousands of years before, leaving a still functioning computer of vast size, and nobody had any idea what its function was. Despite inevitable anachronisms, it is a superb film.

I had at least heard of it.
Ah, I wasn't being clear. I've heard of and indeed seen Forbidden Planet, at least twice though not in recent years. I took the reference in post #108 as a film called Krell (and didn't understand the reference to FP). (One problem with a small screen and my eyes being a bit fuzzy at the moment - the punctuation doesn't show clearly.)

Tyranny of choice: I'm still trying to decide which motherboard to buy. Some X370 mobos aren't too expensive, and have greater potential for system expansion.

(I had a flirt with the Threadripper listings - the 16-core Threadripper is almost £1000, and the cheapest mobo for it £300...)

As an aside, it appears that before the Ryzens actually came out they were being referred to as "Zen". IIRC Zen was a computer on Blake's Seven, but I'm vague on that (yes, I know about Orac).

.... I had a flirt with the Threadripper listings....
Incidentally, I discovered today I made a small mistake earlier in this thread: Threadripper is formally known as the AMD Ryzen Threadripper, no doubt leveraging the success of the Ryzen branding. All the tech journals I'd read prior to and around release referred to it simply as AMD Threadripper. Since it was aimed at the server market segment where Intel uses different nomenclature (Xeon) to differentiate their server oriented range, I didn't even bother to cross-check.

Back to the topic at hand: MY preference for the workload you've mentioned would be the Ryzen 1600 (or perhaps 1700) on a B350 board. Gaming isn't a priority so it doesn't matter about running dual GPU cards in SLI and I can see no other practical advantage for paying the premium for the X370. I'd prefer to take the money saved and plough it into quality RAM or bigger/better SSD.

As an aside, it appears that before the Ryzens actually came out they were being referred to as "Zen"
And I wished they had kept that to be honest, although I believe it was referring to the Buddhist connotation rather than Blake's Seven. But since you pricked my memeory, IIRC Zen was the Liberator's computer and Orac was the precocious but superior "portable" acquired later on. Ah memories ... Sandpits for planets, hair-tongs for weapons :)

Back