Picture suddenly disappears for about 1 second!

Interestingly, I powered up the box at lunch time and set it copying stuff to external drive.
TV was turned off, I don't know if it behaves differently if it detects nothing on end of hdmi cable but see second point below.

- The reallocation count has remained at zero since then (2.5 hrs).
- Copy seems to run faster with TV off, surely I must be imagining this!

Maybe a complete red herring, but I have a 1TB T2 HDR, and after about 3 months of ownership I started to get blank periods of playback, albeit with no sound, and eventually 2-3 minutes worth after which I got a "this service is scrambled" notice just before replay re-commenced. Rewinding and re-playing would NOT exhibit the issue - so not missing recoring data or bad sectors on the disc. More like a disk access issue. I reluctantly re-formmated the disc (losing my recordings, and yes I know there are ways of copying them off but too techy for me and nothing there I couldn't live without) using the Humax menu, and it's been perfect for the last 9 months. (that'll have cursed it!!)

- Copy seems to run faster with TV off, surely I must be imagining this!

May be not. If the cpu isn't monitoring the hdmi port then it has more spare resources. The old 9200 would copy to usb significantly faster if the aerial was removed first. Even selecting games mode rather than leaving the box working with a live TV feed sped up transfers (and improved the reliability as well)

This may be a red herring, but I have my external drives disconnected at the moment and I seem not to be getting the same degree of problems.

Beware of the output from the diskattr diagnostic. It checks /dev/sda which may or may not be the internal disk.

Edit: Doh, only just spotted the note "Remove USB HDDs before running". However, I still think it could be confusing. The internal drive could be mounted as /dev/sdb, someone removes all the external drives and it will still be /dev/sdb. I think it needs to either detect the internal drive or at least show which drive(s) are being checked.

If it should only check the internal disk, then this would work...
Code:
#!/bin/sh

for dir in /sys/block/sd? ; do
  if ls -l $dir/device | grep -q /devices/pci ; then
    dev=${dir#/sys/block/}
    break
  fi
done

smartctl -i -A /dev/$dev

Just to update you, I have backed up most of my recordings ready to reformat but, in the last couple of days, I have had not noticed any 1 second blanks and diskattr is not showing any sector reallocations.
I have not deleted the backed up stuff from the main disk so that is still over 50% full.

Strange.

For clarification, this problem does not seem to affect recordings or live chase recording.
12 months ago I had the problem where recordings would pixelate and jump by several seconds. That was sorted by a reformat.

I can confirm that diskattr does now work if there is an external drive in place, I will remove the WiKi 'Remove USB HDDs before running' note

I can confirm that diskattr does now work if there is an external drive in place, I will remove the WiKi 'Remove USB HDDs before running' note
Actually I think it might need an additional test for no internal disk. It will probably fall over on an HD.

I rebooted after removing my drives to make sure the internal drive would be sda.

HD-FOX:

Code:
>>> Beginning diagnostic diskattr
Running: diskattr
No internal disk found.

>>> Ending diagnostic diskattr

I am still getting a strange problem.

When watching live TV, the TV screen will black out for about one second then continue as normal, there is no interruption in sound AND if I rewind live the video on replay is fine (no loss of picture).
This will happen about one every two hours or so.

I've tried different HDMI ports and cables, same result.
I've tried Bluray player on same port - no problem.
TV is Sony KDL-40NX713.

Not sure if it started at the time of a particular Firmware update, didn't notice it was a regular occurrence for a while (if you blink you miss it).

This started sometime last year since when I have had the Humax replaced (duff HDD), and thought that may have been part of the problem. Obviously not, current disk shows no problems.

I'm trying to narrow it down TV or HUMAX.

ANY IDEAS PLEASE?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have seen this.

Do you have sysmon installed?

Yes I do.
Do you think that might be causing it then?
Or did you just want to know results:
I have used it at the time of the problem to check CPU and temp. Everything normal at the time, temp not even at peak.

Try removing it and report back.

sysmon has a habit of revealing a latent problem, but since I removed it my presumed latent problem has remained latent.

I had similar issues. They stopped when I removed the sysmon package. That was quite some time ago now and I have not had any re-occurrence of the problem. I have checked my HDD and it doesn't have any reallocated sectors etc.

Thanks for feed back so far, I have removed SysMon and will monitor and report back.

Here's hoping it is SysMon.

In a way it's a shame, if it is, as I quite like the tool. Still not essential and it can always be reloaded if I need it.

I wish I could remember when I first installed! I don't think it was back in April.

Back